Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

And now for something slightly different--a double-bound edge

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I won a hat from Sussex Hats in New York a while back. I told Dinerman and Art I'd post photos and describe it a bit, so here it is... better late than never! ;)

It has a two-toned edge binding and ribbon. The effect is done using two different-colored ribbons.

SussexHatsdouble-boundedge8.jpg

As you can see, it's still open crown. It does have a couple minor moth bites here and there.

SussexHatsdouble-boundedge9.jpg

SussexHatsdouble-boundedge1.jpg

Ooops... forgot to make sure the wind trolley cord was down!

SussexHatsdouble-boundedge2.jpg

It doesn't have a bow, either.

SussexHatsdouble-boundedge4.jpg

SussexHatsdouble-boundedge3.jpg

So how did they do it? For the edge binding the inside, darker color was attached first. That color is visible only on the top. On the underside you can see the stitching where the inside edge was sewn down.

The second, outside layer had to have been done with an edge-binding sewing machine. The ribbon on the top is folded back over the stitching, hiding the stitches on top. The ribbon wraps around the edge. You can see the stitches on the edge of the ribbon on the underside. Well, I can... the photo's a bit blurred. I'll try to get a better one up later.

For the hat band, the lighter (upper) part of the dual-ribbon was sewn onto the darker ribbon, then folded up over the stitching. As with older hats, you can see the very long basting stitch along the top of the ribbon holding it in place. Instead of the traditional bow the ribbon is folded to bring it down to a point after overlapping itself. At the end of the point is the wind trolley button.

SussexHatsdouble-boundedge5.jpg

There is a price tag inside the sweatband. New it cost $7.50. What I don't have a clue about is when?

Unfortunately for me, this hat turned out to be a 7 1/8. I'm not sure yet if I'll try stretching it to wear. Who knows, maybe if I actually lose the weight I need to lose I could shrink down into it! lol

I have another with a similar ribbon treatment, next post.

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
A Resistol

Here's a Resistol (new--never worn!) with a tri-colored ribbon that was created much the same as the Sussex ribbon. First the bottom ribbon, then the middle ribbon was sewn to the first and folded up over the stitches, and the third ribbon sewn on and again, folded up over the stitches. Very nice! And... it fits me!:eusa_clap

DSC01898.jpg

DSC01902.jpg

DSC01901.jpg

DSC01903.jpg

So there ya go... two of my slightly different hats. I do like the slightly quirky details. I've got a few others I'll photograph and show some time.

Regards,
Tom

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Tom - You're KILLIN' ME!!!!!! I love posts like yours that let us see something really different and out of the ordinary. The ribbon treatment on that Sussex is amazing. What a really unique lid!

The Resistol is just beautiful. Really striking. And in your size, too? Excellent!

Back in the day, I wonder how often you'd come across lids like these. I suppose that, back in a time where most men wore hats, these lids served to give the wearer a distinctive look. Very cool.

Thanks for taking the time to put this thread together. Great stuff.

Cheers,
JtL

Razzman

One Too Many
Tom, the ribbon treatment on both hats is unique. It's different, and very sheik. I like them both very much. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Not a fancy ribbon so I won't add it to Lefty's thread on that subject...

but an interesting brim edge treatment, especially for a Penney's Marathon!

DSC02900.jpg

DSC02901.jpg

DSC02902.jpg

DSC02903.jpg

DSC02904.jpg

It is, in a nutshell, a bound edge that's been folded over to create an overwelt edge binding! On the underside there's a single line of stitching as opposed to the double line on the top.

I've not come across this type before. I love the color but A. it's a stingy, and B. It's a 7 1/8. It'll be a university graduation gift for my nephew. He has a couple of other stingy brims he's obtained from me and I'm told he's never seen without one of them on! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
that's being done now on the Stetson Windham as well

That's pretty cool! I wonder why we've not seen this around (on other vintage hats) before? Or if so if it's just not been noticed. It can be rather subtle.

Mr. Paladin said:
Those are all very interesting TY. Good hunting skills!

Thanks, Mr. Paladin! I cannot take credit for the last one, though. I bought a "The Pan Am Hat by Lee" hat box a little while ago and when it arrived this hat was in it. The seller had tossed it in as a freebie! :eusa_clap

Now if only I could find a "Pan Am Hat" to go with the box! Looking at the box I get the impression that this was a Lee response to Stetson's Stratoliner. A search on the Lounge found references to the airline and some aircraft, but no hats. :(

Cheers,
Tom

barrowjh

One Too Many
I have a grey Willard homberg that uses the trick of folding the ribbon back on itself to conceal one side of stitching. The other side is pulled topside, under the pencil curl, such that the binding appears to just be a bead (to appear sort of like the relatively narrow binding on thin-ribbon hats, but not the same). Left on this pic (I do not have a close up).
012509008.jpg

You can just see a slightly darker bead at the edge of the curled brim.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran