Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accents, whats your Favourite?????

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
I think I have a total non accent, which comes from having grown up in Southern California ... but far enough from the beaches to have avoided contracting a "surfer dude" accent.

Like many of us in the midwest. We got that white-bread non-accent that the evening news casters have. It's supposedly the easiest to understand.
I like the Irish lilt myself, or an American southern drawl. Canadian is cool too,....eh?

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
As a Rhode Islander I might be a bit biased, but I quite enjoy the typical RI/south eastern Mass. accent. It's fun pronouncing "r"s where there are none, and leaving them off the ends of words.:p

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I love all sorts of accents!

I must say I am rather partial to German and Scottish. Though, I was very enamoured of the accent of a fellow from South Africa I once met.

You wouldn't think there was so much a link between the ear and the heart, but a nice accent can cause hearts to flutter as quickly as sweet words.. ;)

Brooksie

One Too Many
Joie DeVive said:
I love all sorts of accents!

I must say I am rather partial to German and Scottish. Though, I was very enamoured of the accent of a fellow from South Africa I once met.

You wouldn't think there was so much a link between the ear and the heart, but a nice accent can cause hearts to flutter as quickly as sweet words.. ;)

Hmmm we must have met the same South African fellow because he had this effect on me also.

One of my best friends is from South Africa and I love her accent.

Brooksie

52Styleline

A-List Customer
I like to listen to a woman with a "posh" British Accent. Cultured, almost old BBC in nature but short of the toffee nosed superior sort. I don't know if I am describing it well, but a lot of the women in the old English movies speak in this style. Here in the Pacific NW, we natives are pretty much absent an accent. But there are plenty of folks here from other locales so I hear lots of them in my daily travels.

SappySwami

Familiar Face
Irish. Particularly after I spent 2 weeks in Ireland and got used to it. Also, I once used an Irish accent for a speech I gave. It was terrible because I didn't have any Guinness. [huh]

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Like many of us in the midwest. We got that white-bread non-accent that the evening news casters have. It's supposedly the easiest to understand.
I like the Irish lilt myself, or an American southern drawl. Canadian is cool too,....eh?

Well sadly Mr. Danger, most of us have non-accents as well:( but if I'm ever at a lounge event I'll speak Canadian just for you;)

Roaring Days

Familiar Face
CanadaDoll said:
Well sadly Mr. Danger, most of us have non-accents as well:( but if I'm ever at a lounge event I'll speak Canadian just for you;)

I wonder if I heard you speak that you would have a non accent to me, bieng an Aussie, I should be able to pick you as a North American at least, that is if you are not a French Canadian....

Rafter

Suspended
I love a Highland Scottish accent. Actually Scottish accents in general, although people from Glasgow are pretty unintelligible to my tin ear.

The best accent I've ever heard belonged to my former girlfriend -- she was Danish, but her English teacher in primary school was a Dubliner. Holy cow, that was a sexy melange!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Roaring Days said:
I wonder if I heard you speak that you would have a non accent to me, bieng an Aussie, I should be able to pick you as a North American at least, that is if you are not a French Canadian....

In such a case, I'd say I most likely would have an accent to your ear, and you would to mine, but in terms of North America, I've only ever had an accent to someone from the south[huh] lol
I'm not French Canadian so that won't throw you any curveballslol

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
A Norwegian accent (especially northern) does it for me ;) And the Czech accent can be very sexy to my ears.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Northern Irish accents...

I just melt at the sound of a smooth, mild Southern Belle accent, makes me want to go into Rhett Butler mode all over again!!. Also original Spanish or Italian accents when speaking English is a nice blend (like a fine coffee bean!!:) )

I have a mild Northern Irish accent (My mother is from North Wales, the Welsh speaking mountains, so that 'maybe' rubs off too) that some people often mistake for Scottish (even some Scottish people have told me it's like some of the Western Isle accents [huh] ).

PaddyMatt-1.jpg

I know when I hosted the Fedora Lounge London Dinner in January, there was some fun had when Matt Deckard and Elizabeth (Classic Style Editor) teased me 'in a really nice and fun way' with my pronounciation of 'some' words like...

Down
Town
Now
Cow
How
!!!!

But every so often, :eek: someone will actually say; "I could just listen to that voice for ever, I just love your accent!!:eek: "

Although I dread to think how my Spanish comes across in Spain, as I probably speak with an Irish accent!!!lol But I always get smiles!![huh]

Again, at the FL Dinner in London, I find that MK's accent from NW USA (Washington State) is really mild and easy to listen to. And Elizabeths ( I think she is from Santa Rosa area in Ca. ) was just so easy and soft on the ear that I could listen to it forever!!
Matt had a steady, easy diction and was kind on the ear too! (His is West Coast).

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Everyone has an accent to somebody.

In my daily speech I have a light Yooper accent, though I try to be more precise in grammar and vocabulary. I can't hear it, but my wife, who's from Colorado, sure can.

I think my favorite accent is Highland Scots. I had to work on it for reenactment, and I have fooled people who've spent time in the highlands that I'm a Scot. I don't think I could fool a native, though.

I also had to develop a Southern accent when I played Beau in "Auntie Mame," and I was told by a Tennesseean that I've got a perfect Georgia accent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner