Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What leather conditioner do you use?

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
One more vote for Lexol

Lexol cleaner and treatment are two products with which I have been more than happy. The treatment is not greasy or oily but gets absorbed very quickly and evenly into the leather. I looked on line to try to find a local source and stumbled across it at my shoemakers along with great horse hair brushes. The shoemaker actually showed me how smooth the lexol had left his hands.
Tom D

I agree with Papa M and Peacoat...nothing needed for years...especially on Aero's waxy FQHH that is already well treated. Ken Calder advised me years ago that even though they send a bottle of lexol along with their new jackets..it shouldn't be applied until the HH begins drying out in places..and then only very sparingly.
HD

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
South said:
Which products have fat in them?

Many. If I were you I'd look for a product which specifically states that it won't go rancid. I know that both RM Williams and Pecards state that they will not, and if it was me I'd use either of them on my leather goods. I personally use RM because I've been around it for years, my family uses it on saddles, horse tack
and their leather goods and I know it works. Plus it's easy for me to obtain it.

Tommydean

Familiar Face
havent been here in a while... but from what everybody said Picards is the stuff to use.. BTW i have looked all over town for this stuff and never found it. then in the most unsuspecting place i found some... at a gun show!
Tom

AEH

One of the Regulars
Which Pecard product?

A lot of you loungers seem to be happy with Pecard leather conditioning. However, at their site http://www.pecard.com/ they list several different groups of leather care products, apparently with different properties. In a coupel of categories they even list some products containing silicone, which I have been told to avoid.

Classic Leather Care
Antique Leather Care
Motorcycle Leather Care
Equestrian Leather Care
Fashion/Furniture Care
Specialty Dressings
Specialty Creams

So which Pecard product do you use for leather jackets and boots?

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I use Pecards on everything. Helps to water proof and take care of all my boots, visors, jackets. Has really proven itself a great product as winter has hit here.

Papa M

A-List Customer
AEH said:
Classic Leather Care
Antique Leather Care
Motorcycle Leather Care
Equestrian Leather Care
Fashion/Furniture Care
Specialty Dressings
Specialty Creams

Looks like a canny marketing ploy to me. I wonder exactly how different all those products can be.

It is the same in the supermarket. How different is a kitchen surface cleaner from a bathroom surface cleaner?

AEH

One of the Regulars
Silicone

South said:
Why is that?

I just want to stress that I'm very far from being an expert on leather care. My little knowledge of leather mostly comes from making and collecting knives, and most Norwegian knives have leather sheaths. One of the main suppliers of leather to knife makers here recommends using shoe polish on knife sheaths, but not the kind with silicone. According to him the silicone does not condition the leather, it builds up in layers, and is very difficult to remove. If you want to apply leather conditioner after a few layers of silicone, it won't go into the leather. An ordinary carnuba based shoe polish will not build the same barrier. A search on the Internet shows that this is not an uncommon way to see it, but I have no scientific proof. I just live by that, I feel that there is more than enough silicone free leather conditioners on the market.

dnjan

One Too Many
Papa M said:
However I decided to experiment with some hand-care products. I figure that if it is good for your skin it must be okay on leather. I've applied some Burt's Bees Hand Salve to my Timberlands and also Red Wing boots. It's a very greasy product with Almond and Olive oils. It has seemingly given the leather a fantastic coating of protection without drastically altering colour and patina.
Most plant-based oils and fats will oxidize over time (that is what causes something to go rancid). Some faster than others. Anything you put on your skin is generally gone (sloughing of skin cells, etc.) before it goes rancid. But absorbed into leather could be a different story.

Another thing to be careful of is the solvents in some products. Some solvents can make the thread used in stitching to weaken or become brittle.

I prefer to stick with products having proven track records for specific applications. Lexol gets mentioned quite often.

Papa M

A-List Customer
dnjan said:
But absorbed into leather could be a different story.

I tried the Hand Salve on my ancient Timberlands so it will not be the end of the world if they turn rancid. I will be very wary of trying it on some new boots. I have some Cushman Lineman boots coming from Japan and will be sure to only use a recommended product on them.

Thanks for the warning.

ukali1066

Practically Family
Pecards antique leather....use it on my jackets, gloves and boots...with all the snow here the water just beads off my brown Doc Martens...

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
lexol

Lexol, in moderation, and no, I don't wait till it starts to dry or crack, because by then, the damage is already done...but for those who like the worn out look, you'll need to let it damage some before you dress it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I used Lexol - only because I can get it here. It seems okay. I now have Pecard. It's great. I prefer a cream to a spray. I understand Letaps is fantastic - is it still available?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never condition new jackets, but use a light coat of Pecards Antique Leather Dressing on original A2s and Irvins. The results have always been good, providing not too much is used!

AEH

One of the Regulars
Pecards

ukali1066 said:
Pecards antique leather....use it on my jackets, gloves and boots...with all the snow here the water just beads off my brown Doc Martens...

Thanks,
will try to get hold of a small can to try it out.

Lexol:
Have tried it on a few hat sweatbands, works well, but I think I prefer to use a cream on shoes and boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner