Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Diamond Authority

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Two more:

4-point diamond on my Atlanta:
Atlanta.jpg

6-point diamond on the Woodhouse. This one needed a good steaming to take the bash.
Woodhouse_Diamond.jpg

RobStC

A-List Customer
Mario said:
Two more:

6-point diamon on the Woodhouse. This one needed a good steaming to take the bash.

Wow, that's a really neat six point on that Woodhouse, Mario. Looks really good :eusa_clap

Must try that one on my new Adam - tried a teardrop, but it doesn't sit quite smoothly, so perhaps it'll find its way to a six pointer very soon.

RobStC

CRH

Call Me a Cab
RobStC said:
Mario said:

Must try that one on my new Adam - tried a teardrop, but it doesn't sit quite smoothly, so perhaps it'll find its way to a six pointer very soon.

My teardrop attempts have always crooked. My diamonds are always crooked too but crooked diamonds seem to look better than crooked teardrops.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
RobStC said:
Two more:

6-point diamon on the Woodhouse. This one needed a good steaming to take the bash.

Wow, that's a really neat six point on that Woodhouse, Mario. Looks really good :eusa_clap

RobStC

I was actually quite surprised when I found out just HOW neat the diamond looks in the photo. I think it's the lighting that brings the lines out like that.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I like them neat, but with a hand-bashed look.

These are all in their finished state, no steam. I start all open crowns like the Borsalino on the top left. If that doesn't do it, I go to center dent like the Wekony on the bottom-left. If it's too high in back or side-taper doesn't work, that evolves to a diamond like the bottom-center Brock. Then, if it doesn't fit quite right, it can end up like the Portis on the top right, or the Schoble on the bottom-right.

Bashesx5Med.jpg

RBH

Bartender
ScottF said:
I like them neat, but with a hand-bashed look.

These are all in their finished state, no steam. I start all open crowns like the Borsalino on the top left. If that doesn't do it, I go to center dent like the Wekony on the bottom-left. If it's too high in back or side-taper doesn't work, that evolves to a diamond like the bottom-center Brock. Then, if it doesn't fit quite right, it can end up like the Portis on the top right, or the Schoble on the bottom-right.

Bashesx5Med.jpg
For some reason I love that Brock.

RBrockH

RobStC

A-List Customer
6 pt diamond - Adam 'Strand'

Well, I tried a six point diamond on my Adam today - as inspired by Mario's recent posting - and am very pleased with how it works on this hat.

DSC01096.jpg

DSC01108.jpg

Will post some more pics on the Adam Alley.

RobStC

Mario

I'll Lock Up
1960s Mayser

A few days ago, I rebashed my old Mayser. It really took some time for it to overcome its natural shyness and tell me what crease it really wanted... ;)

I gave it a long, narrow 4-point diamond crease and a Hollywood brim. It's about the first time that I'm really satisfied with the bash.

Mayser-Gray-Diamond.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Mario said:
A few days ago, I rebashed my old Mayser. It really took some time for it to overcome its natural shyness and tell me what crease it really wanted... ;)

I gave it a long, narrow 4-point diamond crease and a Hollywood brim. It's about the first time that I'm really satisfied with the bash.

You've got a good touch, Mario! :eusa_clap

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Mario said:

Nice!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thank y'all! :)

You know, it's funny: I have always really loved that hat from the moment it arrived here. It went through a cycle of different bashes but whatever shape I gave it, it never really hit the mark. I knew that it wasn't the hat that bugged me but the crease I put into it. The proportions may not be really appropriate, but for this bash I took my (admittedly rough) inspiration from Bogey's fedora in The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep. It's the first time I tried a Hollywood brim as well. I really like it the way it looks now - which is the reason I wore it the last five or six days in a row... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav