Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What leather conditioner do you use?

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Hi Brian. I would recommend a very, very light coating of Pecard's Classic Leather Dressing. If it all soaks in quickly, you can always add another light coat. The trick is to avoid overapplying - the surface gets sticky and just attracts dirt and grime.

Good luck with your G-1!

Noel

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
WhiskeyTangoFox said:
Hi Brian. I would recommend a very, very light coating of Pecard's Classic Leather Dressing. If it all soaks in quickly, you can always add another light coat. The trick is to avoid overapplying - the surface gets sticky and just attracts dirt and grime.

Good luck with your G-1!

Noel

I couldn't agree more. Use sparingly, very sparingly otherwise you will have to remove the extra as the leather will only use the Pecards it needs.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
bburtner@moran said:
Hello fellow leather wearers,my question to all of the aficonados of the fine leather garment be they new or "vintage" what do we recommend for a very nice early 55J14 Foster.Peccards,Lexol,Fieblings? Thanks Brian.

Can you post pics of your new jacket? I for one would love some before and after Pecards shots.

yoonie

Familiar Face
kiwi leather lotion on leather overcoat?

I have a nice leather overcoat from my dad. It's supple, soft leather- obviously not meant to be abused. I wanted to treat some spots that were drying a bit with my kiwi leather lotion, but was a little afraid that it might mark it up. Is kiwi leather lotion generally ok on everything? I've seen pecard's recommended, should I look into that?

This is the only picture I have currently that shows the leather.

pimpjacketandscarf003.jpg

And just because, the other pic I have from that day

pimpjacketandscarf001.jpg

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
kiWi for shoes?

hi, before i joined this group a few years ago i bought some kiwi to use on a new uswings g-1 replica (of course, it was not accurate, having no windflap...still being sold on uswings)

what i got was an instantly aged look...no, the leather was not poorly affected, but the stuff looks scuffy and uneven on jacket/coat leather...me thinks it's for smaller objects, with a harder quality, where you can intensively buff out the scuffy quality...i'd go with the common knowledge you'll find on the fedlounge...

hoWever, there are two points of view on the fAMouSSSSSSSS pecard's everyone recommends, and i think i'm the ONLy holder of the second point of view...that is that one should avoid anything with petroleum product in it as that eventually deteriorates leather...that is commonly expressed on most leather care websites and informationals

pecard's has petrol product in it, and i have mentioned this on the forum a number of times...no one's attacked my point, but rather, most just shrug their shoulders (in written form) and say they like it...and these people here have lotsa jackets and seem pretty knowledgable...

but i have used something insipidly named leather cpr...it's mostly lanolin, doesn't change colour, has no petrol in it, and does a rather amazing job on my jackets...best, it's a thicker liquid, more viscosity than lexol...important because lexol is sooo liquid it has soaked through thick goat leather on some of my jackets and stained the liner...once stained you have to painstakingly get it out by dabbing tepid water...a real hassle

for what it's all worth...main point being to avoid kiwi on jackets unless you don't mind an instantly aged look, whose only benefit is that the leather isn't aged, probably protected well, but looks superScuffy

yoonie

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the advice guys. Since I was treating dress leather, I was afraid some of the others tips might not apply. I'll look into the lotions you guys have mentioned.

By the way, that's no hublot. It's a nice watch, and a graduation present (and if you really want to know, ends in "gari"), but I specifically chose a rubber band so I wouldn't ahve to worry about it. On the other hand, if I could afford the big bang (rose gold, of course), the picture definitely wouldn't be that blurry.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
hu-gari

that was my first choice, but then (with the bLurrrrrrrrry photography ;) i second guessed myself...either way, niCe taste in jackets and watches

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Lambskin Leather Treatment

I have a lambskin coat that I need to protect from the weather. A product called ITA Protector was recommended but, I can't find it sold anywhere locally or on the internet. Does anyone know where this product can be purchased? Also, is there another product(s) that is recommended for the treatment of this type of leather? Thanks:)

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Kiwi leather protector, Cole Haan leather protector

Kiwi leather protector, Cole Haan leather protector, or the like should do fine. The Kiwi is aerosol and the Cole Haan pump sprayer, both will protect and make your lamb easy to clean. Apply according to instructions. To clean, just wipe with sponge or microfiber towel damp with distilled water (no minerals that would harden leather).
I use a regimen tha involves leather protector, lanolin based lexol cleaner, and lexol conditioner(when necessary). Your leather garments will age gracefully.

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much for your recommendations. I use Lexol on my shoes and it's great. I previously called Lexol (love their products) to ask what they had for lambskin. I was told they don't recommend any of their products to be used on lambskin because they could damage the leather. No problem, I will go with Kiwi. I will be calling the folks at Obenauf to see what they have. I will post my finding when I get my answer from them. Again, thanks.:)

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Lamb and lexol

Interesting. Lexol is labled to work with all finished leathers. It can however change the complexion and soak into non finished leathers or leathers that are so porous that they'll absorb water immediately. My lamb jackets are very fine grained and have some water repellancy even without treatment even though they are natural leathers, no plastic top coat or such. If you research lamb care, there are really no conditioners recommended for it specifically as lamb is very glove soft and absorbent like deerskin. I don't see a problem in using Lexol sparingly on my lamb and have had great results with it. Lexol disowns use on soft leathers because they alter the appearance of leathers that over absorb the conditioners. They probably have gotten many complaints of damaged leather even though the leather through improper application. I've asked several fine lamb coat makers and all simply say leave the lamb untreated save for a water repellant protectant such as KIWI and clean with a damp cloth. What they don't tell you is that lamb is fragile compared with other leathers and that it will dry out and crack eventually. Also, if you use water with minerals in it you will eventually dry and crack the leather beyond repair. Use distilled water only. These things I learned by researching the care and restoration of archival and artifact leathers. I've one Italian made jacket of three years kept brand new by my regimen of lexol cleaner and lexol conditioner along with Kiwi protectant. In this super dry desert climate in which I live, lamb takes a bit of care to keep from environmental damage. If you find a conditioner/lotion product specifically for glove soft leathers like suede, deer, lamb, etc. please let me know, as I am not aware of one. Lexol cleaner and conditioner is ph balanced for leather and in my experience, has the lowest risk of harming the leather dies. Cheaply finished lamb like those found in low priced fashion leathers sustain damage from even plain water. Unfortunately you do get what you pay for and the majority of fashion leather does not have long life in mind as they want you to replace often. To give you an idea of what cheap fashion leather jacket makers have in mind, here is from Wilsons: "Avoid exposing leather to direct sunlight or heat for prolonged periods of time" Now how in the world am I going to enable that and not wear my lamb jacket?? The objective for a worn coat is to protect it so that it can serve your wearing needs and live a long healthy life. With fine jacket materials, it can last a lifetime with proper treatment, but the makers will not tell you that. Best Regards.

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi guys,
What leather conditioner do you all use to preserve your jackets?
I have a can of W.S. Robson's Beeswax, provided by Aero, but haven't used it yet. The smell was so penetrant I would not polish my FQHH Aero jackets with it and loose the nice leather smell. What are your experiences and what polish do you use?
Also, what method of cleaning and polishing do you all use?
Thanks,
Andy

Papa M

A-List Customer
Generally I don't like to use anything on my leather - be it clothing, footwear, bags or furniture. Years ago a leather artisan told me that once you start putting treatments into leather you will eventually have a detrimental effect on it.

However I will apply nourishment if leather shows visible signs of drying and cracking.

I have some 30 year old Timberland boots that are becoming scuffed and cracked. I applied some Lord Sheraton Leather Balsam (very cheap in Waitrose supermarket). It revived them nicely.

However I decided to experiment with some hand-care products. I figure that if it is good for your skin it must be okay on leather. I've applied some Burt's Bees Hand Salve to my Timberlands and also Red Wing boots. It's a very greasy product with Almond and Olive oils. It has seemingly given the leather a fantastic coating of protection without drastically altering colour and patina.

I reckon that anything with a grease content will help revive tired leather - but generally the hides are best left untreated until they are really crying out for aid.

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with Papa M about not using conditioner until the jacket has dried out some--probably 10 years or 15 years from now. Of course if you are out in the rain frequently, your jacket will need conditioner before then. You will be able to tell when it is starting to get dry and in need of a treatment. Most of the experts here recommend only Pecard's for leather jackets.

If you follow those two recommendations, your jacket should give you more years of service than you will be able to enjoy.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Personally, RM Williams Saddle and Leather Dressing. I've used it for years on jackets, shoes, boots, luggage, you name it. Absolutely fantastic stuff. I've seen it used on saddles which have seen decades of outdoor use and still in perfect nick. Doesn't go rancid either, unlike some products.

South

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:
Personally, RM Williams Saddle and Leather Dressing. I've used it for years on jackets, shoes, boots, luggage, you name it. Absolutely fantastic stuff. I've seen it used on saddles which have seen decades of outdoor use and still in perfect nick. Doesn't go rancid either, unlike some products.

Rancid? What products go rancid? What ingredient would cause it to turn rancid?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
South said:
Rancid? What products go rancid? What ingredient would cause it to turn rancid?

Simple. Some of the fats in dressings can go rancid, rotting the leather fibres.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner