Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers

Plumbline

One Too Many
As an aside ... having looked at a few of the Alexanders jackets measurements I would say by and large that they are a slightly NEATER fit than the equiv Aero ... not by much but definately trimmer on a like for like basis:

Highwayman - Roadster
Bootlegger - Detroit
LHB - Longrider

not much in it but definately a little neater INHO.

Phone them for the measurements and compare and contrast to your own .. I did. I'd probably need a 46" bike jacket for example as opposed to my 44" Aero.

majormajor

One Too Many
As an aside ... having looked at a few of the Alexanders jackets measurements I would say by and large that they are a slightly NEATER fit than the equiv Aero ... not by much but definately trimmer on a like for like basis:

Highwayman - Roadster
Bootlegger - Detroit
LHB - Longrider

not much in it but definately a little neater INHO.

Phone them for the measurements and compare and contrast to your own .. I did. I'd probably need a 46" bike jacket for example as opposed to my 44" Aero.

Or then again, Will could have achieved this by simply sizing the jackets down. Not exactly rocket science......and not very effective, as folks one here are reporting that Amanda generally adds a size to your order. Back to square one........:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Pl, if you're happy with your jacket(s), that is cool: each to their own as far as fit goes. But as you say, we can't help it if we like are jackets more fitted so it's always going to be easier to compare like-with-like.[huh] Perhaps the VLJ will be more receptive?;)

I really don't understand..arguing the point..or attempting to justify how you wear your jackets. It is true..the photos you've posted seem that they all fit practically the same. You wear them as you like them and it's your money to spend. [huh]
HD

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I really don't understand..arguing the point..or attempting to justify how you wear your jackets. It is true..the photos you've posted seem that they all fit practically the same. You wear them as you like them and it's your money to spend. [huh]
HD

+1

majormajor

One Too Many
HD

+2

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Plumbline, instead of worrying what others think about how your jackets fit, I'd say to instead take comfort in the fact that you, yourself are actually fit. Regardless of how jackets fit, they can't change the fact that some of us are in worse shape than others. If someone figures out that trick, demand will far outweigh (no pun intended) supply.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Pl, if you're happy with your jacket(s), that is cool: each to their own as far as fit goes. But as you say, we can't help it if we like are jackets more fitted so it's always going to be easier to compare like-with-like.[huh] Perhaps the VLJ will be more receptive?;)

They're even feckin worse ..... they think manufacture of A-2's during the war was a more exact science than than the manufacture of computer chips in clean rooms .... every panel was cut to thousandth of an inch accuracy EVERY TIME ... and they NEVER stretched or altered during their entire 70 year history :) :) :)

... and don't fer feck sake get them started on repro's vs original ..... I've owned several originals (Irvin's and A-2's mostly) , they wear like 70 year old jackets ( and smell just as bad usually ... of damp loft storage, mothballs or worse) ... give me a decent repro EVERY TIME !

As with all of the interweb forums .. one always has to deal with the vocal minority rather than the silent majority :)

Yes, for many of the A2 "aficianados" tolerance, in the production line sense, doesn't seem to compute. Maybe it's because they have no experience of production lines or anything of the like? Neither does the notion that, especially during wartime, these factories would have very often used what they could get, and not what was "spec". This is most certainly the recollection of the people who worked in the workshops/factories making Irvins (I only have these stories second hand). The recent definitive answer to the horse/cow/goat DNA debate puts that to bed … or probably not, knowing those guys. You know, the ones who can pick horsehide from goathide from a grainy scan of a grainy copy of a grainy photograph of a bomber crew at distance, in a newspaper from 1943.:eusa_doh:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
They're even feckin worse ..... they think manufacture of A-2's during the war was a more exact science than than the manufacture of computer chips in clean rooms .... every panel was cut to thousandth of an inch accuracy EVERY TIME ... and they NEVER stretched or altered during their entire 70 year history :) :) :)

... and don't fer feck sake get them started on repro's vs original ..... I've owned several originals (Irvin's and A-2's mostly) , they wear like 70 year old jackets ( and smell just as bad usually ... of damp loft storage, mothballs or worse) ... give me a decent repro EVERY TIME !

As with all of the interweb forums .. one always has to deal with the vocal minority rather than the silent majority :)

You'll find plenty of posters from the VLJF reading here and being equally nonplussed by the stereotyping/bashing that keeps coming up and this 'stitch counting' obsession that seems to abound more on this forum than there...

Plenty of collectors of repros there too, but many from the high end, where Good Wear features heavily.

majormajor

One Too Many
You know, the ones who can pick horsehide from goathide from a grainy scan of a grainy copy of a grainy photograph of a bomber crew at distance, in a newspaper from 1943.:eusa_doh:

SO true....

Plenty of collectors of repros there too, but many from the high end, where Good Wear features heavily.

That phrase sums up VLJ perfectly. "I bought it, so it must be high end". Yeah, right :D;)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
That phrase sums up VLJ perfectly. "I bought it, so it must be high end". Yeah, right :D;)

Well, if that's how you want to view it I'm not going to try to change your mind as your opinion is valid, albeit one that I don't share.

Buyers will have personal preferences certainly, but if you seriously have a contender for a producer of military jacket repros that are superior to those that John Chapman is currently producing, then I'd be interested to hear more. He appears to be considered 'high end' in most of the Fora dealing with jackets of the type.

But, for what it's worth, read back over this thread, substitute 'fit' for 'stitch counting' or 'Aero' for 'Good Wear/high end' and it appears that it's not so different here. :D;)

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I personally think the GW stuff looks really nice, beyond all the stitch accuracy and whatnot, but the apparent 12 month waiting times are just beyond what I'm willing to thole. Same goes for Aces High. I understand it comes down to them being very small operations and availability of materials, but I'm just not so preoccupied with accuracy that its worth watching four seasons-plus drift by before I can get my hands on it, and used GWs rarely appear in my size.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I personally think the GW stuff looks really nice, beyond all the stitch accuracy and whatnot, but the apparent 12 month waiting times are just beyond what I'm willing to thole. Same goes for Aces High. I understand it comes down to them being very small operations and availability of materials, but I'm just not so preoccupied with accuracy that its worth watching four seasons-plus drift by before I can get my hands on it, and used GWs rarely appear in my size.

Understand all of that Sloan, but that wasn't what stirred me to respond to a thread in which I otherwise have no jacket interest, it was the 'I post on the VLJF and if I buy it therefore it must be high end' nonsense. The GW jackets are indeed really nice - from the perspectives of materials, accuracy and craftsmanship, other manufacturers are raising their respective games, but a small operation with a full order book (and long line of prospective customers) leads inevitably to a long wait if you want bespoke.

I don't opt to wait a year+ either: I buy a jacket (GW, ELC or the like) through a Forum or EBay (or as a test jacket from the GW site) and get the jacket tailored (sleeve shortening) if necessary - wait time, a few days/couple of weeks. I'm fortunate that I'm typically a 44, but can wear a 42-46 depending on whether it slender fitting (A-1) or blousier (e.g. a B-10 or B-15). Small sizes (36, 38) rarely if ever come up; 48-52 do occasionally; 42, 44, and particularly 46 much more common.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think I was just venting my irritation at the amount of saved eBay searches I've had offering me size 44s (I now understand why this happens), which wouldn't require so much tailoring as total reconstruction. :D And Spitfire's saga in getting his,admittedly lovely, Irvin, proves he's a far more patient man than I am. It's a different market for a different customer, I guess.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
What size are you? I have an admittedly small circle of friends who collect jackets (but they - collectors/jackets - come in all sizes) and I can ask around...

ChubbMuff

New in Town
... that's the thing about opinions ... they're like arseholse ... all but a very few have them :)

"Opinions are like assholes son - everyone has one and they ALL stink" is how my old man used to put it. But then he was as rough as hessian underpants with a head like a Romanian robber's dog.

Be happy in your jackets man, they are all really nice.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I have a neighbour who is also a slim 36-38 and is selling a number of USN originals: M-422A, G-1, AN-J-4 if you're interested?

Stand By

One Too Many
Good points Plumbline.
And the other thing to consider is the age demographic of the original users .v. the demographic of the FL.
The original wearers of A2s, Irvins and the motorcycle jackets for the Luftwaffe pilots and post-war Beatniks were just young lads of 18-25 as a general rule of thumb; and all young lads on a ration diet at that !
Our demographic: Well, speaking as I am at 45, we now have to be old <Cough! Cough!> I mean mature enough to have fully established careers and therefore have enough disposable income to even afford these jackets that we so admire and appreciate.
And the issue of the modern Western diet is obvious (do yourselves a favour and watch the documentary “Forks Over Knives” if you want to know how truly terrible it is. It’s available on DVD. Be prepared for it to probably change your entire approach to food! It has me and the wife and we feel so much better for it).
So as a whole, we’re stockier customers than the designs originally were intended for …
So knowing how a great jacket can make you feel good, I think that preferring a blousier fit is fine by me if it means that it looks like you’re wearing the jacket - as opposed to it looking as though the jacket is wearing you. Just wear it and enjoy it.
And IMHO, I think the AL-8 looks great – and great on you, Plumbline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails