Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A New Huge Highwayman

PDX

New in Town
I am a new member but have been lurking since December. A week ago I received my Aero Highwayman in black steerhide. I went for the bi-swing back and zip sleeves as a nod to my old Langlitz Columbian. My mother bought me the Langlitz as a college graduation present. For a traditional motorcycle jacket Langlitz is tops in my book (my Portland pride showing through). My mother was the person that purchased Langlitz jackets and other gear for the Portland Police Mounted and Motorcycle patrols. She knew their products and their staff. It was a little surprising to have my 60+ year old mom come up with such a cool gift.

I broke that jacket in by wearing it every day for a year. It was indestructible and I felt like I was wearing armor. I wore it for 10 years but eventually I spread out of it.

Around christmas my 13 year old asked to try it on. As he was doing so I remembered how it felt to wear. So began my search for a replacement. I took a pass on Langlitz since they only make biker jackets and a bomber that I don’t care for. I wanted a basic jacket that was heavy and custom made to my large frame but that would look ok away from the motorcycle since my riding days are behind me.

Fortunately, in my searches I found the Fedora Lounge, which led me to Aero. It was shipped 2 weeks later than promised but that wasn’t a big deal. As everyone knows, they’re swamped.

I don’t know if it’s the biggest they ever made but I am 6’6” and pretty chunky. I wear a 52XL jacket. I sent my measurements and they nailed the fit. No extra charge for the large size. I am very happy with the jacket although in retrospect, I would have liked the lapels a little smaller (they scaled them up with the jacket).

I appreciate all the advice snagged off of this site. I will probably ignore the advice about any sort of accelerated break in. I like to work them in slow.

Thanks again to all the folks that take the time to post here. I have learned a lot.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
post a picture please!

hey we would like to see this jacket ... also I think your mom is really cool for getting you a mc jacket!

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Aero truly is top notch, I have my third Aero jacket on order now. Ditto for the pic request, we all love to see various jackets, especially being worn by their owners.

Welcome to the lounge, this is a great place.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, please post some pics of the jacket while you are wearing it. The break in for the steer will be shorter than for the FQHH. Certainly glad it is a good fit.

PDX

New in Town
I am unacustomed to having requests for my picture but here goes:

CIMG0237.jpg

and here:

CIMG0238.jpg

The back photo doesn't do the fit jutice. I was self concisously holding my arms somewhat back which made the jacket flare out. It fits about as well as anything can on a large type person.

PDX

New in Town
I agree

I have been working the lapel to fold it. I hadn't thought about wetting it. Thanks for the advice. You would think in Oregon it would get wet all the time naturally but it has been pretty nice here lately.

PDX said:
I have been working the lapel to fold it. I hadn't thought about wetting it. Thanks for the advice. You would think in Oregon it would get wet all the time naturally but it has been pretty nice here lately.

PDX
Every time I get an Aero...I hold the collar under the tap...getting it quite wet..shaping it it...and then letting it slowly dry. The collar fresh from the seamstress always seems either too flat...or cupped in the wrong direction. I think you'd be pleased with the results.
HD

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I agree the collar looks a bit big, but that is a darn nice jacket. Once you wet the collar, and really work it, it will become pliable and soft. Then it will lay down in a way that makes it less noticeable, and it wont look so big.

Here's a photo of an Indiana Jones Last Crusade style jacket (not my own, stole it from the net), known by Indy fans to have a larger collar. It has relaxed, and looks great.

LCJacket.jpg

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Great looking jacket PDX! Thanks for posting the information and pictures. Although not as tall, I am very broad in the shoulders, (and the waist:D ) and wear a 50 jacket. It is good to see that they do such a good job for guys that need bigger sizes.

Now if Buzz Rickson would break down and do some L-2 jackets for big guys It would be big guy jacket nirvana for me. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails