Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Diamond Authority

alphy27

One of the Regulars
Thanks

Very much thanks, Ande1964, J T Marcus, RBH, and thunderw21. I truly appreciate the compliments. By the way, J T Marcus, it was after reading your advice to another member about how to deal with the stiffness of his newly acquired Akubra that I decided to attempt this. An added thanks to you sir.

Viper Man

Banned
I was watching The Man Who Wasn't There last night and noticed many of those hats were rockin' the diamond. I think it's a great look if you've got a nice tall crown. Here's my Royal Stetson with a bash inspired by this thread and the Coen Brothers film...

307387445.jpg

And the "block" I used to create it.lol

307387441.jpg

RBH

Bartender
Viper Man said:
I was watching The Man Who Wasn't There last night and noticed many of those hats were rockin' the diamond. I think it's a great look if you've got a nice tall crown. Here's my Royal Stetson with a bash inspired by this thread and the Coen Brothers film...

307387445.jpg

And the "block" I used to create it.lol

307387441.jpg

I have to say that diamond is 'premium'. :eusa_clap :D

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been gaining more confidence with my creasing of late (I said confidence, not skill!), and reworked the Grandfather's Hat a little. I thought it might qualify for membership over here:

with flash:
p1012394wl0.jpg

without:
p1012400wc2.jpg

AlanC

Thanks, gentlemen.

MississippiLong said:
I love the hat AlanC! the bash is great...How did you get it so neatly creased?...if you say "practice," i'll loose it!

:eusa_clap :eusa_doh:

Oh, just practice. ;)

I spritzed it with water and creased it wet. It's a pretty soft hat and just won't much hold a dry crease. As it's a shorter crowned hat than others I have I tried to give it a crease that would maximize its height. I'm still nowhere near JTL's expertise.

univibe88

One Too Many
I've got a hat in the queue with Art, and after reading/viewing this thread I am DEFINITELY going to have him make it with a diamond bash. :D

AlanC

Dinerman said:
Looks pretty good, Alan, but have you tried bringing the front of the diamond down a little bit?

The crown of this one isn't terribly high, so I wanted to maximize my crown height. I shall ponder it.

Stoney

Practically Family
My entry for the Diamond Authority

This is a vintage Borsalino that I picked up for a meager $19.00.
It was in fair shape when I received it , although dirty and the ribbon, which matched the hat color was faded a little bit as well. The problem that I had with this hat was of my own making. The hat was a bit loose so I thought I would try the old lampshade trick. Unfortunately I left the hat on the lamp a few minites too long which resulted in a quick fried sweatband. :eek: A real shame since this is by far the oldest Borsalino that I own. ( The liner has that transparent fabric in the top, rather than plastic, so I'm guessing that it is pre WWII or very close.) So I placed the hat in the closet and cried myself to sleep.

I just finished reworking this hat today. I ended up re-blockng this one on my new homemade block, installing a new sweatband, dying the original ribbon then putting it back together. I thought that I might just try a diamond bash on it so here are the results. Hopefully, even though I was stupid enough to ruin the vintage, and flawless, sweatband , I will be forgiven and allowed to join the membership of the Diamond Authority. Here is my humble submission. One other thing. This was an overwelt until I turned it inside out, now an underwelt.

Borsalino-Diamond.jpg

I was able to reinstall the original small bow and an Aluminum Initial "A" which was also on the original sweatband.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw