Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A driving cap replacement

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Gents I need a bit of assistance, I'm not sure if it's a driving cap or a newsboy cap (is there really a difference?)

But a gentleman friend of mine has been wearing the same hat for 20 some years because he likes it and cant find another one.

I don't have pics at the moment, but it's a bit of a squarer shape, with an almost baseball type adjuster on the back...if you guys have any ideas what it is...he wants another one and I said I knew the experts to help find one! I'll have pics hopefully Sat.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The pics will help, but I think it's a driving cap of some kind. A newsboy is round and has eight fabric panels on the top (see my avatar). A driving cap usually has one solid piece for the top.

The main thing throwing me in the adjustment, but that might be a feature unique to a manufacturer.

Corky

Practically Family
Here's a bit of advice...

As per your request for a bit of assistance:

<i>A gentleman friend of yours has been wearing the same hat (a driving cap or a newsboy cap) for 20 some years... because he likes it... and can't find another one... it's a bit of a squarer shape... with an almost baseball type adjuster on the back... he wants another one...</i>

Before we get started: the "almost baseball type of adjuster on the back" has been the mark of a cheap, inexpensively produced hat since that device was introduced in the late 1970's as an alternative to having to make up and sell hats of various sizes. It makes no sense to look for or to encourage him to wear a similar hat.

If this guy has been wearing the same hat for 20 years, he probably has some serious issues about his self-image. He is does not wear his current hat because he likes it, he is wearing it because it somehow expresses some aspect of his personality, because wearing his favorite cap expresses on some level Who He Is.

You can't do much about that. But you can get him a new hat.

If you love this guy (or are at least fond of his friendship) the least you can do is to enable him to transcend his attachment to his worn-out old cap.

Here's how it works:
A.) Determine your friend's true hat size.
B.) Sit him down in next to you in front of your computer monitor.
C.) Then go to any page (this one will do) on THE FEDORA LOUNGE.

Then move your cursor to the banner ad at the top of the page that says BENCRAFT HATTERS (or you can go to any other hat vendor's web site, but we'll stick with BENCRAFT for the purpose of this advice), and right click to Open In New Tab. Then Right Click on Caps & Berets, and Right Click again to Open In New Tab on Leather Hats and repeat the Right Click to Open In New Tab on Flat Caps.

Then the two of you look for a suitable replacement cap (with a full awareness that he is likely to wear it for the next twenty years).

When you find a hat that your friend feels like he might be comfortable wearing, add it it to the shopping cart, and then whip out a credit card and order it right away.

Best regards and good luck

kiltie

Practically Family
If this guy has been wearing the same hat for 20 years, he probably has some serious issues about his self-image. He is does not wear his current hat because he likes it, he is wearing it because it somehow expresses some aspect of his personality, because wearing his favorite cap expresses on some level Who He Is.

WOW!!! Just like my underwear! Today, I change them, and in doing so... I change who I am. I can already feel the butterfly emerging from the cacoon of my former self.

carldelo

One Too Many
Corky said:
...and right click to Open In New Tab. Then Right Click on Caps & Berets, and Right Click again to Open In New Tab on Leather Hats and repeat the Right Click to Open In New Tab on Flat Caps...

Are you kidding? I think Caity is already familiar with the operation of the personal computer, but maybe I'm just not getting the joke...

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
ok...:rolleyes:

anyway, I got a look at the hat today, it's a Stafford. It has a round-ish seam connecting near the bill and two seams on either side of the adjuster on the back.

Pics are coming...as soon as I remember my camera!

Corky said:

<i>A gentleman friend of yours has been wearing the same hat (a driving cap or a newsboy cap) for 20 some years... because he likes it... and can't find another one... it's a bit of a squarer shape... with an almost baseball type adjuster on the back... he wants another one...</i>

Before we get started: the "almost baseball type of adjuster on the back" has been the mark of a cheap, inexpensively produced hat since that device was introduced in the late 1970's as an alternative to having to make up and sell hats of various sizes. It makes no sense to look for or to encourage him to wear a similar hat.

If you love this guy (or are at least fond of his friendship) the least you can do is to enable him to transcend his attachment to his worn-out old cap.

Here's how it works:

Then move your cursor to the banner ad at the top of the page that says BENCRAFT HATTERS (or you can go to any other hat vendor's web site, but we'll stick with BENCRAFT for the purpose of this advice), and right click to Open In New Tab. Then Right Click on Caps & Berets, and Right Click again to Open In New Tab on Leather Hats and repeat the Right Click to Open In New Tab on Flat Caps.

Then the two of you look for a suitable replacement cap (with a full awareness that he is likely to wear it for the next twenty years).

When you find a hat that your friend feels like he might be comfortable wearing, add it it to the shopping cart, and then whip out a credit card and order it right away.

Are you kidding?? If not...sorry man,you sure are assuming alot....and unloading a buncha BS..IMHO. Unbelievable...
HD

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Corky said:

Here's how it works:

Jeeze, man!

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Corky said:
Before we get started: the "almost baseball type of adjuster on the back" has been the mark of a cheap, inexpensively produced hat since...

Actually, you can regularly find interesting flatcaps with a material or leather "adjuster" on the side or in the back. Sometimes they are even hidden. I have seen the leather strap that is more than mere decoration on flatcaps ranging everywhere from 20 bucks all the way to 150 dollars.

[huh] [huh]

Wil Tam

Practically Family
sheesh ... how did I miss this

hey corky ...
sterb292.gif

got anything else to say?
----------------
Now playing: Portishead - It's a Fire
via FoxyTunes

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Dewhurst said:
Actually, you can regularly find interesting flatcaps with a material or leather "adjuster" on the side or in the back. Sometimes they are even hidden. I have seen the leather strap that is more than mere decoration on flatcaps ranging everywhere from 20 bucks all the way to 150 dollars.
Yep, my father had a few of that ilk, from England/Ireland circa 40's-50's. You still see them around occasionally.

kiltie

Practically Family
Okay, okay, okay...

There was actually a question at the top of the thread, even though the ensuing business has been fun. I think Caity's best bet would actually be to sit her friend down and look over "Hats" here on FL. I also have to agree that fitted is the way to go, not because of any particular outlook on adjustable hats and the type of personality they reflect [huh] , but because they look a little more...put together. If you see one you like on FL, PM the owner; ask him where he got it. MOST of the members want to lend a genuine helping hand.
My go to cap is fitted, and I picked it up at Burlington Coat Factory for all of about ten bones. I've had it for more than ten years, and it has been ABUSED. Still looks very presentable though. Another thing to consider, if it's to be a cap, like a fedora, you may want two; one for the cooler days and one for the warmer. I think somebody already mentioned Hannah. You can get these on eBay very reasonably, and they're great hats! If you go through a store front, expect to pay at least $45 for a Hannah, but I've seen 'em on the auction site with a BIN of say, $30 sometimes.
That's all I got...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner