Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riding/adventure boots?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Are you working on your dissertation now? I'm having some advisory woes right now, and still don't know if I'll be taking my primary field exam this fall or more coursework. :mad:

I'm 'ABD' on the PhD. Course work done, exams done, field research finishing in a few weeks. Hang in there Mojave...it's worth the hassles! Just wear some of these adventuring boots into your next committee meeting and take charge!

-Mike

Repro Guy

New in Town
Does anyone know where I could get something like this, but with a "shorter" height? Maybe just above the ankle.

1132292712085_EquitacionZipperTan01.jpg

Been after something like this for a while, ideally something with a "low" heel too. Can't really describe what I'm after very well.. sort of like a 'roper' boot, but a bit shorter shaft and without the cowboy heel.

something that looks good the more you wear them.

cheers

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Anybody catch this auction? Nice boots, but just a tad pricey for boots that might fit!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&item=110031824207&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

They look a lot like the German tall desert boots from WWII, which I've read were pretty much universally hated.

I was keeping an eye on these thinking I'd get them if the price was right and pass them on to a fellow Flounge Adventurer if they didn't fit me. I never figured they'd go for that much, though!

ideaguy

One Too Many
seems as though I have a pair of excellent condition vintage 3 buckle boots right here next to the desk...with the forms inside. Russett. Wonderful patina.
No holes,tears,nuttin' wrong at all. (need one pair laces) Top of the ankle has a small built-up "V" of leather, used to assist in taking boots off-you'd push against the "V" with one boot, the other would slip off.
Maker is "Teitzel-Jones" inscribed at top of left flap,followed by the words- "BOOTS" "BEST AT ANY PRICE" "WHICHITA,KAN.U.S.A" handwritten in pencil
below the blind insignia is "72624", and below that is "294" .

7 eyelet lace system, three buckles, 20" high at the front, has a swooping top-to accommodate the calf, etc; cap toe, same color/pebbled leather;
my estimate is 1920's, not an expert, just old antiques dealer...here's the kicker- I can't take any pictures because my computer's not accepting any input photos, won't recognize LNK files or .EXE, I'm going nuts trying to have this fixed, and losing all kinds of money...

Boots are really nice, will try to get them shot & put onling somehow...{moderator edit: items for sale in classifieds, please}.
Thanks- M:rolleyes:

Mike K.

One Too Many
ideaguy said:
Top of the ankle has a small built-up "V" of leather, used to assist in taking boots off-you'd push against the "V" with one boot, the other would slip off.

While I'm sure the "V" works great for getting the boots off, I believe the original function is a spur rest.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Having taken delivery of my pair at the end of last week, I can say that first impressions of Magnoli's field boots are excellent - the leather is soft, supple and of very high quality and the construction appears first-rate. Next up is getting them onto a horse or out in the world for some serious testing!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Thank you, sir! They've served me very well so far, though I've not been near a horse while wearing them! Occasions are limited to events where sporting attire is acceptable, which, unfortunately, isn't often enough. I've never understood how a boot that was so often worn right up to the end of WWII suddenly disappeared as the footwear of choice of the outdoorsman. I can't think of a single recent photo or sighting of even foresters or loggers in their tall boots.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Repro Guy said:
Does anyone know where I could get something like this, but with a "shorter" height? Maybe just above the ankle.

Been after something like this for a while, ideally something with a "low" heel too. Can't really describe what I'm after very well.. sort of like a 'roper' boot, but a bit shorter shaft and without the cowboy heel.

something that looks good the more you wear them.

cheers

http://www.dehner.com/customboots_military.html

Dehner makes what they call 12" Trooper boots.

The three-strap cavalry boots were popular from the 1930's, to about the end of WWII, then you start to see some of the three-strap boots being cut down to a 12" height in military photos.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Great photo!

There's a few pictures of Patton in cut down three-strap boots. Seems to me, to be done to be able to wear them with regular trousers, as opposed to breeches.

alden405

A-List Customer
The Patton boots apear to have the tops strap removed,the boots in the above pic have had the buckle removed and replaced as well as being shortened

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB