Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Adjustment Bureau" might be the movie that brings back Wearing Hats...

randooch

I'll Lock Up
David Denby of The New Yorker magazine reviewed this film, and had this to say about the hats:

"The hats, we are told, are the source of the guardians' strength. I was brought up on the legend that John F. Kennedy ended the fashion for hats by appearing without one at the 1961 inauguration, so I have to wonder how guys who look like models in an old Stetson ad can be regarded as anything but a joke. Are they rejects from "Mad Men"? Shouldn't they at least break into a dance number, like Fred Astaire in "The Band Wagon"?

Someone needs to educate that man!

W4ASZ

Practically Family
David Denby of The New Yorker magazine reviewed this film, and had this to say about the hats:

"The hats, we are told, are the source of the guardians' strength. I was brought up on the legend that John F. Kennedy ended the fashion for hats by appearing without one at the 1961 inauguration, so I have to wonder how guys who look like models in an old Stetson ad can be regarded as anything but a joke. Are they rejects from "Mad Men"? Shouldn't they at least break into a dance number, like Fred Astaire in "The Band Wagon"?

Well, now. He can be "reset." ;)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

Wow, what a nerd...:p

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I haven't seen the movie, but I have to admit that my reaction to seeing the preview was not unlike Denby's. The hats seemed a silly gimmick, just a silly detail thrown in for no good reason.

But as I say, I've not seen the movie. And based on the preview, I don't intend to. If I just want to see fedoras in a movie, there are literally thousands of old movies I can watch.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
I just saw this movie yesterday. Now, every time I see someone in a hat, I'll be thinking, "He's from the adjustment bureau." Remember, don't trust anyone in a hat. ;)

Scotus

One of the Regulars
I haven't seen the movie, but I have to admit that my reaction to seeing the preview was not unlike Denby's. The hats seemed a silly gimmick, just a silly detail thrown in for no good reason.

But as I say, I've not seen the movie. And based on the preview, I don't intend to. If I just want to see fedoras in a movie, there are literally thousands of old movies I can watch.

It's an enjoyable movie. You wouldn't see it just for the hats, even though people who appreciate hats will appreciate the way they are used in the movie (almost another character). Aside from the acting of Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, both of whom are very good, the story is pretty clever. I would recommend it.

rene_writer

Familiar Face
Here's an Esquire interview with the Polish born costume designer about the hats http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/adjustment-bureau-hats-5340362.

I don't get the thing about not trusting men in hats. I mean if I passed by tattooed man in full gangster regalia wearing a trucker cap with that particular gangster tilt in a dark alley, yeah I might get suspicious but I suspect that has little to do with the hat and more to do with the uniform in general. Also, if Esquire is so scared of men in hats, I hope they never go to a rodeo. LOL.

Oh, and for anyone who doesn't want to follow the links, the hats came from everywhere but Matt Damon's was made by Biltmore of Canada.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Here's an Esquire interview with the Polish born costume designer about the hats http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/adjustment-bureau-hats-5340362.

I don't get the thing about not trusting men in hats. I mean if I passed by tattooed man in full gangster regalia wearing a trucker cap with that particular gangster tilt in a dark alley, yeah I might get suspicious but I suspect that has little to do with the hat and more to do with the uniform in general. Also, if Esquire is so scared of men in hats, I hope they never go to a rodeo. LOL.

Oh, and for anyone who doesn't want to follow the links, the hats came from everywhere but Matt Damon's was made by Biltmore of Canada.

At least for me in my reply above, the 'not trusting men in hats' comes from one of Damon's lines in the movie. :) As to what ESQ is talking about, I have no idea. I like this answer though, "I think that they're [hats] like another level of power in how we project images of ourselves. The hat is like the final statement — a very, very big statement."

Yes, the hat is like the final statement.

I don't get the thing about not trusting men in hats...
I didn't understand that either.

"Of all the preposterous things in the movie — namely the all-powerful secret agency that controls man's fate — the one thing I have trouble suspending my disbelief about is the widespread wearing of hats. I thought J.F.K. — or at least Mad Men — killed the hat for good, no? I mean, they look great, but somebody who wears a hat is immediately suspicious to me. Like they have something to hide."

I would hope the interviewer isn't really that clueless and was simply "playing along" for the benefit of the interview, but I'm guessing he's merely a young man who grew up during that time period before hats (other than baseball caps) started becoming popular again. I mean, it's a common misconception that J.F.K. was somehow singlehandedly responsible for the demise of hat-wearing, but Mad Men??? Way to do your homework, cub reporter! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The tone of the article reads to me much like the way it would sound if a late night night talk show host were doing it. I can see one of those Letterman/Leno/O'Brien guys saying that line after not enough staff research (JFK) and then throwing in a contemporary humorous aside (Mad Men) for a laugh. Either way, to people who actually know something about any given topic, the inaccuracies are glaring.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
People who make movies have tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars to potentially make art, and they give us Matt Damon in a hat?

One of life's tragic mysteries.

^ Just curious Richard, is your problem with Matt Damon or the hat? Or both?

I finally saw The Adjustment Bureau today, and really enjoyed it. A relatively simple premise that could have gone horribly awry at any moment, but didn't thanks to filmmakers who didn't feel the need to explain every little thing--give the audience enough to understand the basics of what's happening, and let them come to their own conclusions about the rest. Buckets of chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt really help the romance aspects of the story (which, given the premise, are surprisingly minimal), solid performances from the entire cast, and consistent pacing--every scene pushes the story along without dragging or being rushed; no wasted footage here. It may not be entirely unpredictable, but it's still a fun ride.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Went to see this yesterday. I thought it was a fun movie. I think the hat looks better on Matt Damon in the movie than on the pictures here, but perhaps that is because I got used to it. I do think the hat looked better on Anthony Mackie than Matt Damon. (Not an expert on men's hats.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner