Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your waistcoats/Vests?

ratpack66

New in Town
001.jpg
Here's a picture going to try to have a better one in a few days

dnjan

One Too Many
Daily wear from Autumn (as soon as it has cooled off enough) until early Summer (when it has gotten too hot).
I prefer tweeds with no lapel, 5 or 6 button.
Rarely wear with a jacket/sportcoat.

Espee

Practically Family
Vests, which I wear occasionally, help keep my burgers-and-desserts tendencies in check.
"You might want to wear the dark blue one-- but remember when you bought it, and two weeks later it didn't fit so good anymore? So watch it..."
I feel I can wear a cap, or maybe a Panama/Safari, with a vest, but for any of my dark-colored wide-brim fedoras, there should be a jacket at least within reach. None of my vests are part of a suit, so I usually go with jacket OR vest.
And I don't have any with lapels, yet.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If they do nothing else at all, a waistcoat is a great signal to the body that you're putting on weight.

...or that it's made of shoddy, cheap materials that shrink every three months.

I have a particular blue waistcoat; this one...

IMG_0294.jpg

I love this waistcoat. But it is my conscience when I'm eating. If I pig out for too long, then wearing this waistcoat becomes impossible. The moment I go two or three pounds over my ideal weight, this thing just WILL NOT fit (at least, not with any degree of long-term comfort). That waistcoat is my motivator to maintain a healthy weight.

dnjan

One Too Many
And then don't you hate it when you find a waistcoat that you like, and it fits perfectly at the chest, but the waist is way large?
Sure, you can take up some with the belt on the back, but it just doesn't feel right.
And soon your investment in the local tailor is double or more the cost of the original (used) waistcoat.

The only consolation is that it is still cheaper than made-to-measure ...

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Got this Lambournes 6 button waistcoat/vest yesterday along with a leather jacket, it's made from wool post 65 I think, all the pockets work and it's virtually mint in a size 38/40", colour wise it's much greener than photo's suggest being a mid almost bottle/british racing green;
p0p3s.jpg
2ir2m9v.jpg
29bkl6b.jpg
1ig8cj.jpg
4t7xxx.jpg
fknsk7.jpg

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
And another, with an odd jacket:

psbbvest010307ka8.jpg

Alan, it seems that you and I own nearly identical sports jackets and have similar taste in waistcoats, colour wise anyways; consider the following:
jacketon.jpg

I love this thread, and I will definitely try to post some of my waistcoats up here for all to see (a bit busy lately with all the goings on for our overseas trip.)

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I suspect it's because it's really a small spring hook chain that's designed to slip through a belt loop and latch onto itself again, to be worn at the waist and into the side pocket; I modified it into an albert style myself by adding the fob. I tend to favour a very short fob drop, but I could shorten the chain by moving the T-bar attachment point further down the chain and having a longer fob drop.

Your waistcoat turned out beautifully, shangas! You're looking very pleased with yourself there :p Now we need to see some more of your jackets to go with your nice collection of waistcoats.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Sounds like enough!

I only have 1 actual sportcoat (a brown tweed) and two orphaned suit jackets! Mix and match my friend! THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESSSSSSSSSSSS....

(possibilities are not technically endless, mathematically speaking)

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I am curious. What is that waistcoat made of? From here, it looks like crushed velvet...

It's a microfibre of some kind; it has a very satiny feel to it with the raised embroidery over the top. It's probably high-tech polyester of some kind ^,^ But I like it just the same.

Sproily - I was extremely impressed with your ensemble from the stroller thread; those spats were the bees knees as they say. It inspired me to put this together, and actually it seemed to go over very well.

Glad you like the waistcoat! I like the look of it too; quite unique.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I pulled apart the light grey waistcoat on this page. It was much too tight for me. I had some leftover fabric. Enough of it, to add about an inch more fabric on each side under the arms. I used my grandmother's Singer to speed up the process. The results are below. It may not look any different, but trust me, those two extra inches make all the difference in comfort!!

Front:
IMG_1012.jpg

Back:
IMG_1014.jpg

Sides:
IMG_1015.jpg

Here you can see the extra fabric that I added in to give myself a bit of breathing space (literally!). Yes, the cloth is all wrinkled and crumply, but that's because I've been twisting, shifting and wriggling this thing around for weeks putting it together. Now that it's done, I'll iron it out or something, to make it nice and neat...

IMG_1016.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner