Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's something amusing. I'm an avid video gamer, and while passing some time tailoring my Xbox Live avatar to somewhat resemble me, I found something called the "Hats Around the World" collection. It's also interesting to note that none of the other options are brands, simply poorly described categories of headgear like "American cowboy hat" and "bowler" or "bandito sombrero". Seems to me like further evidence of its iconic status. Australian for hat indeed. lol

To my surprise, the very first entry is an Akubra, what seems to be a Cattleman lol.

Xbox360AkubraAvatar2.jpg

Xbox360AkubraAvatar1.jpg

Last edited:

Stinkykid

New in Town
Welcome, Stinkykid! I too am follically- and melanin-challenged, so I wear a lot of hats. :) I like the venting on the Plainsman -- does it seem to make a difference, or is it mainly for decoration?

As far as I can tell the venting on the Plainsman is decorative and has little effect on cooling.

Duper

Practically Family
I was just browsing the Akubra website and I noticed a few new hat colours. The Traveller in the Lifestyle section now comes in bran. A nice compromise between the previous regency fawn and the sand shade. I guess they are expanding the colour selection as that is one of their top 10 sellers.

I may be wrong but the ever popular Stylemaster in their Fashion grouping now comes in loden and I don't recall that being offered before. I am willing to bet loden will appeal to a lot of folks here on the lounge if one of the retailers starts offering it.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Here’s a unique collectors item for Akubra fans!
Today was a breast cancer charity fundraiser at the cricket with pink being the colour of the day (hence my pink tie above)
The commentators, the charity founder (on the right) and our Prime Minister (centre) all sported these rather garish lids!

DA---cricket3_20120105105005919475-600x400.jpg

The men’s hats appeared to be pink Lightning Ridges while the women had something like the Ascot – sort of a female CEO.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I was just browsing the Akubra website and I noticed a few new hat colours. The Traveller in the Lifestyle section now comes in bran. A nice compromise between the previous regency fawn and the sand shade. I guess they are expanding the colour selection as that is one of their top 10 sellers.

I may be wrong but the ever popular Stylemaster in their Fashion grouping now comes in loden and I don't recall that being offered before. I am willing to bet loden will appeal to a lot of folks here on the lounge if one of the retailers starts offering it.

Check with Louise at John Helmer hats in Portland as they have offered the Stylemaster in what they call just Green which is what I would call a Loden Green. I got one last year from them and do like it. :)

garenb

New in Town
Michael, how do you like the Sydney? Is the color of the ribbon as close to the color of the hat as the photo implies?

Duper

Practically Family
Michael, how do you like the Sydney? Is the color of the ribbon as close to the color of the hat as the photo implies?

Michael, I am also curious if the colour is as dark a brown as it seems to display on my monitor. I was hoping the fawn colour would be somewhat lighter.

Thanks

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

I like mine alot. I have three of them and wear them dressed up as well as with jeans and boots. The Imperial grade felt they are made from is a smoother, lighter wieght than my other Imperial grade Akubra's. As for the ribbons on them, they are a good match to the felt color, not exact as the two materials display colors differently depending on the light they are seen in. All in all, they are nice contemporary (though Akubra has made this model since the '50s) Fedora without getting into the stingy area as many of todays "fedoras" do! Here's my Mid-Brown from John Helmer:

11-8-10011.jpg

Squatter1022.jpg

This is the same Mid-Brown as is my CD in my avatar. Agood solid Brown :)

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
I like mine alot. I have three of them and wear them dressed up as well as with jeans and boots. The Imperial grade felt they are made from is a smoother, lighter wieght than my other Imperial grade Akubra's. As for the ribbons on them, they are a good match to the felt color, not exact as the two materials display colors differently depending on the light they are seen in. All in all, they are nice contemporary (though Akubra has made this model since the '50s) Fedora without getting into the stingy area as many of todays "fedoras" do! Here's my Mid-Brown from John Helmer:

Squatter1022.jpg

This is the same Mid-Brown as is my CD in my avatar. Agood solid Brown :)

Hi monbla256, I think you are wearing a Stylemaster in the photo, not a Sydney. I am unsure if mid brown and regency fawn are the same colour. I have a CD in mid brown with a 2 1/2 inch brim and I find it is a very dark brown. I would like to get a Sydney, but I do not want another fedora in exactly the same colour with the same brim size.

Michael Plante, is the regency fawn a deep brown or more of a darker tan?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot