Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accents, whats your Favourite?????

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
I like really poorly done, bad, movie accents...

Kevin Costner as Robin Hood

Borat

The french girl in "Better Off Dead"

Drew Barrymore in "Ever After"

Sean Connery speaking "Russian" :D

but for serious, my wife and I are always quite taken by all the little English sounding tykes in various and sundry motion pictures. Very proper and well spoken, they are, currently my 'merican speaking kids are stomping on each other ala professional "wrestling"....lol

makes me wish my monsters were english..........

dv

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
But folks, folks ...

There are many different types of Southern accents. Do you like them all? Can you even decipher them all? lol

You couldn't be more right. I've had to explain this to some non Southerners. Well there are 3 broad types of Southern accents, which are as follows:

1. Country
2. Redneck (not the same as country)
3. Southern

Country changes from region to region for sure, but mostly it's just not as smooth as the Southern Belle accent most think of. It is not the same, however, as the redneck accent. The redneck accent is somewhat uncomprehensible and is usually mixed with ignorant sentences. There are different kinds of redneck accents, you can tell the difference between a Georgian redneck and a North or South Carolinian accent. And there's also a difference between the mountain redneck accent (often referred to as hilbilly) and just any old redneck accent.

Then there's the Southern accent. Those are the sweet, smooth accents I think y'all are thinking of. And they change too, depending on where you're from. My favorite is the Charlestonian accent, but there's also a nice Georgia Southern accent.

Ok that was long, but I had to inform!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
But folks, folks ...

There are many different types of Southern accents. Do you like them all? Can you even decipher them all? lol

I like the kind where I can understand what he's saying and he uses the word "darlin'."

However, I've already said too much, since my boyfriend is from Pittsburgh.:eek:

-Viola

Miss Lucy June said:
You couldn't be more right. I've had to explain this to some non Southerners. Well there are 3 broad types of Southern accents, which are as follows:

1. Country
2. Redneck (not the same as country)
3. Southern

Ok that was long, but I had to inform!

True, but I'd say that #1 and #3, both from between feminine lips, are a toss-up for the best.;)

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Unfortunatly, being from Georgia and then living in Wisconsin then moving back to Georgia.... I can not take a grown man serously if he has a deep Georgian southern accent. I kinda have to giggle. Espeacially if it's a cop. I get in trouble because of that. They try to sound athortive and you cant with that accent. I dont want to offend anyone but I cant help it.

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
And then there are Louisiana's Cajun and Creole accents, which are worlds unto themselves ...

True, and Alabama. I <3 the South.

To quote Rodney Atkins, a country singer:

"That's what I love about the South, if you need a Dixie fix, just a c'mon down. Southern Belles with a drawl make you stop and drop your jaw"

Barry

Practically Family
I was looking up some examples of accents in Virginia and came across a website. I thought some of you might like to see it.

"The International Dialects of English Archive, IDEA, was created in 1997 as a repository of primary source recordings for actors and other artists in the performing arts."

http://web.ku.edu/idea/index.htm

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
Barry said:
I was looking up some examples of accents in Virginia and came across a website. I thought some of you might like to see it.

"The International Dialects of English Archive, IDEA, was created in 1997 as a repository of primary source recordings for actors and other artists in the performing arts."

http://web.ku.edu/idea/index.htm

That website is AWESOME! Neat. I have to say though Coastal Carolina sounds a lot different then those listed, more like Savannah, GA. Thanks for the link!

koopkooper

Practically Family
One of the funniest things I have ever heard was hearing the chinese accent whilst in Sweden at a fish and chip shop run by a Chinese couple.
It sounded so funny to hear the same accent I've heard in English applied to Swedish, I had to walk out the store to compose myself for a minute.

The great thing is that I realized I could get a giggle in every country in the world simply by visiting a Chinese run fish and chip shop.

Barry

Practically Family
Miss Lucy June said:
That website is AWESOME! Neat. I have to say though Coastal Carolina sounds a lot different then those listed, more like Savannah, GA. Thanks for the link!

You are welcome. I was hoping to find the Tidewater accent but I didn't see it listed. I have a bit of that still but I moved when I was a kid and I lost most of it. I still call Norfolk "Nawfuk" and my Aunt is my "Auhnt," though.

Barry

Roaring Days

Familiar Face
...dont get me wrong, I love our Aussie girls the best, if you have ever had the experience of hearing 'getyagearofnletsshaginthebackofmeute' at a B&S Ball you will know what I mean....

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Roaring Days said:
...dont get me wrong, I love our Aussie girls the best, if you have ever had the experience of hearing 'getyagearofnletsshaginthebackofmeute' at a B&S Ball you will know what I mean....

THAT'S THE BEST WORD EVER!!!!!:eusa_clap

Cobden

Practically Family
Some Scottish Accents can sound quite nice on women, as can subtle Aussie accents. But what I really like are the soft, Russian accents...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner