Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a completely different beast....

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
I'm officially "addicted"!
A listing for a shearling lined Bootlegger popped up on the Classifieds page just at the time I had amassed a bit of extra cash from selling off a few things (I was saving the cash for another custom order from Thurston Bros/Aero). I had been very curious about the cxl steerhide and have been wanting a true cold weather leather jacket. On a whim I bought it and now have a brown cxl heavy steerhide shearling lined Aero Bootlegger (just as we head into summer:eusa_doh:). Oh well, this should be a great late fall and winter jacket.
Boy is this a different beast altogether. Truly stood on its own when unboxed (my Maxwell never really did). What a strange feeling it was to take the new jacket off after wearing for my 45 minute drive home from work, and put my FQHH Maxwell on....the Maxwell (nicely broken in) felt like a lightweight windbreaker! I think the heavy steer combined with the thick shearling lining will be the biggest "break in" challenge yet. I am not sure of the leather weight/thickness...does anyone know what Horween specs are for their cxl heavy steer? The jacket itself weighs in at just about 7 lbs.
Fit seems pretty good, and I'm certain that when the hide relaxes it will be even better. It is ever so slightly large, but again I believe that once it softens, and drapes to my body more it will be pretty much perfect. Fit pics attached have me only wearing a lightweight long sleeve t-shirt underneath.
This hide is so completely different than the cxl horse that I'm shocked that it was ever passed of as the horsehide (although I'm sure it was a lighter steerhide than this). Everything from the color/surface sheen, to the texture and surface grain is different. The smell is much less pronounced than my fqhh Maxwell as well. This jacket, basically brand new, has a barely detectable leather smell, but my Maxwell is still very rich smelling. Is this because of the hide or somehow maybe related to the lining? I would have expected that any cxl tanned leather would smell the same.
Going to be awhile before I can justify another jacket (although I have been contemplating a custom build through Johnson Leathers:D).
bootlegger_NEW_stand 1.jpg bootlegger_NEW_stand 2.jpg bootlegger_OPEN_ 1.jpg bootlegger_ZIPPED_ 1.jpg bootlegger_BACK_ 1.jpg

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks great on you. Nice fit too. I think its inspired me to wear mine today ;D

Its the first Bootlegger I've seen without a chest pocket though, not a criticism just an observation. While mine came without epaulets (I couldn't make up my mind and forgot to specify either way) I quite like them on yours.

I dont find the steer to be THAT different in weight or thickness to the HH...maybe my Steer is from a slightly thinner or lighter batch? but it is graining up and breaking in a faster than any of my HH jackets. Either way, it looks great....enjoy wearing it in.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Stellar jacket!

My zip sleeve HWM is in brown CXL steerhide, as well (with corduroy lined sleeves). I highly prefer the 4-4.5oz steer to the 3oz FQHH. It's thicker, heavier, juicier and the pull-up effect is more dramatic.

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
Thanks all...
ProteinNerd....yes, it must have been ordered by the original buyer without the pocket....in some ways O like the more simplified front. Also, I'm usually not a big fan of epaulets, but in this case I think they work well.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Glad this jacket found a good home. The steer is typically in the 4 - 4.25 oz range, unless someone asks for an especially heavy hide which is around 4.5 oz. We talk all the time on here about how the steer is the red headed stepchild to the HH, when it is so stunning and many prefer it once they've seen it in person. It's just good that even from one company, we all have the choice of so many different hides from which to choose.

I absolutely love the different color shades that you get with CXL. I know it has its detractors but to my eyes it's beautiful stuff.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
You sir, are a man after my own heart! I've a Bootlegger I bought off the sale page at Aero but I wen the light weight route. All my latest jackets have been light weight and buttons. Yours looks great. The heavy stuff will break in... eventually. It's been so cold still that you can keep wearin' it! Ain't nature grand?

Worf

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info pawineguy...I did end up getting the original specs from the buyer and he did indeed ask for the heaviest hide available....and a hide with varying color shades (which I happen to be a fan of as well).

"Leather : Super-Heavy Chromexcel Brown Steerhide (4.5 to 5 oz) - The heaviest Steerhide obtainable by Aero. Also asked for a hide with more colour variations / undertones leaning towards a Ruddy / Brown hide. As such, that jacket looks different in different lights and lots of tone variations.
Lining: Thick Brown Sheepskin Shearling for body and Brown Alpaca Wool lining in both sleeves for extra warmth."

Worf, this is definitely heavy duty and the recent cold weather here lets me get a jump on breaking it in before next winter.

Nick123...it indeed has a more matte surface than the fqhh or vicenza jackets I have...I actually like the sheen on this jacket most of any of my Aeros... I honestly wish I could knock down the glossiness a bit on my other jackets!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24