Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amway. Anyone here use a product called Dri-Fab and what happened to it

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
back in the 1980s Amway made a product called Dri-Fab. It was a waterproofing substance that you sprayed on things. Dri-Fab was so good you could spray a piece of kitchen towel paper with it and it would be waterproof to the point that you could spray the paper, fold it into a cup shape and fill it with water and it would not leak.
My question is, Does anyone know if it still exists or why it has been taken off the market? I cannot find anything about it other than positive reviews from way back and trademark stuff, no technical data? Is/was it poisonous ?
I did sell Amway for a while, but it was fairly hopeless trying to sell washing up liquid(Dish drops) at around 4 times the price of another better known product. Dri-Fab was the only thing I sold a reasonable amount of.
Thanks, J.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What a small world, my company had the contract to deliver Amway in the Southeast and London area of the UK about 15 years ago. Although I never got to know their products, a quick search found this on E-Bay. The bid has expired, but chances are that if you put the word out, someone will help out.

I don't know about Dri-Fab in particular, but most water and stain repellents of that era used flurosurfactants, such as perfluorooctane sulfanate (PFOS). In addition to human health effects, including cancer, kidney disease, and chronic affects on the immune system, they are classified as a "persistent organic pollutant" under the Stockholm Convention, and most manufactures have phased out their use over the last 20 years or so. The newer chemicals have a much shorter half-life, and don't seem to work as well, though they are purported to be safer for human health and the environment.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
What a small world, my company had the contract to deliver Amway in the Southeast and London area of the UK about 15 years ago. Although I never got to know their products, a quick search found this on E-Bay. The bid has expired, but chances are that if you put the word out, someone will help out.
Thanks :) I saw this on US eBay in my original search and have seen, ahmm! 'Vintage' aerosols fairly regularly. I just did not fancy splashing out a load of £££ or $$$ only to find the pressure has gone.

I don't know about Dri-Fab in particular, but most water and stain repellents of that era used flurosurfactants, such as perfluorooctane sulfanate (PFOS). In addition to human health effects, including cancer, kidney disease, and chronic affects on the immune system, they are classified as a "persistent organic pollutant" under the Stockholm Convention, and most manufactures have phased out their use over the last 20 years or so. The newer chemicals have a much shorter half-life, and don't seem to work as well, though they are purported to be safer for human health and the environment.
I sprayed just about everything that could get wet with Dri-Fab, I'm still around though. But yes we often find years later things we had fun with were really bad for us(really bad) such as chemistry sets containing radium etc.

Never heared of it. Aaah, launched in the old times!:

http://www.trademarkia.com/drifab-72195915.html
Really interesting stuff there, I see the word 'expired' 2006 so guess it's not for sale anymore but thanks, very useful info :)

Thanks all, looks like I will have to settle for my rubbish tent waterproofing liquid :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany