Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Good News Thread

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. Been a bit jumpy all day. Unfortunately gran also has Alzheimers, but before her mind went all melty, she used to tell me stories about the War.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
We got the call from the nursing-home last night. Our doc went over to check and he confirmed it was a stroke.

Dad gave him a phone-call this afternoon. Doc. reckons gran should be okay. It wasn't a very big one and she should recover.

Frankly I'm amazed. Gran's so old when she was born, WWI hadn't even started yet. Glad to still have her around. Dad and I'll probably visit her this weekend.

You and your Family are in my Family's prayers for sure.

You may want to record anything your Grand Mother may be able to state, no matter what, so you can have that for a memory.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Between us, dad and I already have the two things that were most important to gran.

I have her jade and gold ring that she wore all time. Dad kept it but he gave it to me. Now I keep it in my jewellery-box next to my cufflinks. Dad has her old Singer sewing-machine stored somewhere in the basement. Unfortunately those are the only two things of hers that are still in the family, but strangely enough, they were among the most significant...

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Between us, dad and I already have the two things that were most important to gran.

I have her jade and gold ring that she wore all time. Dad kept it but he gave it to me. Now I keep it in my jewellery-box next to my cufflinks. Dad has her old Singer sewing-machine stored somewhere in the basement. Unfortunately those are the only two things of hers that are still in the family, but strangely enough, they were among the most significant...

Thats neat that you and your dad have those thing. Do you think we could see a pic of the ring?...I bet its a real beaut.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thats neat that you and your dad have those thing. Do you think we could see a pic of the ring?...I bet its a real beaut.

You're welcome to see the ring. Although I'm not sure how much of a 'beaut' it really is. I personally was never attracted to it. But then I'm a guy. What do we blokes know? I hold onto it purely for sentimental reasons. Here it is:

grandmasring1.jpg

grandmasring3.jpg

grandmasring2.jpg

It's green jade and diamond-chips mounted in white gold (the last photograph shows the hallmark: "W.G.").

I'd show you the Singer as well, only, dad has it in storage somewhere and I don't have any pre-existing photos of it. It's an electrically-powered vintage Singer sewing-machine with a half-cylindrical wooden hood or lid. Nearly identical in style and design to the antique ones. I'm not entirely sure how old this one is, though. It basically looks like one of those old-fashioned hand-cranked ones...without the crank.

5212429762_431f8c2b64.jpg

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
You're welcome to see the ring. Although I'm not sure how much of a 'beaut' it really is. I personally was never attracted to it. But then I'm a guy. What do we blokes know? I hold onto it purely for sentimental reasons. Here it is:

grandmasring1.jpg

grandmasring3.jpg

grandmasring2.jpg

It's green jade and diamond-chips mounted in white gold (the last photograph shows the hallmark: "W.G.").

That is amazing, has a very nice appeal to it!

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Shangas The ring is gorgeous! What a treasure. Green jade is so beautiful. And wow! the sewing machine is fabulous, another neat treasure to have in the family.

grandmasring1.jpg

grandmasring3.jpg

grandmasring2.jpg

Same reason I hold on to my Mom's engagement and wedding rings (and my Dad's Korean War lighter). The funny thing is I never knew about the rings until after she died because I always remembered her wearing a plain wedding band.

DSCF3271.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Same reason I hold on to my Mom's engagement and wedding rings (and my Dad's Korean War lighter). The funny thing is I never knew about the rings until after she died because I always remembered her wearing a plain wedding band.

DSCF3271.jpg

Constant beauty is so very timeless, you are lucky to have such treasures!

rue

grandmasring1.jpg

grandmasring3.jpg

grandmasring2.jpg

I'd show you the Singer as well, only, dad has it in storage somewhere and I don't have any pre-existing photos of it. It's an electrically-powered vintage Singer sewing-machine with a half-cylindrical wooden hood or lid. Nearly identical in style and design to the antique ones. I'm not entirely sure how old this one is, though. It basically looks like one of those old-fashioned hand-cranked ones...without the crank.

5212429762_431f8c2b64.jpg

I think the ring is gorgeous Shangas and that machine.... they don't make them like that anymore.... lovely :)

DSCF3271.jpg

Your mom's rings were gorgeous too V.C.! I wonder why she stopped wearing them?

scooter

Practically Family
A big shout out and thank you to John Fox and the fellows at HomeDepot. I went in last night to replace the batteries on my "lifetime warranty" cordless drill purchased from Home Depot. Turns out, they don't make the batteries any more as it has been around a while. Mr. Fox acknowledged my situation and put me into a new, nicer, more powerful drill and made me such a deal on it it was impossible to refuse. I've been a great customer for a long time, but I am now a customer for life. Loyalty goes both ways!

I had no expectations of this, and in fact, was initially told, sorry, no way. My wife and I went on our way, and the salesman tracked me down and told me he had made arrangements with his boss to take care of me. Now that, folks, is customer service.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
A big shout out and thank you to John Fox and the fellows at HomeDepot. I went in last night to replace the batteries on my "lifetime warranty" cordless drill purchased from Home Depot. Turns out, they don't make the batteries any more as it has been around a while. Mr. Fox acknowledged my situation and put me into a new, nicer, more powerful drill and made me such a deal on it it was impossible to refuse. I've been a great customer for a long time, but I am now a customer for life. Loyalty goes both ways!

I had no expectations of this, and in fact, was initially told, sorry, no way. My wife and I went on our way, and the salesman tracked me down and told me he had made arrangements with his boss to take care of me. Now that, folks, is customer service.
Wow that was very nice. Yes great service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes