Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any one ever design a Jacket from scratch?

Lando

Practically Family
I was photographing some of the custom jackets from Vanson leathers I designed and wondered if any of the good ol'folks here have done anything like that? I'm not talking about altering sizing and moving pockets here and there, but a hands down orginal design from start to finish. Just curious. There seems to be this perfect design concept of what fits into the Fedora Lounge theme, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few of you had taken that design and extrapolated the parts you most loved into a new design that could sit comfortably besides any authentic design of the age. Also, if you have created a custom, who built it for you and how happy were you with the finished product.

The link below is to the Flickr where I'm slowly posting the pictures of my customs. As of now its nothing that fits the theme of this forum:eek:fftopic: , but I'm working on getting all of my stuff photographed and posted.

Thanks for the time guys.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/earthburner/sets/72157614663167176/

garzo

One of the Regulars
Very cool. It looks like there are some Native American influences in the design, but it also has a certain medieval, or even much later Renaissance flare. Looks fantastical and wild. Congratulations. Must be a real blast to be able to design you own jackets and see them come to life.

Yes i have. I am currently nearing the end of a very long (because i only have a small amount of time to devote to it) process to take all the best features (as i humby decree "best") of 30s and 40s motorcycle jackets, and create a plaid heavy wool version. My plan is to buy a cheap, massive, Woolrich-type hunting jacket and cut down the panels for my use. This will provide enough fabric to introduce pleats, a rear half belt, etc etc.

I have seen a few examples (1 in person) of original 30s/40s motorcycle jackets made of this type of fabric, and they are amazing. And very rare, requiring a custom made job.

The best i have seen ended recently on eBay. It was made of Chemayo fabric and corduroy. Absolutely remarkable looking jacket.

bk

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I never have, although I have made number of copies of other things over the years. Maybe it's a matter or creativity (or lack of it im my case) but in each instance I have been stimulated by a wish to copy something (e.g. B-3, D-1, M-1941, Levi Type 3) than by a wish to produce something new and original.

Having patterns and/or an original helps me to work - maybe I'm just not that good...

Edward

Bartender
Maybe more a matter of differing interests? If one is trying to create something that bears the design hallmarks of a specific time period, it is inevitable that it will be more derivative by nature, given that that is essentially the object of the exercise...

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Edward,

I think you are being kind. I suspect it is just that I became interested in reproduction jackets at a time when a premium was plut on very accurate replication, and I used to frequent websites where advice and/or criticism was always offered in that direction.

It hasn't reallo occured to me (until I read this) to try to create something original. The idea is beginning to appeal to me...

volatile said:
Please do; it'd be good to see what you're talking about. It sounds like an exciting project.

Here are 3 pics of the jacket. I have a suede motorcycle jacket dated to the early 30s with this type of zipper - an early-style Talon. This is possibly the most unusual and great jackets i've ever seen. I believe the end price was in the thousands of dollars. It was not a particularly small one either (IIRC), which is interesting.

Chemayo1.JPG

Chemayo2.JPG

Chemayo3.JPG

bk

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Sharp. Are the front waist inlays pockets?

Pendleton ought to try something like this with their Indian robe designs.

How about a Hudson Bay point blanket made into a varsity jacket, with the leather sleeves?

3323174366_83a2accf65.jpg

volatile

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
Here are 3 pics of the jacket. I have a suede motorcycle jacket dated to the early 30s with this type of zipper - an early-style Talon. This is possibly the most unusual and great jackets i've ever seen. I believe the end price was in the thousands of dollars. It was not a particularly small one either (IIRC), which is interesting.

Chemayo1.JPG

Chemayo2.JPG

Chemayo3.JPG

bk

Oh, that is lovely. I can see how a woollen one would look amazing... you got a tailor in mind, or are you going to crack it yourself?

I'll be doing it myself (i hope; i'll try at least). Aero et al. are far too expensive for my tastes. I hope to keep the cost (excepting my valuable time) under £30.

At home, i have photos of a few more - there's a Japanese company making one - in box check woollens. realy wonderful. A guy at the last Hammersmith vintage fair had one in Green (the same fabric that Aero make the "Waterfront" out of). He only wanted £90 for it, but even my tiny frame wouldn't fit into that tiny boy's jacket. It was probably about a size 32. Would've bought it for the Baroness, but she wasn't a fan.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace