Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which items of vintage clothing would you never wear? And why?

sproily

Practically Family
No. It is making fun of the new trend of wearing sportswear (like plus fours) in town. In 1931 ;)

Usually boys would wear short trousers until they are old enough to count as "young men" Then they would start wearing long trousers.
I think my mom (although she is not that old) told me it was because kids alway fall on their knees and would tear their trousers then...

In the joke this is reversed

Yes. That is what I meant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)

Hal

Practically Family
...that style is just so "antiquated" (and I know many of you gents will take umbrage with that expression and rationale...
Different people will draw the line between classical/traditional and anachronistic/archaic in different places.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I forgot to mention one particular item: I think I could never bring myself to wear a bow-tie. Others can pull of that look to great effect but on me it would just look downright goofy. I'd be giggling and pointing at myself constantly.

Last edited:

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I forgot to mention one particular item: I think I could never bring myself to wear a bow-tie. Others can pull of that look to great effect but on me it would just look downright goofy. I'd be giggling and pointing at myself constantly.

Everyone thinks that at first, Mario. Give it a go. I think it would suit you.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Different people will draw the line between classical/traditional and anachronistic/archaic in different places.

Hi

I took my 25 year old son by the Renaissance fair a couple of weekends ago. I saw many interesting things, drank some mead, ate a turkey leg, saw belly dancers with muffin tops. Personally, I draw a distinct line between traditional and archaic between me and the tights with a codpiece combination. Thank GAWD D'Artangan didn't wear one.

Later

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I don't doubt it. The only time I've seen any of Texas outside of an hour in Houston airport, changing I've been to Vegas, Boston, NYC & DC, which areb't places I'd expect to see the cowboy gear. I'm sure it makes sense in context. I really don't care for cowboy boots either, but learning more about their design gave me an appreciation of the utility factor in them.

My dad had a pair of cowboy boots that he wore more or less on a daily basis, whenever he could get away with it (I live in Southwestern BC). He absolutely loved them and said they were the most comfortable and rugged footwear he ever had. I'd believe it, because he must have worn those things for over ten years. I don't think I could really bring myself to wear cowboy boots though; maybe if I worked on a ranch at some point or something.

Flicka

One Too Many
Funny. My girlfriend, who is very much into vintage fashion and very capable of making her own clothes, really dislike the style from after ww1 and up until Dior's New Look. She often refer to it as baggy, shapeless floral dresses that does nothing good for the complete image. And I tend to agree. It's a bit of a shame really, as I think mens fashion had quite a high point in the 30s, and I dislike (in general) post ww2 male fashion. So we often end up, for special occasions, with her looking very Belle Epoque, and me looking more 30s/40s. Bit of a clash, but it's not like either of us try to recreate a certain period. We just wear what we like, and combine as we see fit. Old and modern, who cares, as long as it looks good :)

The 20s and 30s "baggy, floral dresses"? For shame, sir, you are referring to my favourite fashions!

Florals were certainly no more common then than in the 40s and 50s, and as for "baggy"... Like Flooey says, the 30s had an extremely fitted waist (actually a fitted silhouette all over), and I love the drape-y, relaxed look of the 20s. No other fashion era put fabrics and embroidery to such splendid use!

On the other hand, I was thinking about naming New Look "stuff I wouldn't wear"... ;)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I hate to see anyone in their 50s or 40, or 30s even come to think, wearing obvious teenage dress. Male or female. Example, a woman in her 50s wearing bobby socks, or denim dungarees with a gingham top with hair in bunches. Yes it happens.
I would never wear as above(the male version, not the gingham top etc.) or dungarees or any era related clothing with a car or motorcycle, open face skid lid, goggles, black bike jacket yes, because I have always worn them.
Nor any kind of uniform with rank insignia of any armed forces, though I do wear surplus, mainly for work.

nihil

One of the Regulars
Depends on if you fancy this or not?
But each to their own, some like some things, others like other things :)
1923MotherHandsFolded.jpg

jkingrph

Practically Family
Although I frequently wear shirt stays due to being intolerably skinny, I don't think I could ever wear sock garters.

When I was in OTS we had to wear what was called shirt garters, they hooked to shirtails, and ran down outside of legs and hooked onto sock tops. Kept the shirt tucked in and socks pulled up. I rather liked them and at times wish I had some today.

Pinesiw

A-List Customer
Dont think id ever enjoy sporting the bow tie and knickers outfit, just not my style. Because of the country I find myself wearing old style work clothing more often and I really enjoy that. In the city I go for more of a depression era look. Although I do love the victorian outfit with top hat, its just not practical enough for me.http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...3_100003897247088_21622_2021227865_n.jpg?dl=1
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0_100003897247088_21629_1167021761_n.jpg?dl=1

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
I love a U. S. Navy Admiral's cape with a crimson lining like FDR often wore -- but I doubt that I'd ever wear one, myself never having been an Admiral yet having great respect for the office. But what panache!

Last edited:

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I've worn it before but I never want to wear it again...

And the uniform hasn't changed the design much in a 100 years:

West Point Dress Gray Uniform.

4016214155_989cf5ddb9.jpg

As a caveat that's not me, just two random cadets.

motorpsycho67

Familiar Face
A few things... (I'm sure this will be blasphemy here)

1. Knitted ties and/or square end ties. I just think they're fugly. To each their own though..

2. Double breasted suits. You guys look great in em, just not for me.

3. Three (or more) buttoned suits. Not my style. One or two buttons please...

4. English pleats. They just go the wrong way...

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I have for now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21