Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A quick simple question...what is Velour?

Psykik

New in Town
Hi,
I am new to this wonderful forum, but not new to wearing a fedora.
For the last several years, I have gotten some great mileage out of a fur felt (unlined) fedora I bought from Orvis on clearance. Before that, I wore Lite Felt wool fedoras.

Now that the Orvis has seen its better years, I am looking again. As with most of my hobbies, I like to do my research, so like with my cigars and watches, I seek out and gain experience from the aficionados.

I have looked at some eBay hats and the archives here have helped to sift out the possible deals from the overpriced names of yesterday's fame and quality.

Onto my question-
I have seen vintage hats listed as being genuine velour. I know velour from shirts that used to be in style years ago and was more of a description of the finish of the material.

In hats, is velour an indication of finish or of the material, or both?
When I see the word "velour" on vintage hats does this refer to felt hats only?

I appreciate the mini-lesson!

Be well,
Rob

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Its a finish!!

Onto my question-
I have seen vintage hats listed as being genuine velour. I know velour from shirts that used to be in style years ago and was more of a description of the finish of the material.

In hats, is velour an indication of finish or of the material, or both?
When I see the word "velour" on vintage hats does this refer to felt hats only?

The felt can be finished many different ways. Velour is just a finish they put on the fur felt.

Here is an example!

http://www.millerhats.com/dobbs1.htm

http://www.hats-plus.com/detail.aspx?ID=87

Art Fawcett here at the lounge can make you one. His prices start at $125.00 for a custom made fedora.

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/m_hats_new_felts.htm

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I read once that the velour finish on fur felt hats was accomplished by a brushing technique that slightly raised the fur, thus resulting in a very soft finish. You see it alot in they Tyrolean style hats. Not really my favorite style, but each to his own.

fedoralover

Psykik

New in Town
Thanks for the response.
It isn't really my preference in a fedora finish, but I was wondering about what "velour" in the vintage hat listings referred to.

Rob

Joedahat

New in Town
Velour?

as posted on another site:
Fur felt hats are chiefly made of rabbit fur. Some hare fur is used to make better hats, and is often mixed with rabbit fur to produce hats in various medium price grades. Beaver, the finest fur, and nutria are usually used in the best hats.

Velour Finish,
This is famous for its deep lustrous nap, like that of fine velvet, and its extreme, melow pliability. Of all the finishes, this has, probably, the most fascinating appeal to the sense of the touch. The operation in its creation includes "sharkskinning" the hat body which really means combing up the nap and pulling out short fibers with real sharkskin strips mounted on a furiously rotating wheel. Then the fur fibers are clipped on special machines which flail away like a barber's clippers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy