Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking Jackets

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
mike said:
so only the host of a get together would be able to wear a smoking jacket? Others wouldn't bring their own?

I was half thinking of eventually picking up a few so a few friends could come over and partake in the atmosphere.

Meanwhile, this is all somewhat tongue in cheek as I live in a cramped nothing special NYC apartment where virtually none of my friends come visit :rolleyes: But in my head, it sounds fun :D

Well, since no one does it anymore, it would be quite appropriate to have a party where you provided the jackets, much as I have a rack of vintage seventies clothes by the door when I have a seventies party. I even sold a jacket to a guest once.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Also, don't forget that it wasn't only parties. This was what a person who typically dressed for dinner would wear in the evening to protect his othe clothes, weather he was alone or with people I imagine.

dnjan

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Mike, it's all a question of attitude. Create a little corner of civilization for yourself. Politely request your imaginary valet to bring you your smoking jacket and drink. Then momentarily assuming your valet alter ego identity, perform those tasks. Bring yourself your jacket and drink. Thank yourself, and ensconce yourself for you evening's relaxation. Maybe a book , and a little WQXR would be nice. Send us a picture.
However, tell too many people that is what you do, or actually let somebody see you do it, and you might find yourself in a white jacket - one of those special ones where the sleeves tie behind you ... :)

Edward

Bartender
reetpleat said:
Also, don't forget that it wasn't only parties. This was what a person who typically dressed for dinner would wear in the evening to protect his othe clothes, weather he was alone or with people I imagine.

True... certainly, when I can afford my own tailored smoknig jacket, I'll virtually live in the think at home. ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
While very nice, this is not a garment that one would wear to host a party in their home or wear in lieu of a DJ. For that use think velvet, braiding, frogging, etc.....

My dad had a velvet smoking jacket in burgundy. As I remember, the lapels were a dark or navy blue. I believe there was braided trim on the lapels. I don't recall having seen him wearing it but he must have occasionally.

Providing smoking jackets for guests would be interesting. Would this be an after-dinner alternative to the ubiquitous pajama party? ;) :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Pillow Fight!

scotrace said:
Ubiquitous? I am moving to Texas! :)
lol lol lol

C'mon Down! Please remember, however, that the aforementioned pajama party is [generally] ubiquitous only as practiced by members of the fairer sex.

Edward

Bartender
Cordaround Reversible "Smoking Jacket"

Has anyone ever seen one of these in person (or have one?)

http://www.cordarounds.com/catalog/designlab.html

Made by the same people who produce the "bike to work" cords. It looks like it might make an interesting garment for use as a traditional smoking jacket (the odd gimmick aside - specifcally the "autohankie" take on a paocket Square). Despite their boast of offering infinitely more photos than any other catalogue, however, none of them offer a decent shot of the jacket itself IMO. :rolleyes: Is this just another wannabe blazer (so many so-called smoking jackets really are nothing more than a tarted up blazer), or a real contender?

Edward

Bartender
Not the traditional velvet, no, though I've seen a lot of older smoking jackets selling that are made from that fabric - mostly 60s, and typically the 'lounge around the house' style rather than blacktie-with-friends.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Edward, I'm not sure how vintagesque the jacket is, but as one who likes corduroy I like that jacket. It looks as if it would be comfy and sort of rural sheik....

Edward

Bartender
Slim Portly said:
Gads, what a mind bendingly annoying website.

Isn't it just! They seem to have grasped that "more pictures = good," while failing entirely to provide any picutres that are actually useful!!!

I think I'm going to pass on this one - I actually rather like the lining on them, but I'm not convinced by the overall cut, I think (what I can make out from the photos anyhow...). I may just keep an eye out for one of those traditional Chinese jackets as an affordable alternative to a real smoking jacket for now...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Tomasso said:
A corduroy smoking jacket? :eusa_doh:

I have a burgundy National brand corduroy smoking jacket from the late '30s. Double breasted, belted, no buttons, burgundy satin lapels. It was done, just not like that.

celtic

A-List Customer
I almost bought one of those a year or two ago when I was still smoking cigars and pipes. (one of these days I should sell the cigars in my humi[huh] )

Pros:
Reversible (I actually LIKE the reverse pattern)
Corduroy (I really like corduroy)
Skull Button (LOVE it!)

Cons:
Price
Cord going in an unflattering direction
Price

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic