Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman v Long Half Belt

Drax

New in Town
Hi everyone

Been lurking around on here for some time but now I'd like to ask for some advice please. (Having the usual "Have I ordered the right jacket" moment.)

Currently I own a Black Anniversary Heavy Steerhide Highwayman in 42L which I've had for several years & is beautifully broken in. However. I've lost some weight & as much as I love the jacket it's got to go as it's too big.
I'm 6.1" 79kg & built like a racing snake.

So using my jacket as PX I've ordered:
40" Highwayman (Tapered to 38")
Tumbled Brown FQHH (but might change to brown steerhide as it looks awesome)
Back 26.5" (may go to 27" as I prefer a longer jacket)
Sleeves 26" ( may go to 27" + will explain why)

On the Aero used website last week saw a Teamster that seemed to tick all the boxes fro my size.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=2362

So, I bought it but it was too tight across the shoulders with a thin fleece & the sleeves at 26" were slightly too short. I also didn't like the button front. I thought that the Teamster was a roomier fit similar to a Highwayman?
Unfortunately, I 've had to return it but it made me think about a longer jacket & the Long HB looks like a Highwayman front /sleeves with a Bi-Swing back which I really like the look of. Sounds the best of both worlds.

Does anybody own both jackets & could offer up an opinion of the pros & cons of each?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post & look forward to any advice or opinions.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As far as I know the LHB and Teamster are similar in fit. For a longer jacket I prefer buttons and love my Teamster. The HWM is a boxier fit and found I need to size down for a HWM. One of the well known members Sloan owns a LHB that hopefully will see this thread and comment.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've had my Aero LHB for three years and must say it's the finest leather jacket I've owned. I particularly like the 50's design, as it provides just enough room for a mid-thickness sweater without feeling restrained at all. I've noticed that other LHB owners here on the Lounge often refer to them as their "go-to" jackets. I also agree with you about the bi-swing back.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
When I first came to TFL, I read about Aero and headed over to their website. The Long Half Belt was the design that caught my eye. I was lucky to find a NWT version on eBay and it is, without a doubt, my go-to jacket. The length allows me to dress it up a bit, it has enough room for a nice sweater underneath and I can pull the tabs in a bit and it still looks pretty fitted. I have a GW Ventura that I love, but I can grab and go with my LHB easier than any other leather jacket I own.

zebedee

One Too Many
The LHB has a lot going for it. I own one in cordovan fqhh and it sees as much use as my Highwayman, if not more. The only issue with the Hwm is that it is a little short- I need to clinch mine in to stop cold breezes in the winter. The LHB is an ideal length; short enough to be casual, but long enough to stop draughts. I didn't want an action back to avoid possible billowing, but others know much more about this possible (non) issue than I. This isn't to dish dirt on the HWM- it is also a fantastic jacket- but the LHB should have been my 'intro' jacket as far as Aeros are concerned.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I have the LHB and the order is out for a Teamster. The LHB has a perfect length for me, better than the Pioneer, which is my summer-jacket. On large guys like me at 6ft4, the longer and relaxed cut of the LHB looks just perfect, mildly accentuating a masculine silhouette. I ordered the Teamster, which is essential the same cut as the LHB because of the different back and the missing of the flap-pockets. I like the cleaner design and the buttons will give it a classy touch, I think.

Drax

New in Town
Don that's exactly the information I was looking for.

I loved the fit of the Teamster (although tight on the shoulders but I am after a slimmer fitting jacket - may go back up a size to a 42?) & I like the design of the LHB - but I would prefer it without the external pockets - just the hand-warmer pockets. I guess I want a combination of both jackets.

Looking through various other posts, would I be correct in assuming that there isn't much leeway for customization of the jackets anymore - apart from the length/ lining / inner pockets etc?

Thanks to everybody for your replies. The quest continues.....will keep you all posted.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I have a LHB with Shearling liner and Mouton Collar in MWHH. Its a great jacket and incredibly warm.

I'm normally a 42" - 44" Aero ( with enough room for layering ) or a 40" Highwayman

My LHB is a 46" ( to accomodate the shearling ) with 1 1/2" short sleeves and 1" short body and it fits great .. the shearling lining is like having a D-1 on inside the LHB :)

I've had it 10 years or more and it's soft like a very soft thing and broken in amazingly ...... It's current;y my second oldest Aero :)

Drax

New in Town
Thanks Plumbline for the heads up on the sizing. I'm usually verging on a 42" chest in most things but it's my shoulders which are quite wide that cause the problems -and a 32-33" waist. Hence my problem with the HWM. I hope that they can taper it for me.

It looks good from the front but when you turn me sideways you have to squint to see me. :)

Will try & post some pics over the weekend to explain what I mean.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Keep the cargo pockets- without them, the LHB is too long and looks odd.

I really dislike the look of the cargo pocket flaps- they are unsightly. Actually there are many period long leathers that only have slash pockets. It's a legitimate look.

zebedee

One Too Many
it's all a matter of taste, but the cargo pockets on mine didn't bulge out and are very practical. I reckon the longer zip jackets look a bit empty without 'em.

Drax

New in Town
Hmmm! I've ended up where I started.

A question with answers that leave me right back where I started but with more information.

How good is that? F***in brilliant!

Thanks for all your replies & respect to the FL Forum!:)

pawineguy

One Too Many
For me, the pockets are a nice detail, not as prominent as you might think, and they are incredibly useful.

I like the pockets. With that said, I really like when jacket makers make them tuckable, giving you two possible looks. (even if they just offer that as an option)

P.S. I want that blanket! My motorcycle gang (tongue firmly planted in cheek) has a smoking skull as our symbol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner