Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Board Racer Ancestors?

pipvh

Practically Family
Here's a question for Dinerman and the other historians: Aero are calling their Board Racer a classic 1930s design, but when did the 'cafe racer' design first appear? By which I mean the mandarin collar, central zipper form we're all familiar with. I've seen the Lewis Leathers International Racer but that's double-breasted (and designed to be part of a suit). Are there any classic cafe racers that actually date from the 1930s?

Asking because I'm seriously considering a Board Racer (such a purist's design, and the collar looks right for non-bike wear) or - it's a long shot - a Himel Bros Kensington, and I'm curious from a history point of view...

Plumbline

One Too Many
I was always led to believe that the advent of the Boco J-100 started the trend for mandarin collared neat fitting M/C jackets ... Cafe Racers ... in the 1950's. There were many collar-less jackets which preceeded it .... and I'm sure I've seen a few early M/C jackets which had combined W / mandarin collars but most had lancer style zippers.

Board Racing was at it's peak in the 1910's and 20's before the advent of the zipper .. it was on the wane by the 1930's but most of the pics ( albeit not all ) had these guys racing in woolen team sweaters ( weight was more paramount than protection) indeed leather pads and breeches were prevailant but jackets or jerkins were less common from wha I've seen. If leather jackets were worn it is unlikely that they were specifically designed and rather bought off the shelf ( so to speak) .. .these were the days before full face helmets and kevlar. I have not seen any with a mandarin collar.

It's a really simple and neat styled jacket though ( although it looks more 50's if I'm honest) .... one of the new ones I like :D

Just MHO ..

Last edited:

pipvh

Practically Family
I was always led to believe that the advent of the Boco J-100 started the trend for mandarin collared neat fitting M/C jackets ... Cafe Racers ... in the 1950's. There were many collar-less jackets which preceeded it .... and I'm sure I've seen a few early M/C jackets which had combined W / mandarin collars but most had lancer style zippers.

Yes, that's my understanding as well. Though come to think of it, there were some very simple jerkin-style, button-up collarless jackets in the 1910s and early 20s.

Board Racing was at it's peak in the 1910's and 20's before the advent of the zipper .. it was on the wane by the 1930's but most of the pics ( albeit not all ) had these guys racing in woolen team sweaters ( weight was more paramount than protection) indeed leather pads and breeches were prevailant but jackets or jerkins were less common from wha I've seen.

You can see leathers being worn in old photos of Brooklands and the Isle of Man TT, for instance, but they always seem to be the lancer-style ones. I love the old racing sweaters but if you read accounts of the accidents on those board tracks, you can't help wondering whether they should have insisted on something a bit more substantial than a wooly pully.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Most of the center-zip mandarin collar jackets of the 1930s that I've seen look more like this:
I realise I'm probably using the term Cafe Racer incorrectly, but here I'm using the term to refer to leather jackets with short stand collars. These have all come from London vintage shops over the last 4 years and cost peanuts; total under £100. There is another (included in the £100 total) that I'll photograph tonight. The first one is Canadian. The deer one is almost certainly Canadian. The black one I have to photograph is also Canadian.

1930s/early 1940s. Lining has been replaced; the remnants of the original plaid liner are in the seams. The top pocket originally had a zipper - no doubt ball and chain-type - which i will replace when I replace the acetate replacement liner with the correct plaid wool.

BrownCafe1.jpg

BrownCafe2.jpg

BrownCafe3.jpg

1940s. All zippers replacements.

DeerCafe1.jpg

DeerCafe2.jpg

Lilac leather inserts in the pleats at the rear belt. the same leather in inserted into the pleats at the front waistband top.

DeerCafe3.jpg

Late 1940s. American. Now in the possession of Benstephens

BrownCafe4.jpg

BrownCafe5.jpg

BrownCafe6.jpg

pipvh

Practically Family
Thanks for that, Dinerman! I knew you'd have something!

So pre-Buco, we're looking at a sort of cafe-halfbelt prototype?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I don't know how much Buco had to do with actually designing the style. They just have brand recognition so they get name dropped. As an aside - Joeseph Buegeleisen didn't start his company until the end of the '30s, and at that point was selling mostly motorcycle accessories.
The style of the jacket above is more of a late '40s-1960s thing- the evolution of the 1930s racing shirts, rather than a repro of one.

That said, the mandarin collar and throat latch do go way way back. Here's an example from 1932, courtesy Baron Kurtz
193201.jpg

pipvh

Practically Family
I suppose this is an early incarnation, with buttons: img143.jpg
Bert LeVack, Brooklands 1922 (courtesy of The Vintagent)

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Board Racing was at it's peak in the 1910's and 20's before the advent of the zipper .. it was on the wane by the 1930's but most of the pics ( albeit not all ) had these guys racing in woolen team sweaters ( weight was more paramount than protection)

I always thought the board track racers looked amazing. While researching the sport, I noticed that they did indeed wear very stylish woolen sweaters. These were common among hill climbers as well. Naturally I found one and it has become my regular motorcycle attire. As far as leather goes, I have been saving up for Magnoli's Hughes Jacket.

20131028_1329021.jpg
20140523_181808.jpg
20140523_182751.jpg

Last edited:

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
I always thought the board track racers looked amazing. While researching the sport, I noticed that they did indeed wear very stylish woolen sweaters. These were common among hill climbers as well. Naturally I found one and it has become my regular motorcycle attire. As far as leather goes, I have been saving up for Magnoli's Hughes Jacket.

View attachment 14137

I picked up a similar wool sweater from Dehen recently, a little more subdued than yours though ;) Very nice, super thick, and top quality - no pics to share yet, sorry :(

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Almost all of them wore sweaters. I was told, at one time, even the Harley hog had his own little sweater!
boardtrack1_zps258a4e3b.jpg
boardtrack3_zps8d83c69a.jpg
boardtrack4_zps237a744e.jpg
BoardTrack10_zps9c1d2f91.jpg
boardtrack2_zpsb1c9d0f5.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That's bonkers: "Hmmm, the track looks particularly slippery today. Think I'll put my extra thick sweater. That should do it..."

Edward

Bartender
That's bonkers: "Hmmm, the track looks particularly slippery today. Think I'll put my extra thick sweater. That should do it..."

I'm guessing in part it was the development of bigger, faster bikes that stimulatd the market for more protective gear, but yeah.... seems mad!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I suppose scooter owners can zip around with just helmets on, but you've got to imagine the board track racers had a bit more poke, especially when you think that they were the forerunner to dirt track racing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy