Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where's my Cocktail?

Were you at the Boxcar Lounge?
http://www.boxcarlounge.com/
Ever been there Jack?

Haven't been there. Though given the address, I might have been there before it was The Boxcar.

A place I kind of like is the Lansky Lounge:

Originally a speakeasy named after regular customer Meyer Lansky, Lansky Lounge has evolved from a small art deco space occupying one-third of Ratner's—the Lower East Side's kosher-dairy eating institution—to a swanky 200-plus-capacity supper club boasting a full dinner menu (sans the special "K" denotation). Slip through a narrow alleyway and up a small set of stairs to enter Lansky through the original front space, now a bar/lounge area decorated with framed photos of Lansky himself. A renovated dining room lies on the other side of the swinging double-doors. On Friday and Saturday nights, tables are cleared away, inviting the mostly white, twenty- and thirtysomething uptowners and out-of-towners to "unofficially" dance. — Kenneth H. Hyman

It is now called The Back Room, but the sign outside reads 'Lower East Side Toy Company.' It's been renovated again, but it still has the speakeasy feel to it. Music is...eh. Non-offensive indie rock. They serve pretty damn good cocktails in coffee cups, though. Recommended.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Personally,

A cocktail should only contain 1-2 ingredients.

Jack Daniels/rocks
Grey Goose martini and make it dirty.

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
farnham54 said:
It's amazing how many things are made better with the simple mantra: add more rum.
*snip* For you rum lovers out there, give Cap'n Morgan Spiced a try, just sip it. It's delicious.
I was recently very impressed by the Cap'n's Tattoo Rum, I believe it's called.

That's some fine sippin' rum! lol

Respectfully, one ingredient does not a cocktail make - it makes a shot.:)

My quick rules for defining a cocktail (perhaps slightly altered/stolen from David Embury's The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks)

1. Served in a cocktail glass (That triangular shaped glass that everyone else wrongly calls a martini glass)

2. Served ice-cold but without ice. (Lukewarm drinks make lukewarm friends :) )

3. Minimally contain one liquor and one non-carbonated mixer. (Carbonated drinks are fizzes, bucks, horse's necks, etc. - Great drinks, but not cocktails)

4. Have visual appeal: should sparkle and be without pits, pulp, scum, etc.

5. Be the cocktail it's supposed to be! When I order a Sidecar, I want a Sidecar, damn it, and not what some actor manque bartender thinks is a better version of a Sidecar though it has not one of the ingredients that's supposed to be in a Sidecar!

Over and out for now

Senator Jack

Senator Jack said:

My quick rules for defining a cocktail (perhaps slightly altered/stolen from David Embury's The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks)

1. Served in a cocktail glass (That triangular shaped glass that everyone else wrongly calls a martini glass)

3. Minimally contain one liquor and one non-carbonated mixer. (Carbonated drinks are fizzes, bucks, horse's necks, etc. - Great drinks, but not cocktails)

5. Be the cocktail it's supposed to be! When I order a Sidecar, I want a Sidecar, damn it, and not what some actor manque bartender thinks is a better version of a Sidecar though it has not one of the ingredients that's supposed to be in a Sidecar!

Over and out for now

Senator Jack

Gee, tell us what you really think. :p
I agree except for the glass. I drink a Manhattan in a Old Fashioned glass or a highball glass. It just doesn't seem right to drink it out of a Martini glass. :D Does that mean I am not drinking a cocktail? [huh]

Regards,

J

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Senator Jack said:

Over and out for now

Senator Jack

Now you're going to have to back up those words with action, my friend.

Bring it. Show me. ;)

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
On New Years Eve we ran out of cosmopolitans so Katy made a cocktail incuding squash, brandy, vodka, triple sec and lime juice. It was scary

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Yes, it's a shame that I missed that...I was/am too new to the Lounge to prepare properly for such a gala event.

But I'm sure that armed with your traveling shaker, you'd make even an old (sorry--vintage!) rowboat an exciting affair.

I always have my shaker with me. lol :D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Senator Jack said:
Had my traveling shaker on the QM. Sorry you missed it. Though I must admit at 2 a.m. I was mixing haphazardly. And with no sieve to strain the lemon/lime juice and no cocktail glasses to be found, I felt quite the barbarian.:eek:

Regards,

Senator Jack

Sleep completely slugged me both nights, and I missed all the fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner