Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking Jackets

mike

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
Smoking Jacket with clothes on- OK.
Pyjamas with dressing gown is good.
But why exactly, are we wearing Pyjamas with the smoking jacket?
What is the reason for this combination?

B
T

What I do in the privacy of my own home... and then post on the internet, um, ahem... lol

But seriously folks, no good huh?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
It comes across a shade louche. ;) But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Kind of an Absinthe-for-breakfast look. Or the 13th Duke of Wymbourne:

There's a hint of the Whisperer in Darkness about this photo, Mike. [Link for the unaware/curious.] Curtains closed. Altered behaviour. Strange metal cylinders lying around. We'll be watching with interest for changes in syntax. If anyone's thinking of visiting...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Do you, er... smoke in bed... with your reputation..?

Don't answer that one, please.

mike said:
What I do in the privacy of my own home... and then post on the internet, um, ahem... lol

But seriously folks, no good huh?

Not sure...
The Smoking Jacket is great but if you don't smoke, then is it a
Lounging jacket? Lounging in Pyjamas... If wearing Pyjamas, would a
dressing gown/Robe not be more correct and more comfortable?
I can see the allure of a "House Jacket", for entertaining at home
but then Pyjamas aren't really a good entertaining getup.

Pyjamas are traditionally bed-going attire and Smoking Jackets
are, pretty much for doing the smoking in. Do these activities mix?
I think the Pyjamas go on, when the smokey, day-dirt clothes come off.
Do you smoke?
Do you sleep?

I would imagine, as a concept, that a "Smoking Jacket" and a "House Jacket/Coat" could be interchangeable, as gaments, I mean Smoking Jacket as Lounging Jacket, not necessarily the other way. The SJ having some of the Pyjama type decoration, soft furnishing thing and being something like a short House Coat, or Robe.

I had imagined that when "smoking", the Gent would slip off his "suit jacket",
retiring it to a safe place and then don the Smoking Jacket in its stead- keeping the pants on.
Pyjamas later...

I guess it comes down to a question of- are you wearing the Jacket with your PJs, or wearing your PJs with the Jacket..?

And as for being outside, in Pyjamas and sunglasses?
I think, under British law, one could be arrested for that.

But of course, we are free to wear what we will, in some instances.

B
T

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Cool jacket, but not with the Jim-jams. Bowtie and a fez, or a smoking cap. The dutch in Indonesia would wear PJ's as casual wear, during daytime, even outdoors. In Holland we still call a Tuxedo a Smoking (suit). I think the smoking cap was intended to keep the stink out of one's hair, but the jacket seems to be like a dressier alternative to the house coat, only worn at home. It's what you'd wear when you were having friends over for dinner, I suppose, Afterwards the guys had coffee and cigars, played some billiards.
I don't know really, I even smoke while taking a shower.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mysterious Mose said:
Afterwards the guys had coffee and cigars, played some billiards.

So- you wear a shower cap..?
But no billiards in the shower- please.

A "Tuxedo" is referred to as "Smoking" in most of Northern Europe, it seems.
That is because the Tuxedo was actually an evolution of the Smoking Jacket.
It retained the "English" name, though.

B
T

Edward

Bartender
sproily said:
Usually the host of the party would be wearing a smoking jacket whilst the guests would wear their own suits. Not smoking jackets.

I have a feeling that wearing a smoking jacket pretty much means that you're the man of the house. Of course I can be wrong and the guests could wear them too.

But when you're going to someones party I feel that it would be rude to wear a smoking jacket... [huh]

I don't know of any etiquette "rules" relating to taking a smoking jacket with you to somewhere you are a guest. I've worn mine at a country house hotel where I was resident for an evening. I figured that made it my "home" for the night, and I certainly paid handsomely for the privilege! If I wasn't staying the night somewhere, though, it would seem wrong (and for me it really is an affectation, as I don't smoke, so). With respect to gatherings in the home in black tie, it is considered wholly acceptable for the host to dispense entirely with the DJ, and wear the smoking jacket instead all evening. in such circumstacnes it would be extremely bad form for guests to arrive in a smoking jacket. For this reason I'm really not a fan of them being worn out in place of a DJ - little better than a novelty cartoon-character waistcoat in such circumstances. I can run with someone flouting the convention, but not so keen whre it is simple ignorance. Of course, that said, it's all only opinion, really......

BellyTank said:
Smoking Jacket with clothes on- OK.
Pyjamas with dressing gown is good.
But why exactly, are we wearing Pyjamas with the smoking jacket?
What is the reason for this combination?

Historically, that is how they were worn - shorter, smoking jacket when dressed, longer, dressing gown when in pjs. I presume, as you hint above, that the drift towards a shorter jacket with pjs reflects their increasing use as 'loungewear'. Given the rarity of smoking jackets nowadays, it seems to me somewhat inevitable that the mode of their wearing will evolve.

Mysterious Mose said:
Cool jacket, but not with the Jim-jams. Bowtie and a fez, or a smoking cap. The dutch in Indonesia would wear PJ's as casual wear, during daytime, even outdoors. In Holland we still call a Tuxedo a Smoking (suit). I think the smoking cap was intended to keep the stink out of one's hair, but the jacket seems to be like a dressier alternative to the house coat, only worn at home. It's what you'd wear when you were having friends over for dinner, I suppose, Afterwards the guys had coffee and cigars, played some billiards.

I've seen the full gamut of smoking jackets - all weights, all materials, all colours, and designs varying from a frog-buttoned "blazer" type to what is, in effect, a shorter dressing gown, complete with belt-fastener. Wide variance as to how those might be worn / relative formality.

You are correct as to the original purpose of the smoking cap; the jacket was the same, though the sheer variation thereon, as mentioned, is I believe reflective of the extent to which it has surpassed its utilitarian origins to become something of a fashion statement.

sproily

Practically Family
Party with a few friends aka casual with pyjamas:
casualsmoking.jpg

Semi-formal to semi-casual party with more or less strange people:
semicasualsmoking.jpg

sproily

Practically Family
It's a shame that smoking jackets aren't considered formal.. they're very informal.

Because if you jazz it up a little it can look very formal.. it's a shame. I'd like to wear this as it looks ready for celebration--- but in what situation? Yepp.. Can't wear it.. :eusa_doh:

Anyone have any suggestions to where I could wear this ensemble? It's too relaxed and laid back for a night out or a public event. I could wear it at home if I have a party, but it's too dressy for that too I guess.. Bah

sproily said:
It's a shame that smoking jackets aren't considered formal.. they're very informal.

Because if you jazz it up a little it can look very formal.. it's a shame. I'd like to wear this as it looks ready for celebration--- but in what situation? Yepp.. Can't wear it.. :eusa_doh:

Anyone have any suggestions to where I could wear this ensemble? It's too relaxed and laid back for a night out or a public event. I could wear it at home if I have a party, but it's too dressy for that too I guess.. Bah

You could certainly wear it at home for a party or get together. You can easily retire to the study for that after dinner cigar and cocktail. You are ready to go. ;) :D
I have worn something similar out---it just depends where you are going. ;)

dnjan

One Too Many
OK, I'll admit I am from the wrong side of 40 (and from the wrong side of 50 as well), but the smoking jacket with PJ's to me is WRONG.

How about wearing it at home, just for your own comfort? Still looks nice, in case somebody "drops in", but not for intentional display outside the house.

My humble opinion as an old fart.

dnjan said:
OK, I'll admit I am from the wrong side of 40 (and from the wrong side of 50 as well), but the smoking jacket with PJ's to me is WRONG.

How about wearing it at home, just for your own comfort? Still looks nice, in case somebody "drops in", but not for intentional display outside the house.

My humble opinion as an old fart.

I am sort of with you there on the pajamas issue. I wouldn't wear one out to another person's house but I would likely wear one to a public place where a party might be happening. :D ;)

Miztorif

New in Town
I picked this up to use for a photoshoot Im doing:
27192_1291301015118_1608031714_695312_4984661_n.jpg

Never worn-still has paper wrapped around the tassels.
Does anyone know what vintage it might be- Im thinking 1950?
Ill try to repost with a better picture as my cell cam was not co operating.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Pardon my ignorance, but why are these called smoking jackets? I know Hugh Hefner always wears one. Almost all his publicity shots / videos show him wearing one.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
fenris said:
Pardon my ignorance, but why are these called smoking jackets? I know Hugh Hefner always wears one. Almost all his publicity shots / videos show him wearing one.

That's just it. This picture above isn't of a smoking jacket. It's a short silk robe. Hef wears robes.

Edward

Bartender
scotrace said:
A smoking jacket is velvet, with frog closures. This is a short dressing gown.

Stereotypically, yes, but many were also made in corduroy, velvet, raw silk... etc Not all had, or have, frog closures. The more casual types weren't much more than a short dressing gown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff