Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Diamond Authority

Stoney

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:
I was watching "The Best Years of Our Lives" last night (a wonderful film), and, of course, couldn't help but check out the lids. Caught sight of two lids that were bashed in "tri-corner" fashion -- one point at the front of the crease, and two points at the far corners of the back of the lid. It almost looked like someone had taken a billiard rack and used it to crease the top of the lid. Has anyone else seen this kind of crease? Very unique looking...

Cheers,
JtL

I've seen quite a few vintage lids, and plenty of film noir characters, with this bash. I'm not sure what this style is called, but it is simple to perform the crease. Just make a center dent then grab the back end of the center dent, from the top, to produce the two other corners in back. I really like it since it also makes for a very nice profile, similar to a c crown. I have a few creased this way and wear them regularly. Does anyone know what this old school style crease is called?

univibe88

One Too Many
Stoney said:
I've seen quite a few vintage lids, and plenty of film noir characters, with this bash. I'm not sure what this style is called, but it is simple to perform the crease. Just make a center dent then grab the back end of the center dent, from the top, to produce the two other corners in back. I really like it since it also makes for a very nice profile, similar to a c crown. I have a few creased this way and wear them regularly. Does anyone know what this old school style crease is called?

Or any pictures?

GWD

One Too Many
I forgot about this thread.

Here is a Portis Capitol I purchased a few weeks ago.

web.jpg

web.jpg

It's now my everyday beater hat.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Torpedo, Man, you are coming up with some terrific stuff! I like the 5-point diamond! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
PICT0806.jpg

Gary, I am in awe of this diamond. Some beater! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

web.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi again,

Thank you for the praise. I noticed the earlier photo looks like it is distorted, with an elongated shape... this could be because of camera focus distortion I guess.

I took a better one with a borrowed camera...

DSCF7510.jpg

I think I will try one of those "crossed dome" diamonds next... ;)

Regards!

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Well, my hat got soaked completely through in the rain tonight. I sat looking at this thread and thought "why not?" Before it was a center dent. Now I can't decide which bash to do on my Carbon Grey Federation which should be here in a week or so.
IMG_3822.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3823.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3826.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3827.jpg
[/IMG]

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
What am I doing wrong?

Hey fellas, I got a Fed IV for Christmas and have been trying to put a diamond bash in her, but every time I put it on my head it turns into kind of a muddy cross between a C-crown and a diamond. Any tips on what I might be doing wrong? Is this just because I'm not wetting/steaming the hat? Is my melon just too tall for this style of bash? On a related note, the left side of my pinch keeps getting pushed out, so the pinch appears off-center, but really it just goes further back on the right.

In other words, I can get this hat to look good in my lap but how do I keep it that way on my head?

-Dave

kaosharper1

One Too Many
By "cross between a c-crown and a diamond" do you mean that it has a bump in the crown? If so, there's nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of diamonds in this thread with a bump in the crown. I need one for the diamond or c-crown to accomodate my head.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
kaosharper1 said:
By "cross between a c-crown and a diamond" do you mean that it has a bump in the crown? If so, there's nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of diamonds in this thread with a bump in the crown. I need one for the diamond or c-crown to accomodate my head.

No, I could handle that, instead the rear point of the diamond disappears and the side points lose their definition, leaving me with a wavy teardrop shape that is flat in the center. All of the diamonds in this thread are nice and crisp looking and I can't seem to achieve that.

-Dave

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
David Conwill said:
Is this just because I'm not wetting/steaming the hat?

David -- sounds like you need to set the crease somehow, either by dampening the felt with water, or by using steam. Depending on the nature/quality of the felt, a lid may be able to keep a crease without these techniques -- but it sounds like you probably need to take some steps to set the crease so that it stays the way you want it.

Cheers,
JtL

kaosharper1

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
David -- sounds like you need to set the crease somehow, either by dampening the felt with water, or by using steam. Depending on the nature/quality of the felt, a lid may be able to keep a crease without these techniques -- but it sounds like you probably need to take some steps to set the crease so that it stays the way you want it.

Cheers,
JtL

I agree. I get the top of the crown very wet so the felt is pliable to put in those sharp points.

Octavius

New in Town
Here's one I did today. It's the first time I've tried to change the crown on a fedora and I think it turned out pretty good.

fedora1.jpg

fedora2.jpg

fedora3.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Super hat!!!
Could you please give the stats on that one!

Thanks, R! This is the Stetsonian that I posted here -- 5 1/2" open crown, 2 1/2" brim, 3/8" edge binding, 1 3/4" ribbon.

This was originally creased as a diamond and cross. Since I first posted this lid, I have modified the back of the "cross" a bit to lift the back of the crown completely off of my noggin. So, the "cross" has now turned into a "kite." :D

Cheers,
JtL

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Old Wrinkle Tail

I heard there was some kite flying going on here so I thought I'd just throw out some photos of "Old Wrinkle Tail". The weather seems to instigate some sort of evolutionary process with the crease - creasolution lol?

hpim09640437024.jpg

hpim09650471993.jpg

hpim09660505453.jpg

hpim09670536584.jpg

hpim09680403965.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy