Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

age-appropriate clothing

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
davestlouis said:
tomasso, sorry about the non-hat-wearing thing...
I was just kidding. ;) I'm sure that there are lots of folks around here that aren't interested in hats; they're probably in the majority.

davestlouis

Practically Family
good grief, it's not like you're going to hurt my feelings. As a practical matter, I like the idea of hats...all of the men who work outside at our funeral home parking cars wear some sort of dress hats to keep their heads warm, or during the summer, to keep the sun off their bald shiny domes...just doesn't work for "Mr potato head" as my kids call me.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
You know, looking at it from a "modern" perspective, I guess you can say that I dress well-over my own age. I'm only twenty, but I've been known to frequently wear dress shirts, slacks, polos, leather shoes, and even colored socks occasionally (earth tones or black). Of course, I wear jeans too, and pretty often at that (usually three or four times a week), but not without at least a polo, short sleeve button shirt, or dress shirt. I never wear t-shirts anymore as outerwear, as I feel... naked. Yep, I probably fit the profile of a lot of older folks, actually. Though there are some more in my generation doing the same thing; essentially ditching the t-shirts and baggies in favor of better fitting, and nicer clothing.

theinterchange

One Too Many
1*Cool*Kitten said:
But still, I will at least "dress it up a bit" & put on under garments!holy smokes!you wouldn't believe the train wreck tragidies out here!:D

Today, I was sitting in a bank parking lot waiting for someone to come out from making a deposit. As I sat there, I did my usual people watching... I now wish I had sat there with a blindfold on. A woman, probably in her 60's came by wearing some sort of VERY tight fitting workout clothes [she MAY have worked out when she was oh in high school] which were cut high and low in the wrong places... and no undergarments. :eek: If she had been 20, it would have been a hard look to pull of without looking trashy. But to quote Ralph Kramden

"You at your age should be ashamed of yourself!"

Thanks for giving me a flashback! :eek: :p lol

Randy

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
davestlouis said:
At the other end of the spectrum, senior citizens in dungarees always make me cringe.

Heck, out here in the Wild West, Cowboy Country if you will, blue jeans have always been worn by just about everyone. That means everyone from toddlers to centenarians. And for almost every occasion including school or church. Blue jeans were acceptable back in the fifties same as now. :)

Warbaby

One Too Many
There are a few vintage styles that I think just don't work on us older guys. Atomic fleck jackets and pretty much anything rockabilly looks silly on us because back in the day they were styles specifically for younger men. Same goes for Ricky jackets (though it's no loss to me because I thought they were tacky back in the 50s when they were a new thing and I can still only appreciate them as kitch - in the same way I can appreciate ceramic poodles and chartreuse freeform ashtrays (as long as they're in someone else's house). One vintage item that I love but can't wear and wish I could are Oxford bags, again because they were worn primarily by the collegiate crowd.

In general, I think that if you wear vintage clothes, they'll always look right on you if the style would have been appropriate on someone in your general age range back in the day.

I still wear jeans, but I'm pretty close to the same size I was when I was in my 20s, so jeans (Levis only, thank you) still fit me like they're supposed to.

Artie

Suspended
WideBrimm said:
Heck, out here in the Wild West, Cowboy Country if you will, blue jeans have always been worn by just about everyone. That means everyone from toddlers to centenarians. And for almost every occasion including school or church. Blue jeans were acceptable back in the fifties same as now. :)
Boy I would love to have a few pairs of those high waisted buckleback jeans. Now those I would wear. There's a lot of clothes that people on this forum don't particularly care for that were quite common back then because of what they've come to represent today, and I include myself in this group. I never wear jeans, or baseball caps.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
You know, looking at it from a "modern" perspective, I guess you can say that I dress well-over my own age. I'm only twenty, but I've been known to frequently wear dress shirts, slacks, polos, leather shoes, and even colored socks occasionally (earth tones or black). Of course, I wear jeans too, and pretty often at that (usually three or four times a week), but not without at least a polo, short sleeve button shirt, or dress shirt. I never wear t-shirts anymore as outerwear, as I feel... naked. Yep, I probably fit the profile of a lot of older folks, actually. Though there are some more in my generation doing the same thing; essentially ditching the t-shirts and baggies in favor of better fitting, and nicer clothing.
I'm on the same boat as you. I am twenty, and don't wear t-shirts ever. I almost never wear polos or short sleeve shirts, but that is mostly because they look kinda silly on me. I also almost always wear a vest or sweater to cover my shirtfront/waistline, and of course jackets, weather permitting. If I could get away with wearing a suit 6 days a week (dress down Saturday, unless I do something in the evening), I would.

Burton

One of the Regulars
I must say if I saw a younger person wearing vintage clothing and not really pulling it off and appearing in costume I would have mercy and recognize someone at least trying (and maybe failing) at achieving a style. I see a number of the photos of young folks on this website that to me fall into that category. But older people with spandex or trying to do the baggie thing is somewhat pathetic. I also see that at some point most people really aged don't care what they look like and neither do I.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
storman113 said:
What are Oxford bags? Maybe a pic!

193320oxford20bags.jpg

ht
oxford_suit.oxford_pants_1920_roaringtwenties_jazz_age.jpg

storman113

Familiar Face
BW

Thanks for the post.

WOW! Those are some biggg cuffs! I would think they would be dangerous to walk around in. Only a young swell could get away with wearing those!lol

Feraud

Bartender
bruce wayne said:
I agree, at least they are trying to have a sense of self-image.

Just to clarify a point.. young people wearing modern styles do have a sense of self-image. It may not be your (or my) aesthetic but it is as conscious a style choice as anyone here makes. And sometimes better.

storman113 said:
Thanks for the post.

WOW! Those are some biggg cuffs! I would think they would be dangerous to walk around in. Only a young swell could get away with wearing those!lol
I believe they originally served a utilitarian purpose. The wide leg facilitated wearing over sport clothes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner