Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well friends, it's that time of the year again. I'll be thinking of my Dad tomorrow, who served in Darwin at the age of 16 on the anti-aircraft searchlights during the bombings. He remained in the Army until his real age was disclosed, and discharged at the age of 17. At 18 and two months he then joined the RAAF, was shipped to Melbourne for technical training and worked as a mechanic on military aircraft until 1946.

Dad never said a lot about the war, but I know he lost a lot of friends who went to places overseas made famous to later generations by our servicemen's tenacity, courage and blood shed for our freedom. Today, we have diggers like Ben Roberts-Smith, Daniel Keighran and Mark Donaldson, all VC recipients who fought in Afghanistan, and so many others like them, too many of whom have paid the ultimate sacrifice in the service of freedom and democracy.

God bless all who've served and continue to serve in Australia and New Zealand. Lest we forget.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well friends, it's that time of the year again. I'll be thinking of my Dad tomorrow, who served in Darwin at the age of 16 on the anti-aircraft searchlights during the bombings. He remained in the Army until his real age was disclosed, and discharged at the age of 17. At 18 and two months he then joined the RAAF, was shipped to Melbourne for technical training and worked as a mechanic on military aircraft until 1946.

Dad never said a lot about the war, but I know he lost a lot of friends who went to places overseas made famous to later generations by our servicemen's tenacity, courage and blood shed for our freedom. Today, we have diggers like Ben Roberts-Smith, Daniel Keighran and Mark Donaldson, all VC recipients who fought in Afghanistan, and so many others like them, too many of whom have paid the ultimate sacrifice in the service of freedom and democracy.

God bless all who've served and continue to serve in Australia and New Zealand. Lest we forget.

Well said Wes.

Lest we forget.

flanders_field.png

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
"Australians will stand beside our own to help and defend Britain to our last man and our last shilling"

- Andrew Fisher, P.M.

Upon being challenged by Woodrow Wilson about his presence at the Versailles Peace Conference...

"I speak for 60,000 dead. Who do you speak for?"

- Billy Hughes, P.M.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
On Thursday night, I'm going out to see the musical of "King Kong", at the Regent Theatre...

The Regent Theatre as it looked back in 1929 when it opened...

RegentandPlaza.jpg

The Regent today:

Regent1.jpg

Regent-Theatre-Melbourne-CBD.jpg

regent-theatre-482x298.jpg

Attachments

• Regent-Theatre-Melbourne-CBD.jpg
    Regent-Theatre-Melbourne-CBD.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I love going to the Regent. It's such a lovely theatre!

I'll write a review of the musical on Friday and post it in this thread. It's been in the news a lot lately over here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran