Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra, sand colour.

carranty

One of the Regulars
So I'm thinking its time to buy myself a proper hat. I wear hats often as I have little hair left on my head (I'm 30, genetics!), but mostly just beanies or Tilleys. I'm quite taken with Akubra's Lighting ridge in sand but am not sure quite how it would look. Pictures on the web show it to be anywhere from a light cream to completely white. I was wondering if anyone had any real-world pictures (i.e. not advertising stills) of it in sand colour (or indeed any Akubra hat of the same colour) to give me a better idea. I've searched through the previous posts but most images appear to have been deleted, or else the links to them have changed.

Also, how do people on here feel about chin straps/stampede string. I live in the North West of England (where its really quite gusty), so really need a hat that would look ok with a chin strap attached.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also, how do people on here feel about chin straps/stampede string. I live in the North West of England (where its really quite gusty), so really need a hat that would look ok with a chin strap attached.

Hi Carranty, I have both a chin strap on a wool British WW2 Bush Hat, I put it on ONCE. Very British Parade. I have three hats with stampede strings, and use them a lot. The strings hang behind you when they're not in use. I suggest that you not buy ($20) horsehair stampede strings (like you'll find them in England anyway). A plain leather shoe string with a leather tab is a great stampede string. The $40 (American) Leather braided stampede strings are great and hang well. Unless you plan on sewing the horsehair stampede strings to the hat, they don't seem to stay on well.

Later

I hate any strap that is in front, I have one hat that has a strap that goes around the back of my head and locks it on VERY well.
I don't know what they are called but I've seen the same type thing on state trooper hats here in the US.

Having said that I don't usually have a problem with my fedoras staying on in 15 knots of wind. Just make sure the fit is good.

My panama hats tend to lift off easier, but still with a good fit its got to be pretty windy.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Akubra's Sand (aka Silverbelly) is definitely not white, nor is it a neutral off-white. It's like cream, with a distinct rusty or pinkish cast. Like a very light beige.

I have a Cattleman in Sand... but the one picture I have of it is in such mega-bright sun that it appears whiter than it is in reality:

CATLMN1.JPG

I suggest you look at the Silverbelly Campdrafts. Sand and Silverbelly are the same color, though as shown in post #462 of this thread, there is some variation in the dye:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...bra-Campdraft-in-Silver-Belly-Campaign/page24

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I have a Fed IV in Tawny. I am not sure if you would call it sand or not, but here is a photo of it.

NewImage.jpg
[/IMG]

BTW welcome to the Lounge.

Kirk H.

carranty

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the responses guys, this is a very friendly forum! :)

I reason my use of a chin strap as follows. For the most part chin straps look silly, no matter what hat.The only thing that looks sillier than a chin strap is a man chasing his hat.

A good point, reminds me of a quote from Miller's Crossing ; "Nothing more foolish than a man chasin' his hat."

I hate any strap that is in front, I have one hat that has a strap that goes around the back of my head and locks it on VERY well.
I don't know what they are called but I've seen the same type thing on state trooper hats here in the US.

I've seen those too (on TV). They're very subtle but effective for winds coming from behind. I've not seen them for Akubra hats though......

Akubra's Sand (aka Silverbelly) is definitely not white, nor is it a neutral off-white. It's like cream, with a distinct rusty or pinkish cast. Like a very light beige.

I have a Cattleman in Sand... but the one picture I have of it is in such mega-bright sun that it appears whiter than it is in reality:

Thanks for that, it definitely looks white in your picture, a lot like some of the stock photos. Does it look a different colour when indoors than outside, or is it just a camera thing?

My thanks also to jlee562 and Kirk H., interesting comparison shots. Tawny looks nice too, somewhere in between Heritage Fawn and Sand from the looks of it. It's a pity Akubra don't make each model of hat in the same colours.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A hat that fits properly doesn't need a chin strap, wind trolley, etc, at least in my experience. I have three Akubra Feds. None of them need chin straps/wind trolleys and stay on my head in quite gusty conditions because the brims give way before the hat leaves my head.

I'm not saying to get a Fed (IV). I'm just advocating well-fitting hats.

1961MJS

A hat that fits properly doesn't need a chin strap, wind trolley, etc, at least in my experience. I have three Akubra Feds. None of them need chin straps/wind trolleys and stay on my head in quite gusty conditions because the brims give way before the hat leaves my head.

I'm not saying to get a Fed (IV). I'm just advocating well-fitting hats.
Hi Scotty

My stampede strings are all on Western hats, and they're a LOT stiffer than my 100% Beaver fedora.

http://www.outwestsaddlery.com/html/stampede_strings.html

Later

Last edited:

Stinkykid

New in Town
Akubra's sand colour is not the same as their silverbelly. Not a huge difference but the sand is paler. Here's my silverbelly Campdraft Deluxe for comparison (in the same light)...

51207008.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I would advocate a hat with a wind trolley, as found on a Campdraft (how I wish they came as standard on a Federation!). Doesn't stop the hat blowing off, but keeps it by you. Much less intrusive than a chin strap.

johnnycanuck

Great choice. I have a Coolabah and my sister has a Coober Peby, both are close to the Lightining Ridge in style. You will not be disappointed. As for chin straps; in time the hat will shrink and mold to your head and you may not need to use one. But if you order your hat threw Hatsdirect.com they include a leather chin strap free with all their hats. I used one on my Snowyriver for the first year before it shrank to my head size and shape.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

Last edited:

Gromulus

Practically Family
Uh, Akubra themselves say Sand and Silverbelly are the same color. Check out this color swatches PDF from their official site:

http://www.akubra.com.au/images/corporate/images/Akubra-colour-swatch-card.pdf

As others have said, perhaps the Imperial and Heritage felt absorb dyes differently... or individual dye batches can vary somewhat in shade?

Very plausible. I have a Stylemaster and FedIV Deluxe in Moonstone and the colors are noticeably different. The Stylemaster (Imperial felt) is a bluer, cleaner shade of light gray while the FEDIV (Heritage felt) is slightly darker and noticeably yellower. It was also explained to me that the Heritage felt absorbs dyes to a different degree. Probably just the normal variations within their standard dye colors.

Edward

Bartender
If memory serves, isn't the Imperial all rabbit, while the Heritage has a proportion of hare in it? That could well explain any difference in how dye takes.

jkingrph

Practically Family
"Sand" is pretty much what you want it to be. Ie the brilliant white sands of the Florida panhandle beaches, to the commoner beige sands almost everywhere to the black volcanic sands of some of the pacific islands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21