Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any B-10 USAAF flight jacket expert here? Need help.

IRVIN-FAN

Banned
Hi
I am interested in buying a ( repro) B-10 flight jacket listed on Ebay.
However, I am very unsure about ( the repro) maker.
Its Ebay item:121659389928
Colar and hanger look not as they should be for a first class B-10 STAGG Co. repro. if made by a prime maker.
Please help or , happy to read your thoughts.
Thankyou all.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Well lots on here rate Buzz, they were sold by Eastman at one point. Cheap start price but probably wont end up that cheap.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Whatever happened to Aero's B-10 and B-15?

Man, I would pay leather jacket money for one of those B-15s! Just like Brando in 'On the Waterfront'.

IRVIN-FAN

Banned
Hello all,
any idea on who ( repro maker) made the B-10 offered on Ebay ? ( N#121659389928)
Many thanks for your assistance.
Best.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Big J , Aero stopped doing the B10 & B15 some years ago. I think before Ken came back. Under Ken, they did for a brief shile have a bunch of B10s on sale, but I have no idea if those were old stock or run up to use up surplus materials found lying around as they cleared up the factory. The B15 was the first to go; I nearly bought one for gbp100, new, when they blew them out back around 2009/10, but decided against it as at the time I really wanted a B10. Regret it now (these days much prefer the 15). Aero stock the Pike cloth jackets now, so I doubt they'll go back. Pre 2012 rumour was they were dropping all nonleather jackets as their textile jacket maker was 'retiring', but the Waterfront was still sellingwell in Summer 2014, so....

Otter

One Too Many
I bought one of the tail end production B-10 Aeros, with the shell made from green Melton wool rather than the cotton outer. Very nice jacket and my usual day to day winter wearer. I also have the Eastman B-15 which is superb, end zone shell, but I keep it good for high days and holidays, it comes highly recommended.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Big J , Aero stopped doing the B10 & B15 some years ago. I think before Ken came back. Under Ken, they did for a brief shile have a bunch of B10s on sale, but I have no idea if those were old stock or run up to use up surplus materials found lying around as they cleared up the factory. The B15 was the first to go; I nearly bought one for gbp100, new, when they blew them out back around 2009/10, but decided against it as at the time I really wanted a B10. Regret it now (these days much prefer the 15). Aero stock the Pike cloth jackets now, so I doubt they'll go back. Pre 2012 rumour was they were dropping all nonleather jackets as their textile jacket maker was 'retiring', but the Waterfront was still sellingwell in Summer 2014, so....

Yeah, I remember when I bought my Real Deal A-2 they were really cheap! I sure am regretting it now.
If Otter's was my size, I'd mug him for it and throw him a couple of hundred bucks for the trouble!:D

Big J

Call Me a Cab
The wool ones ( if you can find one) runs small to size. I have a 46 but it is nearer in size to my much older and more beaten up 44 cotton.

Sorry Otter, this is your Eastman B-15 you're talking about?
I just realized they sell that in a size 50, which is what I order in Aero jackets, but if they're running small, I'm screwed.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Definitely not a Buzz or any other high-end repro, these, as has been noted elsewhere, are a cheap copy and usually come with those patches. Tell-tale signs are the lack of Army Air Forces decal and stamp inside the windflap and the incorrect zip which is a modern copy. It doesn't look like he's removed the patches very carefully either. I wouldn't bid too high on this one if I were you, wait until a genuine BR turns up, a really nice BR B-10 with berry knits was on eBay for a bargain BIN price of £180 on Saturday, needless to say it sold fast!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
A closer look this time, yes it does not look quite up to the Buzz/Eastman standard. The collar fleece looks almost like a synthetic.
As for the Aero Waterfronts, I think I prefer the all wool version rather than the reversible type they also sell.

Edward

Bartender
The all wool Waterfront is cracking. If they do bring out one in a different colour, I might order it with a heavier Winter liner. I sometimes wish I'd gone a size up for layering, but I love mine.

Royalcrown32

One of the Regulars
Definitely not a Buzz or any other high-end repro, these, as has been noted elsewhere, are a cheap copy and usually come with those patches. Tell-tale signs are the lack of Army Air Forces decal and stamp inside the windflap and the incorrect zip which is a modern copy. It doesn't look like he's removed the patches very carefully either. I wouldn't bid too high on this one if I were you, wait until a genuine BR turns up, a really nice BR B-10 with berry knits was on eBay for a bargain BIN price of £180 on Saturday, needless to say it sold fast!

Sorry man, but you are bashing my jacket. And clearly you don't know much about B-10's. This may or may not be a Buzz Rickson but this jacket is as close to an original Stagg Coat B-10 as possible. Stagg Coat -or any other B-10- hardly ever came with USAAF decals. Check the book 'American Flight Jackets, Airmen & Aircraft' by Jon Maguire. The chapter about B-10's only show one jacket that wears the USAAF decal. All the other ones are plain. And if it was such a 'cheap repro' it would never have been fitted with a Conmar zipper. For pictures of an original Stagg Coat B-10 see below.

ausreenactor

One of the Regulars
Not bashing at all, an accurate assessment on a jacket. Here is a pic of mine that I was forced to patch, based on the location of the two error patches.

DSC01923.JPG .

It is NOT a Buzz Rickson. I just sold one of the jackets you are offering for $125 at a local gun show. Can you show the CBI and 8th AAF roundel patches please? I would assume your 8th AAF patch has a merrowed edge? Can you advise all here how far down the sleeve your stitch holes are? I know how many inches down the sleeve... just want to verify for all concerned here. I had to put chevrons on as they were that far down the sleeve. Do you have a pic with the patches attached? I can furnish some.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner