Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What leather conditioner do you use?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Peacoat said:
Once it has dried out enough to crack, it is probably beyond saving. I would try Pecard, or other good leather preservative/conditioner.

Ditto. Pecards is used in museums to preserve and renew leather.

Papa M

A-List Customer
But as Peacoat suggests - once it has dried and the hide has actually split there is nothing that can restore it. I guess someone could patch it but it would probably be too costly.

pipvh

Practically Family
It's true: no amount of cremes and lotions will repair a split.

But it has to be said that a really knackered leather sofa (when it's a nice design, like this one) has a weathered glory all to itself. Yours reminds me of one in a favourite after-hours drinking club in London (when there was such a thing as after hours) on which I spent many a hazily happy night...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's a great find. There's a wonderful, weathered old easy chair with cracked leather in Bogart's apartment in The Maltese Falcon. You can't buy that kind of character new.

Pecard's.

Talbot

One Too Many
Thanks all,

for the great suggestions (except the garage crack - there's enough stuff in there already:) ). It looks like I'm in the market for Pecards - lots of it. I hope we have it here.....

I saw an interesting product called Leatherique, but it was more about restoration than preservation. That would not have worked given the many, many irrepairable issues this sofa has, many of which give it character.

It will end up with throw rugs and cushions. I was concerned that it didn't deteriorate any further under whatever my daughter puts over it. Its very satisfying to me that she prefers this over new furniture.

I have an antique sofa, and this is a whole lot more comfortable!

Thanks again,

Talbot

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Leather Jacket Restorer ???

All the copy is written in Japanese, so I haven't a clue what this series of photos is about.
The jacket looks brand new with the exception of the whitish bloom on the surface. Could be mold, could be Pecard like bloom...but I thought it was interesting. Does anyone have any clue and let the rest of us know what the purpose of this 'commercial' was to illustrate ?

moldy_04-1.jpg

moldy_08-1.jpg

The original post was found here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=24448&page=47

Papa M

A-List Customer
Not Japanese. I think Taiwanese.

Clearly it shows how to revive a mould infested jacket.

I have a load of Japanese clothes magazines (Free & Easy, Lightning, Mono) that regularly have features on cleaning and restoration. It is very frustrating not being able to read the text.

(Note to self: Find Japanese girl-friend.)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I suspect this repro Dubow had the "mould" added to sell the product. I have never seen an original A2 with so much white mould let alone a repro until now.lol

Papa M

A-List Customer
aswatland said:
I suspect this repro Dubow had the "mold" added to sell the product. I have never seen an original A2 with so much white mold let alone a repro until now.lol

....and the fact that the knits look to be in such mint condition suggest that you are right.

The Buzz Rickson sign in the background also hints that it is a marketing exercise.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Papa M said:
Not Japanese. I think Taiwanese.

Clearly it shows how to revive a mould infested jacket.

I have a load of Japanese clothes magazines (Free & Easy, Lightning, Mono) that regularly have features on cleaning and restoration. It is very frustrating not being able to read the text.

(Note to self: Find Japanese girl-friend.)

If you find one, see if she has a sister lol

On a serious note, what is the normal best way to shift mould if it has occurred?

pipvh

Practically Family
I'd like to know as well: just discovered a dusting on my 1945 Jerkin, Leather. It's my tree-cutting jerkin, but still...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925