Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 RAF Greatcoat related question (repair and button aging)

nos402

New in Town
Hey! I have a 2 vintag RAF WWII Greatcoats. One has brass buttons which I prefer but it also has a tiny round hole that I'm wondering if there's any way to repair it. I can't imagine how it could be but I'm no tailor. Also should I worry about it getting bigger over time?

hole.JPG

My second coat has the Staybrite buttons and I was wondering if there was any way to get them to looks more like authentic brass, maybe even aged a little.

Thanks! Hope someone can help!

Last edited:

nos402

New in Town
Buy some old Kings Crown brass buttons at Ebay. :)

I thought about it but these things are sewn in GOOD! The non buttoning side are actually flush with the coat liker they're sewn in under the surface. The quality of the tailoring is awesome on these things but replacing all the buttons would be a PITA! And thus probably cost a pretty penny and not to mention I'd just have to hope whoever did it would do a good job! A lot of effort, cost and risk for a small detail.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
When messing around with chemicals to make the new buttons look old, would probably involve a greater risk of ruining the coat - than removing buttons and sewing old ones in. Just a thought! ;)

nos402

New in Town
When messing around with chemicals to make the new buttons look old, would probably involve a greater risk of ruining the coat - than removing buttons and sewing old ones in. Just a thought! ;)

True. I'm not too concerned with it. I can handle shiny buttons. Just thought I'd see if there was some easy way. What I really want is to just wear my coat with the brass buttons but that tiny arm hole bothers me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany