Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Diamond Authority

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Early 1940's Mallory Ten Cravenette

Mallory Ten Cravenette. The liner indicates a pre-1946 (Stetson takeover) date. Color is a charcoal gray with a lighter edge binding. The ribbon is some sort of dark maroon/magenta. I gave this hat another sharp, pinched diamond crease.

Crown: 4 3/4" (creased)
Brim: 2 3/4"
Ribbon 1 5/8"
Binding 1/2"

Mallory-Ten-Cravenette.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Late 40's/Early 50's Mallory Ten Pliafelt

I found that I was so satisfied with the diamond I put in the Mallory Ten Cravenette (and a few other hats... :rolleyes:) that I decided to make away with the center dent in my Mallory Ten Pliafelt and put in a diamond crease instead that's similar to the one in the Mallory Cravenette. I really love a deep center dent for that lovely reverse taper it brings to the side profile, but I think that the long, narrow diamond goes better with my facial feautures (long, narrow... ;)).

So here's a classical before & after... :D

Mallory-Ten-Pliafelt.jpg
Mallory-Ten-Pliafelt-Diamond.jpg

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Mario said:
I found that I was so satisfied with the diamond I put in the Mallory Ten Cravenette (and a few other hats... :rolleyes:) that I decided to make away with the center dent in my Mallory Ten Pliafelt and put in a diamond crease instead that's similar to the one in the Mallory Cravenette. I really love a deep center dent for that lovely reverse taper it brings to the side profile, but I think that the long, narrow diamond goes better with my facial feautures (long, narrow... ;)).

So here's a classical before & after... :D

Mallory-Ten-Pliafelt.jpg
Mallory-Ten-Pliafelt-Diamond.jpg

I like both, the center-dent and the diamond.. can't comment on what bash looks better on you cause you look good in every hat I see you in.. Speaking of facial features, isn't there a lost Indian tribe that used to shrink heads?? Seeing all those gorgeous hats of your's makes me want a smaller size melon.. :eek: lol

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I like the center dent as well. Took me some time to actually decide and try the diamond on this one. The good thing is, you can always go back and put another crease in it...

I'm pretty sure that if you make it down to the Amazon, with some luck you'll probably find some indian tribe that will be happy to help you with your little (shall I say 'big'?) problem... :D

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Mario said:
Yeah, I like the center dent as well. Took me some time to actually decide and try the diamond on this one. The good thing is, you can always go back and put another crease in it...

I hear you, but you master the art of hatbashing.. I don't.. :D

I'm pretty sure that if you make it down to the Amazon, with some luck you'll probably find some indian tribe that will be happy to help you with your little (shall I say 'big'?) problem... :D
:D :D :D

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Maybe we should rename this thread to "Mario's Diamond Authority". :rolleyes:

You certainly set a high bar, Mario. Your creases are wonderful and your photography skills are outstanding. Photographing hat creases is no easy task given the many angles and depths - the light just reflects every which way.

:eusa_clap

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
CRH said:

You certainly set a high bar, Mario. Your creases are wonderful and your photography skills are outstanding. Photographing hat creases is no easy task given the many angles and depths - the light just reflects every which way.

:arated:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
CRH said:

djgo-cat-go said:

Well, thank you, lads! :D

I really, really love to wear my hats, but I also love to take photos of them. :rolleyes: It's indeed a real challenge. If only my equipment wasn't that crappy...it usually necessitates a good deal of careful CC work after the photo session.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
1940's Brooks from Canada

Here comes another hat with 4-point diamond. I hope you guys don't think that I want to hijack this thread... :rolleyes:

This time I didn't pinch the lines as tight as I did in the last few bashes, but I still kept the arching ridge line on the top of the crown.

Brooks-Gray.jpg

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Mario said:
Here comes another hat with 4-point diamond. I hope you guys don't think that I want to hijack this thread... :rolleyes:

This time I didn't pinch the lines as tight as I did in the last few bashes, but I still kept the arching ridge line on the top of the crown.

I say keep 'em coming! These are great. I really like the steep rake from front to back.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Here's my Art Fawcett "Dingus" also inspired by Bogie's hat. It's also in my avatar:

DSCN1517.jpg

I realized that I should also submit this one to the Diamond Authority:

DSCN1525.jpg

DSCN1526-1.jpg

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mario said:
1950's Pilgrim

Pirlgrim.jpg

Mario you have some serious talent when it comes to creasing a hat. In fact I would like to use the pictures of your 1950 pilgrim as a model to crease my lightweight Borsalino thin ribbon. Remember imitation is the best form flattery. Any way I will not get the near perfect symmetry but I will try my hand at the deep diamond crease with the rear taper and narrow front pinch. Thank for all your posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav