Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any of you guys cut your own hair?

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I'm reminded me of that old line, any lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. However you guys seem to put the lie to that. The few times, many years ago, that I tried to trim my own hair, it came out awful. Nice job, gentlemen.
Hey man, times have been rough, so that has made me learn. Haircut prices are always going up and then you usually have to tip the barber too, so it all adds up and plus you have to do it at least twice a week. I am just very careful not to cut too much and alot of patience is needed.

mattfink

Practically Family
I cut mine a week and a half ago...let's just say I'm gonna get the back fixed here on Tuesday! LOL!!! It's not the worst, but it's cut a lot higher than normal.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I cut mine a week and a half ago...let's just say I'm gonna get the back fixed here on Tuesday! LOL!!! It's not the worst, but it's cut a lot higher than normal.

Been there and done that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've usually resorted to a crew cut at times like that!!!!!!When I was a boy, my mother allways cut my hair, standard crew or buzz cut. I remember a few times im my middle school years, going with my father to the barber shop a few blocks away. I can still picture it like yesterday....just like you always imagine an old time barber shop. One thing always has stayed the strongest part of the memory though....the barbers huge warm hands palming my entire head and his big warm thumb folding my ear down to trim up the sides!!! Good memories!!! Good times back then, my childhood straight out of Leave It to Beaver and Norman Rockwell!!!

BoDiddly

New in Town
Have been cutting my own hair for 25 years! The only tricky bit is the top for which I use scissors. It's a lot less complicated then you might think, and takes a little practice.

The savings haven't been money but time. Time to get to hair shop, wait in the queue, hair wash, then a painfully slow hair cut, then paying to get out.

Instead if I need a trim, anytime late evening, early morning, no extra errand to run to get it clipped.

Granted, my hair is largely short all around ( 1/8" - 1/2"), a little longer on top (2"-3"), fading to the edges.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Fun thread, here. Nice job on those cuts, gents! I've cut my own for about ten years. I stopped going to barber shops after getting REALLY tired of the question "So, what do YOU do?" and getting trapped listening to unpleasant conversations almost every time.

Fifty150

One Too Many
And this is what I have to start with each morning!!!!
img2573a.jpg

80's pop star?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been cutting my own hair for almost 20 years. The key is being able to fix your mistakes, or moreso, making it seem like the mistake was intentional! I've got more of a Depression Era cut going on at the moment, so a blunt, shaved back and sides looks "correct". I pride myself on how great my fades are, but if things go awry (ie, going up too high, uneven, etc) I can just make it a blunt cut and wait for it to grow back in a few days.

redtag

Banned
I have tried styling my hair with scissors before. The sad part is that it turned out to be a disasters so I never tried doing it again. Good for the others who get a really good outcome after the hair cut.

TheBeak

One of the Regulars
Been cutting my own for about 6 months now. It was the last service I was paying for with any regularity. I mow my own grass, fix my own cars, maintain my own home (plumbing and electrical included) so this made lots of sense.

I use a Wahl clipper, and use the longest guard I have (number 8 i think) on top, with fading to a 4 on the sides and back finishing with a 1 at the neckline. Worst part for me is the neckline - I guess I'm just too scared to mess it up, but I just end up taking the bottom back down to a number 1 guard and let it go with no hairline shaping. The end result is a little less than clean hairline compared to a barber, but it works, and it's free.

I can't convince my wife to do the back for me, which would be LOADS easier, but she is more scared than me to mess it up LOL.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I used to cut my own hair when I kept it really short. Now my wife usually does it. I am trying to find a barber who knows how to cut hair. Usually I say "Cut the sides and back and don't touch the top." then they chop off all my hair.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I used to cut my own hair when I kept it really short. Now my wife usually does it. I am trying to find a barber who knows how to cut hair. Usually I say "Cut the sides and back and don't touch the top." then they chop off all my hair.

A very Familiar story!!! It's not hard to cut it yourself when you keep it real short, it's when you want some style that it's hard to do well. I let my wife try once.....just once! You've got a keeper there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner