Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1970s Taubers of California Trucker

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I called this a Grail jacket because I have been on an unofficial search for one. I heard about Taubers from an old member here. I started following the Taubers brand. In my search I came across a handful of these Truckers, but never one I could wear. They all have the orange label I associate with the 70s. I had a cafe racer with this logo. I have also seen this in brown.

This is one of the few jackets I own from this era, one of the few I could have bought new. Most too old. I could have walked into Taubers in San Francisco and bought this jacket.

This is a light weight jacket that moves Taubers into the fashion leather. I suppose they were trying to stay relative in the changing market. Heavy horsehide was gone.

The jacket looks like it was made last week. I've been wearing it everywhere since I got it. It is a size 46 and wears like such. I can get this on over my heavy sweatshirts so can take it in the cold weather.

The shine will probably last forever!

DSC07882.JPG
DSC07883.JPG
DSC07884.JPG
DSC07885.JPG
DSC07886.JPG
DSC07890.JPG
DSC07891.JPG
DSC07893.JPG
DSC07897.JPG
DSC07898.JPG

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
congratz Terry, it looks brand new
btw nice blue reflection on the outdoor photos, with that vest you can easily play as sidekick in next Blade movie

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Terry, congrats on that beautiful Trucker! It really does appear as next to brand-new. I like it a lot.

I like the back even more. It's always been a question in my mind, albeit a silly one. Why no truckers, button or snap-up without the Western "V" Yoke on the back? Seems it would be a natural. Much as I do really like this one, I would love to see a denim trucker with such a back. I would suspect there is one somewhere but I have never seen it. Most trucker's just do not have much character in the back panel designs, perhaps that is intentional. There - I spilled my thoughts and dreams. Time to hit the hay for tonight. :)

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations Terry: I prefer vintage jackets myself and love that feeling when we score a well-fitting jacket we been searching for years. Sourcing a recently made reproduction jacket no matter how well made does not come close to inducing the same good feeling.
I like the vest also

technovox

One Too Many
Nice score! I had a Taubers trucker in a size 40 a few years back. Just a bit too tight on me. And I didn't know what I had, so I sold it for pennies. You'd think there would be more of the T Truckers around...more so than their cafe racers. Lucky you found one that fits in a size 46. It's definitely a keeper!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Terry, congrats on that beautiful Trucker! It really does appear as next to brand-new. I like it a lot.

It was certainly shiny in the sale pics! It looked liked new when it arrived.I'm in the wear it all day sorta club now. Cold here in and out, as you know neighbor, so getting it on.

Congratulations Terry: I prefer vintage jackets myself and love that feeling when we score a well-fitting jacket we been searching for years. Sourcing a recently made reproduction jacket no matter how well made does not come close to inducing the same good feeling.
I like the vest also

You know I'm a Taubers fan, like you. I just sold a Taubers police jacket in the classified. I have the half-belt and the horsehide shirt. I owned a orange label cafe racer, corduroy lining! I've seen colored leathers from this era, other sorta modern looking jackets too.

Use older Folks remember the Bay area of the 60s/70s. It was quite vibrant! I could see all manner of people strolling in the Taubers shop during this era. I would think they would have been doing a lot of local business. Local artist, players coming through town.

Jacket connections add to the jacket attraction.

Nice score! I had a Taubers trucker in a size 40 a few years back. Just a bit too tight on me. And I didn't know what I had, so I sold it for pennies. You'd think there would be more of the T Truckers around...more so than their cafe racers. Lucky you found one that fits in a size 46. It's definitely a keeper!

I have seen a few over the years, but never one I thought would fit me. I made the guy an offer so I could get it. Probably cost me a few $$ but I wanted it for me.

I have seen a brown one also. All I have seen have the orange label. I probably have pictures of others.

I've had fit issues with truckers. I've found Taubers to be pretty true to their stated size. A 42 would not fit me. If I see a 44 I will be interested.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Regarding Taubers sizing, I recently purchased a Taubers CHP size 44 with the Noble House label from John. I later purchased a larger size Taubers CHP also form John in mint condition. The larger Taubers does not have a size tag but it must be 46. The 46 is loose on me but I much prefer the fit of the 46 over the 44 which I have sold on ebay. No taker here. Last November I pick a mint Taubers pull-over shirt size 44. It fits me like it should sung but not overly restricting. I am still hunting for a Tauber cafe racer size 46 might try size 44 in good condition padded preferred. Hint!
I am 5-8, 175 lbs, 43 chest, 34 waist

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Oh wow, I didn't even remember that I posted about my hunt here.

Well, I thought I'd add some pics of my brown Tauber for the TFL archive. Still want a black one though. Just something about it. :cool:

View attachment 562204
View attachment 562205
View attachment 562207
View attachment 562206
View attachment 562208
View attachment 562211
View attachment 562212
View attachment 562213
View attachment 562214
How heavy is your Brown Taubers? Looks more substantial than my size 46 black, more like my new black. My new one only has one set of snaps at the adjustment. What label did this have?

Nacho

Practically Family
How heavy is your Brown Taubers? Looks more substantial than my size 46 black, more like my new black. My new one only has one set of snaps at the adjustment. What label did this have?

About 5.5lbs. It's heavy, but very easy to wear.

It doesn't have the orange Tauber label. It has Hard On (HO) Leather label, which was a store in San Francisco that only existed for a short amount of time from 78 to 80.

https://opencorporates.com/companie...MYXKNha03b0m1N6tdsSYi93lL4sKYe9gzoCPSta7ZeCJc

tempimagewtwsya-jpg.532829

tempimagewuocjv-jpg.532830

tempimageyphec6-jpg.532831

tempimagevm8kws-jpg.532832

img_5111-jpg.532833

(Hard On Leather from other jacket. Not mine.)

The address of this store is 1133 Polk Street which is only a few doors down from Johnson Leather at 1183 Polk Street. And if I remember correctly, Tauber was located on Mission District, which is a few blocks away from JL and HO. I'm sure they all knew each other and were part of that Nobb Hill area in San Fran.

1655146103449-jpeg.432810

(50s Tauber label with Nobb Hill)

HO is similar to Taste of Leather. They weren't makers. They were just stores selling leather jackets and boots. I've seen jackets with the Taste of Leather label and they were mostly made by Tauber due to close proximity to each other. I believe this is the case for my trucker as well - an order made by Tauber for HO. Here is a pic of HO back in the days.

https://flic.kr/p/aMsVm
Now, my Tauber is similar to your new black Tauber, Terry, in that they're both double stitched whereas your old Tauber is single stitched. I believe mine and your new one were made later toward the tail end of Tauber's run i.e. late 70s or even early 80s. Your old black Tauber was made early 70s similar to the Tauber's purple 60s label. Please see pics below and notice the collar, kidney belt, and cuffs' stitching.

Your new Tauber

20231111_150538-jpg.559910

Mine

tempimagekwae6i-jpg.562204

Your old Tauber

dsc07890-jpg.206865

60s Tauber trucker

1660245220320-png.444081

There are a few more similarities I can point out between mine and yours. But these are the crucial ones. I mean, the two jackets look identical. I've never seen any other makers having this style and design of the type 3 trucker. If it looks, smells and feels like a Tauber, it's probably a Tauber lol.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for your reply on the Taubers.

I looked in the Taubers of California thread for this 1984 ad for Taste of Leather:

1701453789119.png

This certainly confirms Taubers was a name in 1984.

I had thought my size 46 in the lighter leather was the last of the breed. Now you have shown the same heavy leather in a jacket from the late 70s to 80s!

The Mushroom jacket above has the "60s" label. I will have to find one with that label.

This Trucker could easily be an "only" jacket. Taubers are in the top of my collection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB