Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha MA-1 Vintage or Replica?

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Trying to find some clarity on the whole Alpha "Vintage" and "Made in USA" thing. McGuire's on eBay has two MA-1's listed as "vintage," one in "vintage blue," the other in "replica blue." The vintage blue jacket has the actual "Vintage Series" tag (with the F-4) and is non-reversible. The replica blue has the large Alpha logo tag and is reversible. Both are made in USA. I am pretty sure these are not the same "line," simply on the basis of the tags. My questions:

1) Is there an appreciable difference in the quality (knits, nylon) and fit (most esp. sleeve length, back length) between the "Vintage Series" and other "Made in USA" Alpha MA-1's? (I am on the smaller end of Large, thin, longish arms).

2) How do you distinguish the fabled "Replica Series" jackets, or do they ever even come around?

FYI, before I got the tip to use a steamer on wrinkled nylon jackets, I received a "Made in USA" MA-1 in replica gray (nice color). It was so bunched up and short-fitting, I had the brilliant idea to send it to the dry cleaners to get the thing presentable. Big mistake. They stretched out the cuffs and put a dry cleaners iron-on tag on the inside of the knit collar, then tried to undo the latter when I complained. The outcome: They are paying my costs for the jacket, and they advised me to maybe not send these jackets to the cleaners, since the materials seemed to be "inferior."

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The only experience I have with these Alpha's is my Vintage B-15 (USA), and trying on many MA-1's (China) in Germany. The Chinese made jackets were larger, and seemed to have heavier satin material, and the knits were superb...almost G&B quality.

The Vintage jacket in a size L is smallish...more like a medium, but fits nicely as I am not huge. I know that probably does not help you much.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
The only experience I have with these Alpha's is my Vintage B-15 (USA), and trying on many MA-1's (China) in Germany. The Chinese made jackets were larger, and seemed to have heavier satin material, and the knits were superb...almost G&B quality.

The Vintage jacket in a size L is smallish...more like a medium, but fits nicely as I am not huge. I know that probably does not help you much.

Well, it does help some. I'm all about sleeve length and feel that a "Vintage Series" MA-1 is going to be too short there. I know your B-15 comes in at 24 in. in the sleeves. I need 25.5 to start, basically. My experience with "Made in USA" (as distinguished from "Vintage") was not very heartening.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I purchased a standard USA MA1 Alpha in replica blue and wasn't impressed with quality, neither was a nylon collector (service issue versions) that I showed it to. I found the standard Alpha MA1 XL a smaller fit than the 'Vintage' series XL; in fact the standard XL was uncomfortably small. I tried an XXL which made me look like Michelin Man so that was no good either.

I've posted Alpha 'replica' series MA1s & an N2B recently, the labels are closer to the period service version & I have found the jacket quality superb too. Fit has appeared a bit more generous, the XL is IMO slightly bigger in fit than the 'Vintage' series.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
I purchased a standard USA MA1 Alpha in replica blue and wasn't impressed with quality, neither was a nylon collector (service issue versions) that I showed it to. I found the standard Alpha MA1 XL a smaller fit than the 'Vintage' series XL; in fact the standard XL was uncomfortably small. I tried an XXL which made me look like Michelin Man so that was no good either.

I've posted Alpha 'replica' series MA1s & an N2B recently, the labels are closer to the period service version & I have found the jacket quality superb too. Fit has appeared a bit more generous, the XL is IMO slightly bigger in fit than the 'Vintage' series.

Thanks. I've seen some of your "nylon" postings. Quite good pic's and helped spark my interest in the area (thanks a lot :) ). It seems everyone's experiences are all over the place. My special problem I think is trying to fit myself into a jacket style not really suited to me. With a lot of clothes, I have to get lucky or spend many monies to get what I want. So it goes...

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I am of the opinion now that the import versions of the Alpha jackets are superior to the USA made versions. This is in reference to the satin jackets. I'll know more about their leather products next week.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
I am of the opinion now that the import versions of the Alpha jackets are superior to the USA made versions. This is in reference to the satin jackets. I'll know more about their leather products next week.

Starting to think that now, too. Keep us posted on the leather.

On my other question, how do you tell if a jacket is from the "Replica Series"? At least with the vintage, it says right there "Vintage." Is there a secret handshake or something?

Edward

Bartender
2) How do you distinguish the fabled "Replica Series" jackets, or do they ever even come around?

My B15C Replica Series is darker than the Vintage jackets. The Replica is the correct navy blue colour, which Alpha call "Replica Blue". There are no Alpha logos on any of the zips, nor is there an Alpha tag on the cigarette pocket on the arm. Inside labelling closely resembles that on an original. It actually looks very close to the one in my Buzz Rickson B15C too, though I've never gone looking to see if the contract nos et cetera replicate anything on the Aero (I suspect not, but that's only supposition). I can't recall if the label says "replica series" on it at all - I have a feeling it doesn't, as the labels on this are a mock-up of military labelling. Knits are nylon and turned a bit of a purpley hue relatively quickly. After three or four years of heavy wear, one of the seams between jacket and cuff needs a bit of a running repair.

They don't seem to turn up all that frequently in larger sizes any more. I regret not buying a second one to squirrel away when they did have several XLs sitting around. I'm still keeping half an eye out for a D series, though the current Alpha Range has a "Replica B15" which seems to be a reprisal of the old Replica Series B15D. http://www.alphaindustries.com/Mens-Flight-Jackets/Alpha-Industries-Replica-B-15-Flight-Jacket.asp This one's made in China (I only mention this because non-US manufacture seems to be a hang-up for some folks, less so if it's Japanese rather than Chinese, it sometimes seems [huh] ), but it's entirely to the spec of the originals, and the reviews seem good. Not an immediate priority, but if I found one of these in the UK (withoutg shipping and import taxes and all sorts shooting the price up), I'd definitely try one as a matter of priority.

FYI, before I got the tip to use a steamer on wrinkled nylon jackets, I received a "Made in USA" MA-1 in replica gray (nice color). It was so bunched up and short-fitting, I had the brilliant idea to send it to the dry cleaners to get the thing presentable. Big mistake. They stretched out the cuffs and put a dry cleaners iron-on tag on the inside of the knit collar, then tried to undo the latter when I complained. The outcome: They are paying my costs for the jacket, and they advised me to maybe not send these jackets to the cleaners, since the materials seemed to be "inferior."

Sounds like they screwed-up and are trying to shift the blame onto the jacket. Are you saying they also added a permanent tag bearing their logo onto your jacket? I don't know what common practice is round your way, but I believe the technical term for that in English law is 'taking the p***'. In your place, they' be getting no more business from me.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You can just imagine their approach: "This has a note saying it's an original WWII A-2 and we're to be extremely careful with. Okay!" *applies transfer and iron*

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
My B15C Replica Series is darker than the Vintage jackets. The Replcia is the correct navy blue colour, which Alpha call "Replica Blue". There are no Aplha logos on any of the zips, nor is there an Alpha tag on the cigaretted pocket on the arm. Inside labelling closely resembles that on an original. It actually looks very close to the one in my Buzz Rickson B15C too, though I've never gone looking to see if the contract nos et cetera replicate anything on the Aero (I suspect not, but that's only supposition). I can't recall if the label syas "replica series" on it at all - I have a feeling it doesn't, as the labels on this are a mock-up of military labelling. Knits are nylon and turned a bit of a purpley hue relatively quickly. After three or four years of heavy wear, one of the seams between jacket and cuff needs a bit of a running repair.

They don't seem to turn up all that frequently in larger sizes any more. I regret not buying a second one to squirrel away when they did have several XLs sitting around. I'm still keeping half an eye out for a D series, though the current Alpha Range has a "Replica B15" which seems to be a reprisal of the old Replica Series B15D. http://www.alphaindustries.com/Mens-Flight-Jackets/Alpha-Industries-Replica-B-15-Flight-Jacket.asp This one's made in China (I only mention this because non-US manufacture seems to be a hang-up for some folks, less so if it's Japanese rather than Chinese, it sometimes seems [huh] ), but it's entirely to the spec of the originals, and the reviews seem good. Not an immediate priority, but if I found one of these in the UK (withoutg shipping and import taxes and all sorts shooting the price up), I'd definitely try one as a matter of priority.

Sounds like they screwed-up and are trying to shift the blame onto the jacket. Are you saying they also added a permanent tag bearing their logo onto your jacket? I don't know what common practice is round your way, but I believe the technical term for that in English law is 'taking the p***'. In your place, they' be getting no more business from me.

Thank you for the information. Hope it give me a better "eye." As for the dry cleaners, down these parts they put a small iron-on bar code patch for tracking in-house. This particular shop uses a very small one (about the size of the "cancel" prompt to the lower right when you're posting here), so they are not too egregious. (Whether they are necessary is another thing altogether, especially when you are not told they will be doing so). In this case, some brain-truster thought that the inner side of an MA-1 collar was the least conspicuous place. I generously assume they were concerned about the nylon as an alternative. Got all my costs covered and didn't fit well anyway. I call it a draw, but ,no, they will not be cleaning any more of my jackets. What if it had been something really nice, vintage, expensive, or leather? One shudders to think on it.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Those iron on tags are bizarre. My dry cleaner just puts a small paper wrapped over the coat hook or pinned inside somewhere with a safety pin so you can easily remove when you get it back.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
You can just imagine their approach: "This has a note saying it's an original WWII A-2 and we're to be extremely careful with. Okay!" *applies transfer and iron*

Exactly. You posted while I was typing caveman style. Don't know how prevalent this practice is from shop to shop. One previous cleaner I used put on a patch about half-inch by three inches on the inner placket of shirts so that it rode along next to your "twig and berries," or whatever you guys over there call it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
In my local dry cleaner, and the ones I've used generally, the practice is to attach a ticket with small plastic tag that can removed easily with a pair of scissors.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I have dry-cleaned three of my nylon jackets, two 36/p and one original 1975 L-2B with no problem, maybe I was lucky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace