Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'37 Cord 812 on eBay

Flivver

Practically Family
I've wanted a Cord since I was a kid. When I was ten (1961), I rode my bike to a local used car lot that had a Cord advertised. It was a 1936 Cord 810 Sedan, painted white. The original engine had been replaced with a Pontiac V8 (a common conversion in those days). The price...$1,550...a lot of money in 1961.

My dad surprised me by going to look at the car! But he didn't surprise me at all when he refused to buy it.

These days, the closest I'm going to get to owning a Cord is with the handfull of Cord scale models I own. Back in the 1960s, AMT did a 1/12 scale Cord 812 Sportsman. I built one of these when I was 15 and still have it. From what I've seen, it's the nicest Cord model out there.

Moby

Familiar Face
I suspect that this Ebay auction may be a scam using a high jacked account. The seller has been an Ebay member since January 2003 and only has 5 positive feedbacks. Also those 5 positive feed backs are so old they are no longer listed.
It's rather strange that someone with so little Ebay activity suddenly shows up with a rare and very expensive classic automobile. In the past I have seen other auctions like this. The lack of high quality images and how few are posted with the auction is also suspicious. I wouldn't bid on it. I post more and better pictures when I sell a $100 watch on Ebay.
There is a saying on Ebay about questionable auctions. "Don't buy the item, buy the seller". If you are interested in a very expensive item, examine the seller as much, if not more than, the item.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Moby said:
I suspect that this Ebay auction may be a scam using a high jacked account. The seller has been an Ebay member since January 2003 and only has 5 positive feedbacks. Also those 5 positive feed backs are so old they are no longer listed.
It's rather strange that someone with so little Ebay activity suddenly shows up with a rare and very expensive classic automobile. In the past I have seen other auctions like this. The lack of high quality images and how few are posted with the auction is also suspicious. I wouldn't bid on it. I post more and better pictures when I sell a $100 watch on Ebay.
There is a saying on Ebay about questionable auctions. "Don't buy the item, buy the seller". If you are interested in a very expensive item, examine the seller as much, if not more than, the item.

that and i always turn away when i see "seller is selling for another party"

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
This looks like the same car, available at CollectorCarTrader online, as well as on Hemmings.com.
http://ww2.collectorcartrader.com/details.php?adId=90223666
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/cord/beverly/605194.html
Sometimes a dealer in one location will advertise a car in another location, so the different phone numbers may not be a problem.
Anyhoo, it's a gorgeous car. I'd inquire on the Hemmiongs or Collector Car websites, tho, if I were interested (ha! in my dreams!).

So if someone wanted this car bad enough, couldn't they just seal a deal on Collector Car Trader or Hemmings at $76,500, rather than going with an unknown minimum at Ebay ($77,000 is below reserve price)? And does the dealer on CCT & Hemmings know someone else appears to be trying to sell the same car on Ebay? What would happen if you'd done a bona fide purchase through one of the former two, and then it works its way up to $100,000 or more in bidding on Ebay? Big problems and red flags over the whole situation IMHO.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
This looks like the same car, available at CollectorCarTrader online, as well as on Hemmings.com.
http://ww2.collectorcartrader.com/details.php?adId=90223666
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/cord/beverly/605194.html
Sometimes a dealer in one location will advertise a car in another location, so the different phone numbers may not be a problem.
Anyhoo, it's a gorgeous car. I'd inquire on the Hemmiongs or Collector Car websites, tho, if I were interested (ha! in my dreams!).
It may look like the same car, but it isn't. The eBay auction lists the car as being in Bedford, PA, the others list St Louis, MO. The photos in the eBay auction show PA antique plates. Also, the PA car has the side pipes, the MO car doesn't have them.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
it's rather strange that no one has even put a bid in for a classic like this and it only has a day to go...someone's gonna get scammed...imo...also imo, anyone that can afford it should really fly to bedford, pa to check it out before handing over the dough...thats why i don't think i'll ever buy a car off ebay...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran