Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Journey Through The Savoy Book

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
For the past six months or so I have been experimenting with the recipes in the Savoy Cocktail book. I have been trying all kinds of concoctions. I have bought many ingredients and have quite a stock now that is capable of a wide variety drinks. Some are good and some I don't care to drink again. I am currently on "w" in the book.

After my first sortie through the book, I will share a few of my findings....if anyone is interested.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Oh that would be spiffing if you could list the top ten! Must admit my copy is for display purposes only, they all seem a bit complicated"

3195785053_6e5c79edd4.jpg

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I have two copies. A nice 80's printing that looks identical to the original and a copy at home that I use to mix and write notes in.

Several of the ingredients are no longer made or have changed.

Curacao is sold as orange or blue. The book gives no indication which leads me to believe this liqueur has changed. Hercules is not available....but there are so many cocktails that can be made that it will keep me busy for some time.

They sure loved gin back then.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
MK said:
I have two copies. A nice 80's printing that looks identical to the original and a copy at home that I use to mix and write notes in.

Several of the ingredients are no longer made or have changed.

Curacao is sold as orange or blue. The book gives no indication which leads me to believe this liqueur has changed. Hercules is not available....but there are so many cocktails that can be made that it will keep me busy for some time.

They sure loved gin back then.

I would have suggested that the curacao was the orange variety. Why? My old Mr. Boston (from 1940), has a colour advert showing their curacao which is orange in colour.

Hallgarten in Spirits and Liquers suggests that curacao is available in orange, brown, white, blue and green colours.

I think the difference is just colour though as they all taste of orange.

I think for vintage cocktails I would use orange or clear that seems more in keeping with the colour scheme.

What is Hercules? What cocktail is it used in? It would be neat to find a modern-day alternative. :)

NicknNora

A-List Customer
MK said:
For the past six months or so I have been experimenting with the recipes in the Savoy Cocktail book. I have been trying all kinds of concoctions. I have bought many ingredients and have quite a stock now that is capable of a wide variety drinks. Some are good and some I don't care to drink again. I am currently on "w" in the book.

After my first sortie through the book, I will share a few of my findings....if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested in hearing about your experiments. I have a Savoy Cocktail book but haven't tried any of the recipes. I love gin so I'm sure there are some good ones to try. I also like rum (I can't remember if they had a lot of rum drinks...I think they did?).

Nora

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
What is Hercules? What cocktail is it used in? It would be neat to find a modern-day alternative. :)

Another one of those defunct ingredients. :rage:

Hercules appears to be an aromatic wine based spirit from England.
There has been a good deal of speculation on what Hercules was like, a few dedicated researchers have found it contained Yerba Mate.

Some info here:
http://underhill-lounge.flannestad.com/2008/01/17/the-mystery-of-hercules/

Absinthe_1900 said:
Another one of those defunct ingredients. :rage:

Hercules appears to be an aromatic wine based spirit from England.
There has been a good deal of speculation on what Hercules was like, a few dedicated researchers have found it contained Yerba Mate.

Some info here:
http://underhill-lounge.flannestad.com/2008/01/17/the-mystery-of-hercules/

With today's technological abilities, I am sure if you find a bottle with even the most miniscule amount left in it then the ingredients could well be determined. They did this with Egyptian "beer" found in a tomb a while back. They made some from the results they obtained. Lets make some Hercules. ;) :D

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
That works if you can find an extant bottle with some contents.
There are some brands out there, that are like that Famous Falcon in the Bogart movie. I know because I'm looking for a couple of these elusive brands.

Then there are gems like Abbott's bitters that can't return in their original form because of an ingredient no longer allowed by the FDA.

Sometimes you get lucky with a vintage spirit coming back like Herbsaint, where they still have the original formula. And some unnamed collectors have still sealed original bottles. ;)

Herbsaint40sera.jpg

Absinthe_1900 said:
That works if you can find an extant bottle with some contents.
There are some brands out there, that are like that Famous Falcon in the Bogart movie. I know because I'm looking for a couple of these elusive brands.

Then there are gems like Abbott's bitters that can't return in their original form because of an ingredient no longer allowed by the FDA.

Sometimes you get lucky with a vintage spirit coming back like Herbsaint, where they still have the original formula. And some unnamed collectors have still sealed original bottles. ;)

Herbsaint40sera.jpg

Well, now that I know what to look for, perhaps it is a bit easier. So far no luck on eBay. ;) :p

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
With today's technological abilities, I am sure if you find a bottle with even the most miniscule amount left in it then the ingredients could well be determined. They did this with Egyptian "beer" found in a tomb a while back. They made some from the results they obtained. Lets make some Hercules. ;) :D

I've got a bottle of Pimm's No. 4 Cup (Rum Based) like this. Although I expect they still have the recipe.

Absinthe_1900 what else are you looking for? Have you tried Pimento Dram yet?

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
On their own and the number 2 is apropos--thats what it tasted like. :p

Ah yes I quite agree Pimm's No. 1 Gin is not very pleasant on its own. Far better to be mixed with lemonade or ginger ale. It's a whole ceremony in some places in the UK.
I think the number two was discontinued in the 1970s so unless you had it a while back it would be pretty old by now. Would be a nice thing to try.

Ethan Bentley said:
Ah yes I quite agree Pimm's No. 1 Gin is not very pleasant on its own. Far better to be mixed with lemonade or ginger ale. It's a whole ceremony in some places in the UK.
I think the number two was discontinued in the 1970s so unless you had it a while back it would be pretty old by now. Would be a nice thing to try.

I suppose it must have just been 1 then. [huh] I have it hidden around here somewhere to strip the wax off the linoleum floors. ;) :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff