Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero A-2 'Unknown Maker' 1756 contract

wdw

One Too Many
Very nice Sloan, and a great fit. I'm tempted by an A-2, but don't have a clue where to start.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Aero have quite a few in the factory, so it's a good place to start in terms of try-on (or even risk-free purchase). I went through a few and worked out what sort of fit I wanted and took measurements from there.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I previously thought one had to have a neck like a giraffe to wear an A-2 with a collar stand, although your pics seem to illustrate you're able to tolerate it reasonably well. Not saying you have a neck like a giraffe. :D I generally unsnap my collars and rarely zip up my A-2's past the sternum.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The collar stand's not a problem - though I think if it was done in FQHH, it might be a bit uncomfortable. I've only ever done my russet A-2 up to the neck if I'm caught out in the cold. That said, I tend to keep the collar snaps clicked, and I think that set-up will suit this jacket. And no, I don't have a neck like a giraffe. Maybe a llama :llama:... ;)

Last edited:

AdeeC

Practically Family
I am of the the bull neck type and find little difference between colar stand and no colar stand for comfort. I tend to wear mine unsnapped for this reason with no problems. Can't even find a shirt that I can button up unless custom made.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Beautiful A2, make me almost be over of my knit cuffs dislike.
But I must resist I just got a new jacket, I can't order a new so soon!

Anyway, Sloan, congrats! Wear it in good health!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@Blackadder: it's one of the slimmer A-2 contracts, a bit like the Aero 38 contract, though the body tapers a bit more towards the bottom. It also has a collar stand - a feature that has led a lot of people to believe it was made by Perry, who kept this feature in all of their jackets - and the collar ends are much more rounded than other contracts.

@stand-by: the caramel knits really set off the leather, I'm glad I went with them over the plain brown ones. I'm not sure about the 532nd bomber patch, though. There seems to be a common practice among squadrons to have slightly cartoonish characters - Donald Duck riding a bomb anyone? - which I'm not keen on. Och, the thing's gorgeous, I'm just going to enjoy it. Fit pics shortly!

Thank you. It looks really nice. Good choice on the leather as well.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I am of the the bull neck type and find little difference between colar stand and no colar stand for comfort. I tend to wear mine unsnapped for this reason with no problems. Can't even find a shirt that I can button up unless custom made.

Ahh, I agree with you on that.
I'm not svelte like Sloan. I wear a 42 contract Aero- much looser fit and no collar stand. I always wear my collar unsnapped too, but that might be me subconsciously channelling Steve McQueen.

devilish

A-List Customer
That is a nice looking A-2 Sloan and I much prefer the 'collar stand' contracts but unsnap that thing and beat it up a bit. I have hardly ever seen any period photos of pilots or crew with their collars snapped. It looks so stiff and uncomfortable. But hey vive la difference!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The 1756 contract was awarded to Perry Sportwear on 13th June 1944. The contract was for 25,000 A2s as replacements to existing USAAF personnel. The repro Conmar Zipper is a nice touch and the leather should develop real character over time. The lighter knits remind me of early Werbers rather than late War A2s.

Brettafett

One Too Many
I like the look of this jacket. Would be interested to see pics of the collar laid flat. Good fit!

Edward

Bartender
Ahh, I agree with you on that.
I'm not svelte like Sloan. I wear a 42 contract Aero- much looser fit and no collar stand. I always wear my collar unsnapped too, but that might be me subconsciously channelling Steve McQueen.

Uhm...... is there really any reason for the A2's cool factor other than "because Steve Macqueen"? I've never needed one :lol: I don't stud em down either. 42 contract as well.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, gents.

@Andrew, the Conmar is an actually original I'd sourced and Aero put on for me, though they also do their own repro. Ken advised me that all the original 1756s that he'd handled had caramel knits, though I would have gone with them no matter what as they sit so well with the leather.

@Devilish, personally, I like the collars snapped and then let them develop character that way, but I've got to say I've seen a good number of both and they look good either way. [huh]

@Brett, I'll htw-ing it shortly to give it some more shape, but here's the collar spread:

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Uhm...... is there really any reason for the A2's cool factor other than "because Steve Macqueen"? I've never needed one :lol: I don't stud em down either. 42 contract as well.

It's just a matter of time until you'll all be saying 'because Big J'. Oh yeah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL