Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ANJ4, Irvin 1940 pattern, and Irvin 1942 pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Among reproduction sheepskin flight jackets - the ANJ4, Irvin 1940 pattern, and Irvin 1942 pattern - one will be my next, and last, leather winter coat. Although at least two best-quality manufacturers make ANJ4s and 1940 pattern Irvins, I have not examined ANY of the three jackets I named. Nor do I know anyone who owns one - despite living where winter is a seven-month season. And I've seen and examined cursorily only one junker B-3 - not too bad, by the way.

Does having fewer back pieces and fewer seams make a significant difference between durability 1940 and 1942 Irvins?

The ANJ4 appears to be a cleaner design than either Irvin. Other than being esthetically cleaner, perhaps more pleasing, does its design translate to a more durable jacket than either (both??) Irvin patterns?

Am I asking valid questions? If I am not, please guide me to the correct ones. Any of these jackets purchased from a best-quality maker is too expensive to buy on a guess.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Durabiility depends on a lot - yes, piecing is one part of it (there's a good reason the A-2 was made with a one-piece back), but quality of leather and of construction are more important yet.

My choice would be the ANJ-4 for practicality as well as lines. Those patch pockets sure come in handy, and the goat elbow patches can't hurt for long wear, either.

Which maker were you thinking of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav