Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riding/adventure boots?

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
I've always loved the look of boots like these. Money isn't the problem - finding a place to wear them (without being laughed at) is. Let's see, I could join the RCMP. Nah, I'm too old and I'm not Canadian. I could buy a horse. Nop again. I hate to shovel horse ****. I could wear them in a home made prono. I won't even go there. I could buy a vintage motorcyle. Hmmmm.

Paul

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Wow, Baggers, those look great! The whole outfit reminds me of something Roy Chapman Andrews or Percy Fawcett would wear.
How do you like the breeches so far?

Baggers

Practically Family
Flitcraft said:
Wow, Baggers, those look great! The whole outfit reminds me of something Roy Chapman Andrews or Percy Fawcett would wear.
How do you like the breeches so far?

Thanks. I like the breeches a lot. Nice, easy, comfortable fit. I can see why they were popular for tasks other than riding. Someone posted a link to some pictures of a 1920s archeological dig, and almost all the men in one shot were wearing them. A couple didn't have riding boots, but knee socks and ankle boots, so I've got another way to go that will be even more comfortable.

Cheers!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Those Would Be They

Can't wait for Mojave jack to weigh in here.

Baggers, those are It On A Stick. As good as I'd hoped. Now I'll have to get busy and hope on a good price.

Now I MUST get a motorcycle. (The Mrs. says "those are beautiful - where would you wear them?).

Baggers

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Can't wait for Mojave jack to weigh in here.

Should we PM him?

scotrace said:
Baggers, those are It On A Stick. As good as I'd hoped. Now I'll have to get busy and hope on a good price.

$250. Magnoli's are $325, which I don't know if the price includes shipping, but will probably have Customs tacked on once the package hits the States.

scotrace said:
Now I MUST get a motorcycle. (The Mrs. says "those are beautiful - where would you wear them?).

Definitely get a bike, especially if it's a Royal Enfield. It'll be cheaper in the long run than a horse. And do you really need to have a "place" to wear them? Oh "Ye of the A-2 in 100 Degree Weather?" ;)

Cheers!

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Biff Jones Boots Gentlemen

I believe thats what they were originally called. I have a pair from Dehners, made to fit and they are outstanding. I gave 180.00 in the 1970's, much higher now, but much better quality also. Made to fit!!!! Breeches look VERY good.

Baggers

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
God willing, he should be here tomorrow and I will let him know. :)

I like the spurs, and one seldom has occasion to wear them.

Oh yes, that's right, he is heading up to Bean Town to visit. Oh well, I just PM'd him and gave him a link to the post, so maybe he'll check it out tonight. If not, you can show him.

And spurs can be a pain. I always got them hooked up on something when I just walking around or trying to sit in a chair. But I never really used them when I was riding. My horse didn't need the extra "nudge" they would provide. He was accustomed to getting his directions from my knees, hands, and voice - and the occasional tap on the shoulder from my crop when he was getting sloppy! :)

We'll be heading out of town ourselves in the morning to spend the weekend with the wife of an old school friend who is in Iraq for the next six months, but I'm planning to take advantage of the location and do some more picture taking.

Look for mo' betta photos by Monday night!

And Prairie, thanks for the additional info. And yes, if I needed these for serious work, the Dehners would be the ones to get. But, OY! Those are some expensive boots now! You really do pay for quality, even more so these days! :eek:

Cheers!

Sam Cox

Familiar Face
Gday
The boots look pretty good,what did they run at?
any pics of lining and general construction please?
any idea what type of leather?
thanks
Sam

Baggers

Practically Family
G'day Sam,
The boots retail for $250 USD. No pics of the interior (yet) but the shafts are lined with a thin leather. The leather used for the upper is unknown, but it feels very supple. This is not a very heavily made combat type boot but more of a dress boot. The construction appears very conventional with a sewn on leather sole and probably a glued outsole as the stitching doesn't run through to the other side, and what appears to be stacked leather for the heels with a nailed on rubber base. White metal of some kind is used for the buckles along with a thin metal (brass?) being used for the grommets on the shafts that the straps run through.

Hope I was able to answer your questions.

Cheers!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Knee-high boots or leggings w/ankle boots??

I might be diverting this thread just a bit, but the theme remains the same. In my opinion, no adventurer's wardrobe would be complete without a decent pair of russet knee-high leather boots. There are a number of suitable boots available on the market ranging from traditional equestrian boots to reproduction cavalry boots even to snake-proof boots. Lately, I have been considering an alternative - ankle high boots with leather leggings (a.k.a. half chaps or gaiters). Seems to me that this combination might prove a bit more versatile (for those of us who actually put them to use in-the-field) than the all-leather tall boots. I'm thinking about a pair of repro WWII service boots (with that comfy & egronomic Munson last) coupled with a set of all-leather leggings of similar color. So far all the leggings I've found are too modern looking (i.e. lots of velcro and such).

Two questions for everyone:
1. Any pointers on where to find vintage looking leather leggings?
2. What do you think should be in the adventurer's wardrobe - tall boots or ankle boots with leggings?

Cheers,
Mike

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Capital boots, Baggers! Good show! It's settled now; you must come to the QM. As Scot's wife pointed out, where will you wear these? Well, the QM's the place! It looks like Adventure Casual is the thing for at least one evening!

I'm really interested in the WPG breeches. I've currently only got a pair of German police breeches in a light olive, but they were inexpensive and are god quality. Khaki is the color, though. I have a pair of WPG khaki cotton trousers, and stupidly made the mistake of putting them in the dryer. They shrank like mad, of course, and I've balked at buying any more of Jerry's cotton items.

Mike, check out Lawrance Ordnance's repro boots and leggings. Baggers has the boots, and has looked into the leggings, so he can give you some direct feedback. I have seen the leggings come on eBay, though you'll have a heck of a time matching the boot leather. Another option I've been trying to trying to find are those really tall wool socks worn over breeches and low boots. Anybody seen a source for those socks? Ken might know, with his interest in Mallory and other climbers.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mojave, for the socks just check any number of outdoor suppliers (Cabelas, Campmor, MountainGear, REI, SummitHut, etc.). There are numerous tall wool socks that might fit your needs. Take a look at Thorlos Mountaineering Socks as an example. I'm an outdoor fanatic and gear junkie, so if you can't find anything in the list of outfitters above just PM me (my stack of outdoor catalogs is bigger than my PhD dissertation).

There's a great little online store you guys & gals might want to check out. Since it's an eBay store, however, I cannot post a direct link to it from the Lounge. However, you can custom order a number of tall boot styles (civilian & vintage military) for about $100 each. PM me if you want the store info.

What do you think...should I go with tan or russet brown??
1132292712085_EquitacionZipperTan01.jpg
1110171516114_EquitacionCafe01.jpg

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
Capital boots, Baggers! Good show! It's settled now; you must come to the QM. As Scot's wife pointed out, where will you wear these? Well, the QM's the place! It looks like Adventure Casual is the thing for at least one evening!

Glad you like 'em. Yeah, I guess I'm going to need to make the QM. It's too tempting to not show up in full regalia. I took a few more shots over the weekend while I was down in Central Texas and will be posting one or two in a couple of days. Your previous avatar will give you an inkling of what they'll look like.

Mojave Jack said:
I'm really interested in the WPG breeches. I've currently only got a pair of German police breeches in a light olive, but they were inexpensive and are god quality. Khaki is the color, though. I have a pair of WPG khaki cotton trousers, and stupidly made the mistake of putting them in the dryer. They shrank like mad, of course, and I've balked at buying any more of Jerry's cotton items.

I've never had any problems with his stuff shrinking too much, but I never run them through the dryer on heat. I always hang dry them and they come out fine.

Mojave Jack said:
Mike, check out Lawrance Ordnance's repro boots and leggings. Baggers has the boots, and has looked into the leggings, so he can give you some direct feedback. I have seen the leggings come on eBay, though you'll have a heck of a time matching the boot leather. Another option I've been trying to trying to find are those really tall wool socks worn over breeches and low boots. Anybody seen a source for those socks? Ken might know, with his interest in Mallory and other climbers.

Yes, the Lawrance Ordnance leggings are good, but unless you have short legs, they may not be tall enough. I don't know though, I've seen pictures of troops wearing what appeared to be short leggings, so that may not be problem. I may still try a pair just to see how they fit on me. As for socks, Orvis has tall socks made to go with their breeks. They look pretty good in the catalogue and they're only $25.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
There's a great little online store you guys & gals might want to check out. Since it's an eBay store, however, I cannot post a direct link to it from the Lounge. However, you can custom order a number of tall boot styles (civilian & vintage military) for about $100 each. PM me if you want the store info.

What do you think...should I go with tan or russet brown??

I think I'd go with the russet. A little more versatile for a number of interpretations.

I've seen those boots on the 'bay. Have you gotten a pair from them? I see their auctions come up, but then when I want to find them I never can. In the past they've had boots that lace all the way up, like M1917 boots. Universally hated because they took so long to lace, but they had to be better than wrapping puttees!

Mike K. said:
Mojave, for the socks just check any number of outdoor suppliers (Cabelas, Campmor, MountainGear, REI, SummitHut, etc.). There are numerous tall wool socks that might fit your needs. Take a look at Thorlos Mountaineering Socks as an example. I'm an outdoor fanatic and gear junkie, so if you can't find anything in the list of outfitters above just PM me (my stack of outdoor catalogs is bigger than my PhD dissertation).
Are you working on your dissertation now? I'm having some advisory woes right now, and still don't know if I'll be taking my primary field exam this fall or more coursework. :mad:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari