Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A saetey razor, a safety razor, my kingdom for a saftey razor!

Edward

Bartender
Tell you what, I'm tempted to give one of those a shot after I saw how much cheaper the blades are than the cartridges for my Fusion... How long do blades last, though? I get about a month out of one on the fusion.

Otium

New in Town
My Own Experiences

My experiences with both safety razors (grandfather's old Gillette DE fully adjustable) and straight razor (a Dovo I picked up) weren't that impressive. I found despite all my best efforts I would cut my face more and never got a very close shave. When you add in the time needed to do it right then they really came in behind. Much as I want to use the older systems I find the Mach3 does a better job in less time with less nicks and lasted longer. Besides, trying to shave with a straight razor while taking fifteen degree rolls at sea isn't as fun as it seems.

On the other hand nothing beats working with good shaving soap and a badger brush. Definitely one of the simple pleasures of life.

Michaelson

One Too Many
While strolling through an antique store over the Holidays, I came across a glass display holding several period safety razors...including one from the 50's that was a VIBRATING safety razor by Gillette! The card next to the item stated.... 'It WORKS!!! (use at own risk!)'lol

Regards! Michaelson

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Generally...

...speaking, the heavier your beard, the less you need something beyond a cartridge razor. When someone tells me they don't see better results from a DE, I believe them, but consider the reason is a light to moderate beard.

If you have a truly heavy beard (like me), no Sensor, Fusion, or anything else gets as close as a DE. I've tried them all and none compare. For the many men who can use a cartridge razor, they are lucky. For all the talk of cost, they are a much faster shave and you practically have to work to cut yourself.

In general, the more blade exposure you have, the closer your shave can get. Properly handled, a straight will absolutely give the closest shave. It also is the most nick prone, and the slowest -- although users get better with time. Straights require stropping, honing, and other care procedures. Those who love them swear by them, and I suppose they enjoy the maintenance to some degree.

DEs provide a good intermediate solution between a straight and cartridge. They are generally faster to use, require less care than a straight and give a very close shave. There is a reason that legions of men rapidly gave up straights. It's nice to not strop, hone, and etc.

If a cartridge razor gives you a good shave, that's great for you. They are stocked everywhere, quick, and convenient.

Regardless, try to find a way to enjoy your shave -- you have to do it every day!

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
Otium said:
My experiences with both safety razors (grandfather's old Gillette DE fully adjustable) and straight razor (a Dovo I picked up) weren't that impressive. I found despite all my best efforts I would cut my face more and never got a very close shave. When you add in the time needed to do it right then they really came in behind. Much as I want to use the older systems I find the Mach3 does a better job in less time with less nicks and lasted longer. Besides, trying to shave with a straight razor while taking fifteen degree rolls at sea isn't as fun as it seems.

On the other hand nothing beats working with good shaving soap and a badger brush. Definitely one of the simple pleasures of life.

I missed your first post so welcome to the forum. I'm new around here myself. I'm an officer in the Army Reserve but my dream has always been to be a naval officer. It just hasn't worked out for me so far. Best of luck and welcome.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cooncatbob said:
I shave my melon 3 times a week with one of these.
Bob.
1608770698_bc1ebc9f1e.jpg

Great rack, Bob! ;)

But seriously, did you make them yourself?

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Mid-fogey said:
."..speaking, the heavier your beard, the less you need something beyond a cartridge razor. When someone tells me they don't see better results from a DE, I believe them, but consider the reason is a light to moderate beard."

Interesting point, I hadn't thought of this, but I also think that another factor is the thickness of the skin on the face. If one has thin facial skin combined with a thick beard, this is not a recipe for success.

"In general, the more blade exposure you have, the closer your shave can get. Properly handled, a straight will absolutely give the closest shave. It also is the most nick prone, and the slowest -- although users get better with time. Straights require stropping, honing, and other care procedures. Those who love them swear by them, and I suppose they enjoy the maintenance to some degree."

My solution is to have several straight razors so when they get dull you sharpen all of them at the same time. I have 4 in my rotation plus a new (to me) one that I got for Christmas. I find that it takes me about 1 hour to do all of them every second or third month.

"DEs provide a good intermediate solution between a straight and cartridge. They are generally faster to use, require less care than a straight and give a very close shave. There is a reason that legions of men rapidly gave up straights. It's nice to not strop, hone, and etc."

I have a cousin who I turned onto using a straight razor but has since moved on to using DEs except for special occasions because of these very reasons. He says that the straight razor gives the better shave but the DE is still better than a cartridge razor and is much quicker with less maintainance.

"If a cartridge razor gives you a good shave, that's great for you. They are stocked everywhere, quick, and convenient.

Regardless, try to find a way to enjoy your shave -- you have to do it every day!"

Interesting that one method doesn't work for everyone isn't it, since one would think that a beard is a beard.

Edward

Bartender
de Stokesay said:
Interesting that one method doesn't work for everyone isn't it, since one would think that a beard is a beard.

I know what you mean! :) I'm intrigued by Mid-fogey's comments too.... I find that I don't always get quite as close a shave as I'd like when rushing out in the morning. Head is easy enough, but there's something about the shape of my chin..... there's no way I'd ever consider using a straight razor on myself, but via this thread I'm getting into the idea of a safety for those occasions and evenings out when I have more time to spend on it. I don't have the time to go for anything other than convenience on a day to day basis, but when I'm preparin for a big night out I do enjoy my shaving ritual.

How easy / expensive is traditional shaving soap to get hold of? With the modern stuff i use, I find that the gel gives me better results than foam (no idea why). I do have to use the "sensitive skin" stuff, though, or I'll rash out.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
I find that I don't always get quite as close a shave as I'd like when rushing out in the morning. Head is easy enough, but there's something about the shape of my chin.....

That's when all those facial contortions and generally looking like you're after first place in a gurning competition comes in handy!

I use one of those bright red Gillette thingies with three blades. The colour of it is a bit violent first thing in the morning but it does a damn good job, gives me a very close shave.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I suppose...

...I shouldn't say too much Edward. There are shaving sites that go into excruciating detail on every aspect of the shave. Given differing skill levels, attention to detail, steadiness of hand, follicle thickness, hair density, growth direction, etc, etc, there is a potential for enormous variation.

If you get a month from a blade, I'm guessing that using a DE or straight would be more trouble than it is worth for you. It's true DE shaving can be cheaper because the blades can be very cheap, but as a practical matter it doesn't work out that way. What with "shaving brush acquisition disorder" and "razor acquisition disorder" and other collecting dementia you probably end up spending more.

J.A. Daub

New in Town
Shhh!

Don't tell the poor man about such things, after all you can pick up a good DE on eBay for $5-10. And really, that's all that you need, well, maybe a good badger brush...hmm...not sure which handle I like best...maybe horn....and the rosewood....and the porcelain is a good deal...you know, a straight might be fun....I'll start with a cheap one....that was worth it, the shave is GREAT....the DOVO Bergischer Lowe sure looks nice....it is NICE....I lke this Trufitt&Hill Ultimate shaving soap, but I think I'd like to try a cream....West Indian Limes, Lavender, Almond, they all smell good and give a great shave, let's try the pre-shave oil....it works great....hmm....old coffee mug to whip up lather is a bit of a pain....pewter bowl, horn bowl, porcelain bowl, maybe a monogrammed scuttle(yes I have all of them)....hey, a seven day set of straights, those things are worth a ton, I'll just toss a bid in of $$$....well what do you know, I won....

Seriously, I've got $$$$ of shaving related parphernalia because I wanted it, and it DOES look cool laid out on the vanity. I could have easily stopped at a 1954 Gillette Super Speed that I got for $12.43 and Col. Conk's shave soap from the drugstore with a cheap brush and it would have worked ten times better than the Mach 3 and canned goop.

Edward

Bartender
Is it a terrible sin to consdier trying out an old style safety razor along with the modern goop in a can type stuff to begin with? ;)

I'm not gonig to give up my Fusion any time soon, but you've all got me jonesing for something retro now (darn and blast this place...... it's turning out as expensive as that guitar board did! :eek: ). :rolleyes:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm quite sold on Alba cream shave myself. It's soap-free, so it doesn't dry the skin, and I very rarely ever nick myself. And any manufacturer that is forthright enough to promise best results when less, not more, of their product is used is well worth supporting, in my view.

So while I too am tempted by the notion of a vintage double-edge razor, I would be loath to switch to a brush and soap (though I'd like to give that method a try just once).

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Edward said:
Is it a terrible sin to consdier trying out an old style safety razor along with the modern goop in a can type stuff to begin with? ;)

I'm not gonig to give up my Fusion any time soon, but you've all got me jonesing for something retro now (darn and blast this place...... it's turning out as expensive as that guitar board did! :eek: ). :rolleyes:

Get yourself one of these razors and you'll never go back to the multi bladed monstrosities.
1608770698_bc1ebc9f1e.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I'm increasingly tempted, Bob... I think though it'll be only for the occasional shave when I have loads of time to get ready to go out. I don't think i have the time on a work day morning to lather up between passes and all that. I'm liking the look of those adjustable Merkurs.... any particular model you'd recommend I look into when I have a bit of pocket money to spare?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
I'm increasingly tempted, Bob... I think though it'll be only for the occasional shave when I have loads of time to get ready to go out. I don't think i have the time on a work day morning to lather up between passes and all that. I'm liking the look of those adjustable Merkurs.... any particular model you'd recommend I look into when I have a bit of pocket money to spare?

I'm not sure why you think a safety razor will be any more time consuming than a multi-razor plastic thingy. It's a matter of preference and habit. I can shave quick, or I can shave slow depending on my mood or how fast I have to get out the door. When I want real close and don't mind taking the time I'll use a straight razor; when I want a perfect, super-close shave and have even more time I'll go to Gus, my barber. Different, ahem, strokes for different folks.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Edward said:

Edward:The Merkur Progress is one of my favorite razors. I've never had a desire to buy a Merkur Futur or Vision..
I was using a cheap Everlast boarhair brush and Williams shaving soap for over 20 years, long before I switched back to DE razor.

Weston

A-List Customer
I inherited my grandfather's entire shaving kit, and have been nervously eyeing the DE. What have you to say on whether or not this will become a blood bath to the inexperienced? I don't want to use the vintage blades he had, as I'm not quite sure if they would be servicable (he died in 1964!). However, if convinced I won't pass out from blood loss, I may try that "Bed Bath and Beyond" that people say you can get the razors from.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Edward...

Edward said:
Is it a terrible sin to consider trying out an old style safety razor along with the modern goop in a can type stuff to begin with? ;)

I'm not going to give up my Fusion any time soon, but you've all got me jonesing for something retro now (darn and blast this place...... it's turning out as expensive as that guitar board did! :eek: ). :rolleyes:

...I think you might want to consider it the other way around. Keep your current razor and get a decent badger brush and some great soaps.

What some folks call "Gourmet Shaving" isn't just razors. You are in great luck because some of the best brushes, soaps and aftershaves are made in the UK. While you can pay a lot for a brush, you can also get a very good badger (yes you want badger) for an affordable price. As for the cremes and aftershaves, they are a bit more than the regular stuff, but are in well within the realm of "affordable luxury."

You will come to enjoy your shave, and you can always move to a different razor later.

Otium

New in Town
Not Difficult at all

Weston said:
I inherited my grandfather's entire shaving kit, and have been nervously eyeing the DE. What have you to say on whether or not this will become a blood bath to the inexperienced? I don't want to use the vintage blades he had, as I'm not quite sure if they would be servicable (he died in 1964!). However, if convinced I won't pass out from blood loss, I may try that "Bed Bath and Beyond" that people say you can get the razors from.

Don't fret it at all. Just because I don't use my grandfather's old set much doesn't mean I don't like to. Use a light hand and go easy and you might get a small nick or two, but nothing like you fear. Get some good blades, take a shower to soften the beard, lather up (not from a can), and shave away. You might nick yourself but a styptic stick will take care of that quickly enough. The only real risk is that most people use too much pressure with modern razors and try to do that with the old ones with disastrous results. Nice and easy and you'll be fine.

Just try it when you have a little more time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana