Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which one is the best A-2 repro manufacturer? Eastman, Buzz Rickson, Aero Leather, Re

Jorgeaguilera

One of the Regulars
Thank you everyone , yes looks like the answer to this is GW, I hope to get one of them soon, anyway if someone has a GW A-2 size 42-44 available for sale... let me know

aming06

New in Town
Why do you prefer BR and The Few A2s? They are more expensive than GW and less accurate repros. Have you owned a custom made GW A2?
Well...BR is ok, but... yes, The Few is much more expensive. I like the HH quality of the The Few, but I don't like its price (>2000US$). Frankly the Japanese they modified a little on the design. I compared them between TF and ELC when I was in Japan, even the jackets are in same contract number and original maker, The Few is slimer than ELC. I didn't take any one from GW, but I think it's good on the accuracy.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Well...BR is ok, but... yes, The Few is much more expensive. I like the HH quality of the The Few, but I don't like its price (>2000US$). Frankly the Japanese they modified a little on the design. I compared them between TF and ELC when I was in Japan, even the jackets are in same contract number and original maker, The Few is slimer than ELC. I didn't take any one from GW, but I think it's good on the accuracy.
This is what we have been talking about over here. You always have the Japanese fit vs. regular western fit.

It is really a personal preference anyway, if you want custom fit (slimmer), you can always go for Aero. The fit of my Aero A-2 is miles better than my ELCs anyway.

Mind you, one can also choose different contracts to have a better fit. Some contracts have a stiffer, more angular shoulder cut, some have more generous cut at the tummy. It is always an trial and error to find the perfect A-2.

CBI

One Too Many
I don't like the Japanese cut as generally, it doesn't look like a period cut. True each contract was different but only GW really takes advantage of this (ELC with a few models). The Few jackets are beauties but they all tend to look like they are cut the same way and many of the hide options look pretty modern and not appropriate to me. Also, body shape of the wearer is key. I have owned a number of Aero A-2's and I never cared for the fit, I always have a tummy (except I don't have one). With GW you really hit all of the bases and frankly, if one likes a slim Japanese cut, John can do it if asked and as noted earlier, he's half or 1/3 less than the Japanese. These, who's the best maker threads come up every once and a while and there is never really a resolution as only very few posters have first hand knowledge of ALL the manufactures. There is also an ego battle, after someone has spent thousands on a number of Aero's ELC's or GW's of course, what they own tends to be "the best".

Edward

Bartender
The thing that always amuses me is overweight, balding, middle-aged men arguing over whose leather jacket is more accurate to one that was historically worn by skinny kids in their early twenties. Please note that I say this explicitly as an overweight, balding, middle-aged man myself. lol I'm all for accuracy in the jackets, and I find the details interesting. What I'd love to see on the market would be an A2 that is reasonably accurate to a USAAF spec at the GBP100 / USD150 mark. Not the jacket I personally would want to buy at this stage, but it would be great as an entry-level thing for those less able to spend what some of us do on jackets, and/or younger kids who are still growing and for whom it would thus be silly to buy a premium-price jacket they'll grow out of in a year or two. (I'm a confirmed fan of the mid-level priced repros - my used Aero and ELC jackets are ideal for me to wear in my civilian context; I'd love one of John's one day if I can afford it, though).

The thing that always amuses me is overweight, balding, middle-aged men arguing over whose leather jacket is more accurate to one that was historically worn by skinny kids in their early twenties. Please note that I say this explicitly as an overweight, balding, middle-aged man myself. lol I'm all for accuracy in the jackets, and I find the details interesting. What I'd love to see on the market would be an A2 that is reasonably accurate to a USAAF spec at the GBP100 / USD150 mark. Not the jacket I personally would want to buy at this stage, but it would be great as an entry-level thing for those less able to spend what some of us do on jackets, and/or younger kids who are still growing and for whom it would thus be silly to buy a premium-price jacket they'll grow out of in a year or two. (I'm a confirmed fan of the mid-level priced repros - my used Aero and ELC jackets are ideal for me to wear in my civilian context; I'd love one of John's one day if I can afford it, though).

At the age of 50, I still battle on Sundays rooting for the Vikings and Penn State.
I still think the Camaro is better than the Mustang.
And while I love all my jackets for different reasons, I won't say any of them are better than any other - especially ones I don't own. What I do have is a closet of jackets I love. Sometimes one will fall out of favor, and I sell it off and replace it. It's fun, and harmless.

As to your last point, I think USWings when they have their $195 specials, offers a good bargain for growing kids or those on a budget/not loaded with extra cash.

CBI

One Too Many
there are always a hundred or more cheap used A-2's from companies like Cooper or US Wings on eBay. Young folks (and old) can always fine a great deal. I agree about the typical flyer being in his 20's, skinny, etc and that was who the jacket was built for however the more one searches, the more one finds period photos of older guys wearing these. Guys a little heavier. As stated before, everyone has their faves and its good to leave it at that however I can understand someone in the marker for a repro A-2 asking the question on a forum like this. Looking at the history of the arguments, after a few years of battling with Eastman and Aero owners, it's pretty well established that Good Wear makes the most accurate copies of WW2 A-2's. Most agree with this. Its funny to remember all the folks touting the accuracy of Aero and ELC A-2's. Once it became a given the GW won in the accuracy dept, many guys who were arguing ELC/Aero' accuracy suddenly started saying that 100% was not really that important to them. I think all makers need a pat on the back for taking the time to market A-2's and by doing so - supporting the A-2 and its history.

@CBI: Totally agree - good post. Most of us aren't flying B17's or B24's, so I think we should enjoy the fact that we obviously have something great in common and go with that. A little rivalry is fun, but really, celebrate the A2 (and others) while enjoying and learning from each other.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Edward, ButteMT61 and CBI all make very good points on the current state of the A-2 market. There is an A-2 for every budget. Having spent a lifetime collecting A-2s, original and repop (more repop), I have found that I like the inexpensive A-2s as much as the top dollar A-2s. A daily wear A-2 is from the mall and is distressed with side warmer pockets but is very comfortable and cool looking. It hangs right next to the all the other flight jackets. As stated in aprevious post there is something good in all the jackets. Bottom line I guess is as long as your are happy with your purchase the tip the hat as you see a guy wearing an A-2 walking down the "flightline" so to speak.
BTW the guys and gals flying the warbirds at airshows, ever see what they are wearing...NOT an Eastman or GW usually a cooper or other type goatskin jacket that can take the abuse of flying and doing preflights and not worry about a 1000.00 jacket.
2 cents Enjoy your flight jackets this fall and winter!!

@ Phantom: Exactly! I have a USWings A2 made from period-incorrect cowhide. Love this jacket, and I got it for the $195 sale price. I can take that one camping and not worry about anything. Then, I can don my Aero A2 and go to the office and feel just as good, and know it's not going to get trashed or lost in the woods :)
I think that's why most of us have a closet full of jackets. You simply find that there is a need for more than one to use for different situations. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but then I point out her little "collections" and she leaves me alone!

Gracias Coffee!
Phantom: My wife asked me last night "how many jackets do you have" I replied, "well, after I sell the..." Wife: "No - how many do you have NOW?" Me: "Um, leather or otherwise?" Wife: "Leather" Me: "Hmm, I think about 6-8, but remember when you started collecting glass - you started with pieces that you got rid of later because the more you learned, the more you had to upgrade?" Wife: "Yes. Does that number include the two new ones you have on order???" Me: "No dear..."

:)

kurtboy

New in Town
A-2 Purchase Help

Hello everyone first post! Great site, have been looking for this site like this for a long time.

I wanted to see if anyone can help me decide on an a-2 jacket. I have attached a few links of sites that I was interested in but wanted some opinions. I am sure there are other companies that I am not aware that offer jackets as well so any help would be appreciated.

http://www.cockpitusa.com/store/100-Mission-A-2-Jacket.html

http://www.uswings.com/sigseries.asp A-2 goat signiture serise or cowhide

Thanks again,

Kurt

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There's a vast amount of information and opinion on A-2s here - thousands of pages. Do a few searches in Outerwear and you'll see.

The main decisions you have to make are two. The first is what you actually want to buy: A reproduction of a WWII A-2, a current-spec Air Force A-2, or an A-2-inspired civilian jacket. You then have to decide how accurate and/or expensive you want to get within those categories. Across everything that's available, there's a wide range of materials quality, cut and fit differences, manufacturer location and specialties, and prices to take into account.

Essentially, there are three categories or ranges:

Current-spec and current-spec-derived generic jackets - these are typically made in goatskin or cowhide with synthetic linings and knits, and are in the $200 to $400 price range. US Wings and Cockpit are in this category.

Mid-range repros - these are made of horsehide or goatskin, with cotton linings and wool knits, and aim to replicate the 30s/40s jackets in a generic way (vs. reproducing specific manufacturer's models from the period), without getting down to the detail level of period-accurate zippers and snaps. These are generally in the $300 to $600 price range. US Authentic and Gibson & Barnes are in this category.

High-end repros - these attempt to accurately reproduce 30s/40s jackets, in both generic "house" models and specific reproductions of the around-a-dozen companies that made A-2s in the 30s and early 40s. Prices run in the $600 to $1000+ range, depending on the manufacturer and specific jacket. Eastman, Aero, Real McCoys, Lost Worlds, and Good Wear are the usual suspects.

One thing you should not be swayed by (unless it's what you decide you want) are the many jackets from the low-end manufacturers that are tricked out with painted backs or map linings, or are just current-spec jackets made in horsehide instead of goatskin. They charge a lot more for these "accurate reproductions of WWII jackets", but they're still just low-end jackets with a paint job or a different hide to give them an old-school flavor.

Anyway, good luck in your search...

Flyderf

New in Town
Welcome to the forum.

Just like anything else, consider your price range. I'd say $300 on the lower end for a quality A2, all the way $1100 for a top shelf reproduction. If you have a common size you will have good luck picking up a used Aero or Eastman reproduction. If you want the real thing watch ebay, but I would read up and do some research on the small nuances of picking out the "real deal", there are some unscrupulous sellers who try to pass off reproductions as originals.

I agree with Andrew, John of Good Wear Leather is top shelf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy