Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Duty for an Aero

I asked for my jacket to be labeled "Used clothing" and I paid $0. That was my last new "used" Aero. I've never paid a dime from any purchases received from overseas. Not sure what's up here, but that's at least one area I haven't been screwed with (yet).

too much coffee

Practically Family
Spoke with the "accounting" department at UPS.
For some reason, unlike the person I got previously, she did not need a UPS invoice number, just the tracking number.
Very nice rep.
Told her the situation. She checked how the package was entered into the system by the UPS person who assigns customs fees.
It was entered as "mens shirts"...which have a higher custom fee.
Asked for Aero's web site.....gave it to her and showed her the exact item I purchased.
Refund is in the works. Will take 4-6 weeks.
She noted if this happens again in the future to refuse delivery, contact UPS, and they will make the appropriate corrections at that time. The driver will make 3 attempts at delivery...so by the next time they attempt delivery they will have the correct brokerage fee.

She also noted the person who entered the item as "shirts" should have called Aero to find out what the item was. :eusa_doh:

Glad to hear about the refund Jeff M.

This still doesn't pass the common sense test. I thought U.S. Customs assigns customs fees, not the carrier.
I wonder who entered the parcel as "mens shirts"? I've had packages from Aero (and one from Eastman) that were opened (inspected) by virtue of that official looking red tape (no pun intended), that reads "inspected" or "opened" or words to that effect, used to reseal the package. If your package was opened for inspection, why didn't the declaration tag say "leather jacket" or some such thing. If it wasn't inspected, who put "mens shirts"......Aero?

So UPS says in the future to refuse delivery........ if the recipient thinks the charges are too high or what? At what dollar amount? What is the criteria? So they're also telling you by the third attempt we'll have it figured out we can't rip this guy off.....we'll have the correct brokerage fees; you can bet quite a bit lower by the redelivery. So what if the recipient doesn't care, has plenty of money, and pays the $157.00?

I'm just venting I guess; it always ticks me off when a large organization tries to bend over Joe Six Pack for outlandish and in some cases unsubstantiated costs.

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
I was the one who posted earlier this week about the $157 "brokerage" fee I was assessed by UPS.
I've called them....initially told that was what the "customs fee was". When I told them I knew of others who received the exact same item to the same region of the country within the past month who had just a $48 dollar assessment...I was referred to another number.
That person noted that the invoice did not say what the item was. Just "A2 jerky seal" ie, the person who assessed the fee likely had no idea what the package contained.
I was referred to another number I called on Monday. Was asked for the "bill number" As I had not yet received a "bill" from UPS in the mail, I did not have that yet. (Didn't matter what the tracking number was....they wanted the "bill" number.)
They also did not "have it in their system yet" .
I will be calling them tomorrow to see if I can get any further.
BTW, the number I was finally given to call at UPS is 582 485 2600...extension 6, then extension 2. Their "brokerage accounting department". Give them a call. The more that hammer on that door the better.

I've also notified Amanda at Aero about this. She was shocked...said that is WAY above the norm for jackets to the states.
Give her a call/email. Tell her what happened. We need Aero to hammer on some doors here too. (This is certainly not good for their business in the states.)

A clarification on the message above - the proper number is 502 485 2600. I have the name of the person that addresses these issues (and her direct line) but I don't know if it is appropriate to provide that on this forum (we'll see if she is able to help me :)...)

I know there have been a number of horror stories about UPS but I have had quite good luck with them (better than FedEx Ground and far, far better than USPS). Fingers crossed here.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
I asked for my jacket to be labeled "Used clothing" and I paid $0. That was my last new "used" Aero. I've never paid a dime from any purchases received from overseas. Not sure what's up here, but that's at least one area I haven't been screwed with (yet).

Boy it's a good thing this is a private forum :eusa_doh:

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Yep, it says used jacket.

I made a very difficult decision today - I refused to accept a shipment from Aero because the UPS driver asked for $157 in fees for duty/customs/etc. I have bought numerous jackets (new and used) from Aero and the fees are usually in the $30-$50 range. This particular jacket happened to be a used one (although the price of the used jackets is now where the new jacket prices used to be :eusa_doh:) and it really surprised me.

I'm sure I'm going to regret it.

Any other experiences with US import fees?

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
^ and ^^ Two different shipments, two different buyers. My jacket was used, Jeff's evidently was new.

I am waiting for a re-delivery of the jacket - UPS indicates that they have reduced the duty from $157 to $47. I received the invoice through the mail from Aero and sure enough the description does not refer to a used jacket. For $47 I'm not going to debate the issue with UPS but I plan to take up the issue with Aero (if there is no duty on used jackets this means that I have overpaid a reasonable sum due to an oversight on Aero's part).

Glad to hear about the refund Jeff M.

This still doesn't pass the common sense test. I thought U.S. Customs assigns customs fees, not the carrier.
I wonder who entered the parcel as "mens shirts"? I've had packages from Aero (and one from Eastman) that were opened (inspected) by virtue of that official looking red tape (no pun intended), that reads "inspected" or "opened" or words to that effect, used to reseal the package. If your package was opened for inspection, why didn't the declaration tag say "leather jacket" or some such thing. If it wasn't inspected, who put "mens shirts"......Aero?

So UPS says in the future to refuse delivery........ if the recipient thinks the charges are too high or what? At what dollar amount? What is the criteria? So they're also telling you by the third attempt we'll have it figured out we can't rip this guy off.....we'll have the correct brokerage fees; you can bet quite a bit lower by the redelivery. So what if the recipient doesn't care, has plenty of money, and pays the $157.00?

I'm just venting I guess; it always ticks me off when a large organization tries to bend over Joe Six Pack for outlandish and in some cases unsubstantiated costs.

Regards,
coffee

From my discussion with UPS, it looks like it is the carrier who decides what the item is and fills out the form sent to US Customs...based on what the shipper puts on their invoice.
In this case, Aero didn't put "Leather Jacket" on the invoice, so the UPS person who filed the paperwork decided to chose "Shirts", looked up what the customs fee is on "shirts" is, and assigned that to the package.
I got the impression that UPS pays that amount to US customs...and is then reimbursed by the "brokerage fee" received from the package recipient.

too much coffee

Practically Family
I'm sure you are correct Jeff. For the amount of package traffic to the U.S. from Europe, one would think these procedures, coupled with U.S. Customs and UPS regulations, would be air tight. With the dollar amount of tarrifs, for the same items shipped from the same locations to the U.S., being so wide spread just suggests financial irregularities that are passed on to the end user. Very sloppy way of doing business.

Regards,
coffee

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
There is no import duty on used clothing. Aero needs to fill out the paperwork correctly as a used item at the beginning of the process.

I'm afraid thats not correct, there is import duty on used clothing. Here's the link to US Customs that explains the situation, only "rags" in bales are free, normal used clothing comes in at the same rate of duty as new.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...-or-import-used-or-worn-clothing-into-the-u.s.

Main paragraph... Used clothing brought or imported into the U.S. for sale is subject to the same duty, marking, entry requirements that new clothing is. This means that used clothing is subject to duty - based on the value of the clothing. If the used clothing has been purchased - say at a flea market or second hand store, the receipt can be used to show value.

The errors experienced here are UPS's errors, and are being amended. Import duty should be around $30-50.

Peacoat

Bartender
Import duty should be around $30-50.

Maybe that's what it should be, but I had to pay an additional $135 to the shipper on an Eastman jacket in September after it got to NY. That's one reason I'm not doing anymore overseas purchases for a while, probably a long while. Haven't had that problem with Aero, but then the one who shall not be named took care of that for me.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I just received a sale jacket that I ordered from Aero, delivered by UPS. They charged me an extra 6.8% (60$) of the total cost of the jacket as a "brokerage fee". I am not sure if there is supposed to be a duty free portion of the total cost or not.

billyb

Familiar Face
Weird...I received my Aero jacket this week and was required to be nothing in customs fees. Just found it sitting on the front porch in plain sight in a high-crime neighborhood...

UPS definitely has their share of issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot