Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AAF Decal on an A-2

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Does anybody have one and do they regret putting it on or not? I ordered a RW 27752 from John (I pray my last A-2) and requested the decal for a little splash of color and also because I wanted people to know the A-2 was a U.S. military jacket. Curious about anyone's thoughts on the subject. Specifically, do you feel the decal inhibited you from wearing it as a civilian jacket? Or maybe you think it looks cool. Just wondering. Thank you.

I have the AAF winged roundel on a couple of my repro A2s..but not the decal. One is handpainted..the other is a leather patch. Also a billion AAF roundel on my original Aero A2. I do think that they look cool and add a little something special whether decal or patch.
The decal wasn't used until toward the end of the war,usually when depot refurbished.
HD

D

Deleted member 16736

I have the AAF winged roundel on a couple of my repro A2s..but not the decal. One is handpainted..the other is a leather patch. Also a billion AAF roundel on my original Aero A2. I do think that they look cool and add a little something special whether decal or patch.
The decal wasn't used until toward the end of the war,usually when depot refurbished.
HD

Interesting. What did they put on the sleeve before that?

Edward

Bartender
Both my A2s, bought used, have it on them - an ELC Roughwear and an Aero goat (I think based on a 42 pattern contract if I remember rightly). Also have the roundel and "US Air Force" on my B15s. I'm not much bothered either way, tbh - my interest is not in the military but in the flying jackets in and of themselves. It does mean I might think twice about where (geographically) I'd wear the jackets, given they might be assumed by locals in some places to indicate a particular political leaning in reference to contemporary conflicts - basic self-preservation and a bit of cultural sensitivity. Otherwise, it's a non issue broadly, though I would say that to my eye an A2 does look significantly more casual with the transfer or indeed any sort of markings on it. That may or may not matter to you.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I've always liked the look of the decal on the jacket. When the War Dept started issuing the B-10 and B-15 jackets most had them affixed when the quartermaster handed them out. The late war flight suits had them as well. Sometimes as a white outline.
The only reason that I haven't applied one is that I've yet to find a photo in theatre with one. HD is correct that they were put on after the jackets had been refurbished and re-issued. I've only found those jackets in photos dating very late or post war, and all in CONUS (continental U.S.)
There were many fliers especially in Italy that had leather or the bullion ones made by locals. Quite striking they can be!

tater

New in Town
One, I live here in the US, so my chances of coming across a vet who earned their badge is higher than if I lived elsewhere in the world.

Regarding the question, I wondered about this before I got my GW (Aero 42-18775-P russet). I decided against it, but then again I only have the one A-2... erm, two, I guess. Needs explaining.

Before I got the GW, I was given an Avirex (many years ago) that was in fact a size too big for me by my friend's dad, who was a B-24 pilot. He had bought the jacket at some point, maybe the early 80s, and stuck an 8th AF patch (a cheap, embroidered patch) on the left shoulder. It wasn't fitting him anymore, and he gave it to me. It fit (and fits) me like a baggy mall jacket (probably because it is ;) ). I can wear hand-knit (thick) sweaters under it, no problem. Regardless, of the size, I thought it was OK at the time, particularly given how I got it, but I almost never wore it because of the patch. I felt (and would feel) self-conscious wearing it. I could (and did a couple times when asked) explain it was a gift from a family friend who flew in ww2, but it was just too odd for me... like wearing a costume. Clearly this is a personal preference issue, but that's how I felt about it. We have a base here, and loads of active duty pilots around, that might well inform my feelings about this.

That said I actually really like the way they look, heck, I like painted/patched real (ww2) jackets as well. I'd just feel odd wearing one around town, least here.

D

Deleted member 16736

Both my A2s, bought used, have it on them - an ELC Roughwear and an Aero goat (I think based on a 42 pattern contract if I remember rightly). Also have the roundel and "US Air Force" on my B15s. I'm not much bothered either way, tbh - my interest is not in the military but in the flying jackets in and of themselves. It does mean I might think twice about where (geographically) I'd wear the jackets, given they might be assumed by locals in some places to indicate a particular political leaning in reference to contemporary conflicts - basic self-preservation and a bit of cultural sensitivity. Otherwise, it's a non issue broadly, though I would say that to my eye an A2 does look significantly more casual with the transfer or indeed any sort of markings on it. That may or may not matter to you.

I travel a lot to Europe. Will it really be an issue?

Since my RW is a late-war contract, the patch won't be out of place.

Last edited by a moderator:

archbury918

One of the Regulars
The patches and painted work was a personal adornment put on by the fliers themselves. There are uncounted examples of these and are truly a matter of taste.
I believe the original intent of the thread was the authenticity of using the AAF "wing and star" decal on the jacket.
M
if it's a question of wearing an article of American military clothing,even the "bad guys" wear our stuff!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I travel a lot to Europe. Will it really be an issue?

Since my RW is a late-war contract, the patch won't be out of place.

Nah, I shouldn't think so these days in Europe - especially not the WW2 era "Army Air Corps" legend, which most people won't even recognise as US. I was thinking more Middle East.... or, indeed, in some cases (jackets with blood chits featuring the Chinese Nationalist flag) China and further afield.

Well..in my case...I don't have any concern about what other countries might think about American military insignia. I'm quite proud of what it stands for..no matter what anyone thinks...but that's me. I don't hide..or feel ashamed about being an American either.
HD

Last edited:
Well..in my case...I don't have any concern about what other countries might think about American military insignia. I'm quite proud of what it stands for..no matter what anyone thinks...but that's me. I don't hide..or feel ashamed about being an American either.
HD

Careful Van, The Pres might have to apologize for you! lol

tater

New in Town
I'd actually have no problem wearing it in the ETO. Here in the states it's more a feeling of not having earned it. I could do it if it was granddad's jacket, or even in memory of a relative (none of mine were in the AAF, I'd have to get a tanker jacket for that and chuck a 3d Army insig on it ;) ). Again, that's just me, it's historic, and it looks cool---and you have more than one jacket. That would flavor my decision as well, as I wasn't thinking in terms of buying multiple GW jackets (though now I'm thinking of one with a USN stencil on back, lol).

I'd actually have no problem wearing it in the ETO. Here in the states it's more a feeling of not having earned it. I could do it if it was granddad's jacket, or even in memory of a relative (none of mine were in the AAF, I'd have to get a tanker jacket for that and chuck a 3d Army insig on it ;) ). Again, that's just me, it's historic, and it looks cool---and you have more than one jacket. That would flavor my decision as well, as I wasn't thinking in terms of buying multiple GW jackets (though now I'm thinking of one with a USN stencil on back, lol).

I think anyone would recognize that most of us didn't 'earn' it..simply by not looking old enough. I also would think that most realise that the jacket and military insignia is simply being worn in tribute to those past heros and their era. There are always those just waiting to find offense about something/anything,tho...and then there are those that are sadly sensative to any offense that might be offered. I see no difference of honoring a relative...or the average flyboy..his squadron..bomber group..or theater. They came up with some pretty neat patches..that had much meaning behind them..and should be proudly displayed ..in my view. Honoring what they were very proud of shouldn't require any guilt...as I see it.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I have applied the MASH decals myself. Using the kit from MASH Japan. Its not hard. The kit is 5,500 yen. Includes 3 decals. This is on my ELC 27752

http://www.mash-japan.co.jp/oversea/eng_moc/collection/aaf_decal_wet/index_eng.html

P1030312Medium.jpg
P1030313Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I see them all over eBay too. Don't know what the quality is like, but they're readily available. Not tried puttingbone on myself... nevrr had the motivation... But I'm sure it's not hard.

D

Deleted member 16736

HD

Ditto. Wasn't implying anything else.

D

Deleted member 16736

Actually, it'll be my only jacket. I may add a Cal-Leather motorcycle jacket in horsehide if I can get the money together, but as of now, it'll just be me and my Roughwear. (My Dubow was sold to a fellow lounger.)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I personally prefer repro a2s without decal (or really patch for that matter). If I were you, I'd get the RW without it. It's easier to add it than it is to remove it ;) especially if you don't have more than two a2s. Less is best, especially in leather jackets IMO.

Btw just slapped down deposit with JC and feeling on top of the world!! (38 Aero or Dubow 27798 in seal w/purple knits??)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn