Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JDCrockett

New in Town
Cuvier said:
"or do I wait on the possibility of a CD in the right color showing up?"

I'm with you on the color choices for the Campdraft, I would like a Fawn or Taupe myself. Some suppliers show "Sand" with a tan brim binding some show a similar color body with silver or grey binding called "Silverbelly". Anyone have any idea about future availability of Fawn or Taupe?

JDCrockett

New in Town
By the way Cuvier, I'm also looking at the Pastoralist on Everything Austrailan"s site. It Would need to be rebashed to a center dent with a pinch for my tastes but that's possible only I'm not sure of the open crown height.

JDCrockett

New in Town
"Crown Height- ~ 92mm (measured from where low point on crown to base of the internal leather sweat band)"

Doesn't that sound like they are measuring inside from the lowest point of the telescope to the base of the leather sweatband? I'm trying to figure out if you push the telescope out if the crown would be 4 1/2 or 5" high.I have had good luck steaming and reshaping crowns.

Cuvier said:
"or do I wait on the possibility of a CD in the right color showing up?"

I'm with you on the color choices for the Campdraft, I would like a Fawn or Taupe myself. Some suppliers show "Sand" with a tan brim binding some show a similar color body with silver or grey binding called "Silverbelly". Anyone have any idea about future availability of Fawn or Taupe?

For years Akubra used the name Silverbelly for the color. I suspect it was a holdover from when they had the license to make Stetson branded hats in Australia. There was a time when they had both sand and silverbelly. Recently, they dropped the name Silverbelly and called it sand. It’s the same color but with a different name. No idea on availability. I’ve been waiting for the Akubra Sombrero in my size to be restocked for over a year and a half now, and the same for the Woomera.

NOTE: Akubra doesn’t currently make all these colors and they don’t offer all hats in all the colors that they do currently offer. They also offer “new” colors that are not represented here
25C831D5-A744-4C28-94A2-0876ED96577F.jpeg

Last edited:

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Well the Hattery has somehow tricked me into ordering a Fed IV in Dark Brown. I ordered it yesterday. They show that it's shipped and on a plane here already. It's funny seeing that it's on a flight that left tomorrow. Time zones are weird.
I may have it sometime next week. I'm excited to give it a good punishment. I hope it holds up as well as my Stetson.

Well the Hattery has somehow tricked me into ordering a Fed IV in Dark Brown. I ordered it yesterday. They show that it's shipped and on a plane here already. It's funny seeing that it's on a flight that left tomorrow. Time zones are weird.
I may have it sometime next week. I'm excited to give it a good punishment. I hope it holds up as well as my Stetson.

If you do it right you might receive sometime last week. ;)

dmsantam

New in Town
The akubra traveller has a softer felt that is somewhat crushable. Is it still possible to shape the hat with steam and/or water? The reason I ask is that I want to push the middle of the "telescope" up a bit so it doesn't touch the top of my head. cheers

dmsantam

New in Town
The akubra traveller has a softer felt that is somewhat crushable. Is it still possible to shape the hat with steam and/or water? The reason I ask is that I want to push the middle of the "telescope" up a bit so it doesn't touch the top of my head. cheers
Can confirm that the pliofelt responds the same as any other akubra felt. A little steam, and it was re-shaped without issue.

Dave1232

New in Town
My wife got me an Akubra Adventurer hat for Christmas. I bashed it myself and it came out nicely. I plan on wearing it a lot. The kids and I do a lot of outdoor stuff. So I’m just wondering if the hat gets squished is it going to be ruined?

Or what if it gets wet? Should I try to keep it dry? Or is it going to be fine if it does happen to get wet?

Thanks!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Water should not be an issue for the felt, only the leather. Akubra sweats are not the highest quality leather and are generally known to shrink.

It's not crushable like a wool felt is, no. But it would have to be something like your kid falling/sitting on top of it to risk any significant damage. Say you accidentally whack a branch, or it gets knocked off your head and hits the ground you should be fine, or is not likely to be something that couldn't be straightened out with steam.

It's not worth fretting over too much though, there's just a non zero risk that extreme crushing of the hat would leave creases that would be hard to work out on your own without equipment.

Who?

Practically Family
My wife got me an Akubra Adventurer hat for Christmas. I bashed it myself and it came out nicely. I plan on wearing it a lot. The kids and I do a lot of outdoor stuff. So I’m just wondering if the hat gets squished is it going to be ruined?

Or what if it gets wet? Should I try to keep it dry? Or is it going to be fine if it does happen to get wet?

Thanks!
I’m curious, under what circumstances do you foresee it getting “squished”?

Getting it rained on will not be a problem. It might be a good thing to wear it, or put a hat stretcher in it until it dries, if it is soaked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ