Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adam Executive questions...

Cliffhanger

New in Town
Check out what I just got from eBay: Click here

7e_1_b.JPG

This is my first real vintage hat. I have a Royal Stetson that looked okay in the pic, yet is totally beyond anything in real life.

I know Adam was a reputable New York hatter, but does anyone have more info about them? I think BDJ has a gray Adam like this one. It is very lightweight with no liner, and on the sweatband (of which some of the stitching has come loose) is says, "Cushioned for Comfort". Very neat and quite comfortable to wear.

I will get more pics of it in the future.

Peace,
Cliffhanger

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great Job!

You have a BEAUTIFUL hat there! Adam made a good quality hat...I don't know their history, check with ART.

This is a PERFECT example of a GREAT Ebay purchase. If this hat is clean, no moth bites, and smells, it is the bargain of the month!!

What a score.

Congrats!

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Yup, I have one. Actually, I have two, but I know the one you are referring to. Joe Jr. dated mine back to the mid 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. I agree with you on the comfort level of the hat. The sweatband is the most comfortable and pliable I have seen. The liner in mine has yellowed a bit over the years, but other than that, it is in great shape. The sweatband on mine is light tan and has imprinted on it:
Adam Executive
PLIANT-EZE*Cushioned for head comfort*T.M. Reg.
A Product of Adam America's Famous Hatter.

Under the sweatband is a green tag that reads:
Adam Executive $7.50 665 Broadway N.Y.C.
To Duplicate - JW Strand SE
7 1/8

The other hat is a different style. It has a 2 1/2" brim (bound) and a 4 1/4" crown in the front and 3 7/8" crown in the back with a C dent. The ribbon has a different bow. I would describe it as a folder bow. It has four folds 1/2?¢‚Ǩ? long and one 1?¢‚Ǩ? long towards the back. The liner and sweatband are immaculate. I seriously doubt if this hat has even been worn. I know I've only worn it once just to try it on. The liner and sweatband on this are different. The sweatband is darker and the design on the liner is a little different. The sweatband on this one has:
ADAM - First Name In Hats
Cushioned for Head Comfort
Executive Quality
Aqua Shed Treated for Water Repellency

Under the sweatband reads:
TP362 | PACESETTER P12 BLUESTEEL

This one even has the union label under there. I showed it to Joe Jr. in September and got a little bit of information on the company. If I remember correctly, they made hats under the Adam name until about the mid/late 50's. After that, they changed to Adams (note the added "S") then were bought by another company (I think). They once only made hats in New York, but then opened other factories in other large cities including Dallas. In fact, the old Adam hat factory is still up in Dallas along with the sign. (Hmmmm . . . . I wonder if there is any old hat making equipment in there). I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m not sure on all these facts, but I think I am close.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I saw that hat and seriously considered bidding on it, but then I thought, what am I going to do with another gray hat?? A guy has to stop sometime. Unless you're Havershaw that is. Sorry, had to throw that in there my hat loving friend. I'm glad someone here got it at a steal of a price.

fedoralover

havershaw

Practically Family
fedoralover, I keep telling myself that over and over again...

the big thing is that I still don't have an Adam, or a decent Dobbs, or a MacLaughlin. Or a HJ. That's kind of what keeps me bidding...so I can give 'em all a try. To think...at the beginning of December, I had six hats...!

The Adam hat factory is still standing in Dallas, eh? Whereabouts, exactly...?

That's a real beauty you have there, and you got it a fantastic price. Congratulations! Wear it in good health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy