Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Hat of a Different Color

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
It was $5.00 at a local antique store. To say it was filthy would have been a kindness. But it had a good ribbon and maybe a good sweatband. When I washed it, the sweatband disintegrated. So, I blocked it to fit my head without a sweat. (I can get away with it, with fur. Wool is impossible, for me.) The real surprise came when it dried. I had only seen a slight hint of the multicolored nature of this pile of rabbit hair. Is it brown, grey, red, or blue?

P1070172.jpg

It has the biggest moth hole I've ever seen, but I love the shape and the color(s). I can't bring myself to part with it.

P1070174.jpg

From a distance, it looks brownish grey, but only from a distance!

P1070167.jpg

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Wow- what a cool old hat- sure is different! I wouldn't want to get rid of it, either. Someone ought to be able to come up with a Moth Hole Repair kit........I know I'd buy it.

carter

I'll Lock Up
JT, The color looks like an irridescent brogreble on my monitor. ;) :) Whatever it is, it's a neat color.
I imagine a bit of glue and some felt scraped from the interior of the hat might patch that hole but you'd have to do both sides and that could be tricky.
Have you ever replaced a sweatband on any of your other refurbs? JP showed me how to do this once upon a time.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
Have you ever replaced a sweatband on any of your other refurbs? JP showed me how to do this once upon a time.

Yes, I've done quite a few. I just wasn't sure, when I blocked this one , that it was a keeper. The wierd thing is, it's quite comfortable without one. Much lighter, too.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well, the repair 'kit' for a hole like this is more of a do-it-yourself situation but I'll attempt to explain. Sure would've been helpful if I would have taken process photos when I fixed a big hole in one of my old Stetsons but I didn't. :eusa_doh:

Get a small can of Super77 spray adhesive by 3M available at hardware and office supply stores.

Use 150 grit sandpaper under the brim to sand up some fluff felt to use to patch the problem. This will need to be done repeatedly, evenly and carefully as you will be working both sides of that hole and building up layers of patch felt fluff until you reach your desired effect.

Spray a small shot of the adhesive on a piece of paper at close range so you get a little wet puddle of the stuff. It dries real fast so have some toothpicks ready. Use one of those to get a dab of the glue and dot it around the hole underneath the brim. Then, take an amount of the felt fluff and press it onto the glue and use the clean end of the toothpick to blend it into the felt around the hole. Do this until you have a thin layer of felt spanning the hole.

Now it gets tricky. Use a Post-It note and paper or a bag so that you protect the hat top from overspray. Use a hobby knife to cut a hole in the Post-It to just a tad larger than the hole in the hat and put it over that area. Cover the rest of the hat and go outside to shoot a very quick spray of the adhesive (about a foot away) onto the hole area so it gets onto the newly applied felt fluff showing through from underneath.

Here's where you needed to already have plenty more of the felt fluff ready 'cuz you'll want to zip back to your work table and work that fluff into the area from above this time, welding it with the felt you applied from below earlier.

You have to repeat this from above and below and press the layers together and work them into the brim and keep at it until a reasonable patch/plug has been achieved. Note that the handling with your fingers and the glue itself sometimes darken the donor felt, but all you're trying to do on a job like J.T. has in front of him is to plug the hole not entirely fool the eye.

But I have done this on a couple and then they blended in enough that I forgot about it.

Fortunately the hole on J.T.'s hat is in a good place for a not-too-noticeable repair.

Whew! Hope this helps.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Great guidance, Gene. I do have one question though.
Wouldn't it be better to sand up some fluff inside the crown beneath the sweatband (no problem in this case) so the sanded area is hidden behind the sweatband and sandwiched between the sweatband and the ribbon?
[huh]

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
Great guidance, Gene. I do have one question though.
Wouldn't it be better to sand up some fluff inside the crown beneath the sweatband (no problem in this case) so the sanded area is hidden behind the sweatband and sandwiched between the sweatband and the ribbon?
[huh]

Great idea if you can work in there effectively. Or if the hat has no liner, inside the crown is the best place for obtaining the graft.

On the one's I've done, I really couldn't be bothered trying to get in there so I went under the brim and by evenly scrubbing up what was needed from a large area and then brushing it back smooth afterwards it didn't leave a scar.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Gene, Many thanks for the tip. I had done one of those repairs, about two years ago, and perhaps this one, now. Thing is, though, I sure am going to miss that moth hole! :D

HatSoup

Familiar Face
Looks brown to me. Here is a list of Crayola colors you can use to help you identify the color of your hat:

Almond
Antique Brass
Apricot24
Aquamarine
Asparagus
Banana Mania
Beaver RN> Bear Hug2008
Bittersweet
Black8
Blue8
Blue Bell
Royal Purple