Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any one used this site for suits? (The Harris Tweed Shop)

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I've recently ordered a 3 piece suit and a pair of black trousers from this company and would like to hear from any else who has used the site too. Thanks, TC.

http://www.harristweedshop.com

I haven't yet made a purchase, but I am expecting to buy some cloth from them to use as a lining in an Aero jacket. I have quite taken to this tweed, which is not available elsewhere:

atlanticblue.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
That's quite a coincidence because my 3-piece suit is being made out of that fabric. Its the Atlantic Blue Herringbone. The turn around is about 8 weeks so I figure I have a few more weeks before it turns up yet. Photo's to follow.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
I don't want to hijack the thread but how custom will areo make a jacket? I'd like to do a very luftwaffe inspired jacket with very specific details (to include the lining)

I haven't yet made a purchase, but I am expecting to buy some cloth from them to use as a lining in an Aero jacket. I have quite taken to this tweed, which is not available elsewhere:

atlanticblue.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Philalethes

A-List Customer
That's quite a coincidence because my 3-piece suit is being made out of that fabric. Its the Atlantic Blue Herringbone. The turn around is about 8 weeks so I figure I have a few more weeks before it turns up yet. Photo's to follow.

Wow, a coincidence indeed! I spent about a week looking at every tweed sample I could find, and the Atlantic Blue Herringbone stood out for me (then again, I have a soft spot for blue). I think a suit in that fabric will look quite sharp, and I look forward to the pictures.

By the way, is 19/20 oz. material heavy for a suit? I have some tweed-like herringbone sports coats (I don't think they are real tweed), and they are heavier than most of my other jackets, but I would be surprised if they were that heavy.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I don't want to hijack the thread but how custom will areo make a jacket? I'd like to do a very luftwaffe inspired jacket with very specific details (to include the lining)

Aero seems to specialize in customization. They offered to do everything I asked except make a zip-out lining.

They offer two Luftwaffe jackets on their web site. I am sure that they would be happy to work with you if you email them your preferences. They have a number of linings available, though if you want something that they do not offer, you can do as I am doing and purchase cloth elsewhere to be mailed to them.

Another option for a custom jacket would be U.S. Authentic: although to my recollection they do not offer any Luftwaffe jackets, another member of the forum was able to get one by mailing them detailed pictures and descriptions of what he wanted (basically, a copy of Eastman's Luftwaffe). If you spend some time over at the Outerwear section, you will find a lot of good information.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
By the way, is 19/20 oz. material heavy for a suit? I have some tweed-like herringbone sports coats (I don't think they are real tweed), and they are heavier than most of my other jackets, but I would be surprised if they were that heavy.
19/20-ounce tweed is very heavy for a suit. That's into overcoat-territory. Then again, if it's cold where you live...

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Actually, on that site I considered getting this recently, but what a high price for it. It looks nice, though. I'm hoping I can get a decent deal on something similar to this in a thrift shop or somewhere.

barva-harris-tweed-jacket-manikin.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
Actually, on that site I considered getting this recently, but what a high price for it. It looks nice, though. I'm hoping I can get a decent deal on something similar to this in a thrift shop or somewhere.

Having spent the last couple of months looking at tweed sport jackets, I'll say that $246 for a Harris Tweed is a pretty good deal, even adding in shipping. The few I've seen in stores in NYC were in the range of $450-$850. However, if you are a standard size (say 38R-42R), you will probably have good luck in the thrift stores.

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
I look forward to seeing the pictures! :)

The HT Blue Herringbone suit and a pair of jet black HT trousers which i also ordered arrived last night. On initial inspection they look nice but i have not had time yet to look at them closely in proper daylight or wear the items so hopefully later today I can offer a more definite opinion on the quality. I do own 5 other Harris Tweed jackets so I know what I'm looking for in fit and quality.

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Harris Tweed Shop 3 piece suit in Blue Herringbone tweed

Ok so finally had the chance to take some photo's. I must say i like this suit, the fit is very nice and quite classic in style. Sorry the photo quality is rubbish (Blackberry) however photo 3 is not bad for details providing you don't mind looking at my bottom :) Not sure my brown fedora is quite right either. Possibly a black trilby might have been a better choice. Although seriously thinking of adding the matching flat cap to the suit.

HT2.jpg

HT3.jpg

HT4.jpg

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
The suit looks quite nice - I think the brown fedora looks good, I would definitely go with brown over black.
I'm curious if you measured yourself or if you were able to be measured in person by the Harris Tweed Shop.

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
I like it! That's a very very nice suit! The only thing I've got to suggest is unbuttoning the bottom waistcoat button. Definitely worth the money.

Yes yes quite right, that was an oversight on my part.
The Chap Manifesto rule no.6 THOU SHALT NEVER FASTEN THE LOWEST BUTTON ON THY WESKIT. This one dates back to Edward VII, sufficient reason in itself to observe it

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
The suit looks quite nice - I think the brown fedora looks good, I would definitely go with brown over black.
I'm curious if you measured yourself or if you were able to be measured in person by the Harris Tweed Shop.

Thanks for the comments. The size is not bespoke, the Harris Tweed Shop do ask for a couple of additional measurements but generally if you have a suit that already fits they advise you go by your general size. Most people who wear suits on a regular basis will know their chest and arm length size as well as there waist and leg length and that's about it . Harris Tweed suits tend to be aimed more at people who do things, hunting, golf, playing the trombone and so on and so you can have a bit more movement in them. That's what I like about the fit. I have other suits that are a razor sharp fit but don't allow for the same degree of movement. I hope that makes sense. I am however very pleased with the suit.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Very nice suit! I would have thought it was bespoke. I also like the fact that you say you can move around comfortably in it. I would someday like a nice tweed suit or sportscoat for shooting.

Perhaps you remember that I have been planning on using the same material as a jacket liner. How warm and heavy is the material - specifically, do you think it would be too hot or heavy for a liner? I am looking for something comfortable around 0 C - give or take some (about the 20s - 40s F). How rough is the material? Do you think it would be uncomfortable to have rubbing up against a shirt or sweater? (If it is not too bad, I would be willing to sacrifice a little comfort for the warmth and style.)

Yes yes quite right, that was an oversight on my part.
The Chap Manifesto rule no.6 THOU SHALT NEVER FASTEN THE LOWEST BUTTON ON THY WESKIT. This one dates back to Edward VII, sufficient reason in itself to observe it

I thought that fastening the lower button is optional: the only reason Edward VII did not was because he was portly. Your waistcoat looks fine buttoned, so I would leave it to your discretion.

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Very nice suit! I would have thought it was bespoke. I also like the fact that you say you can move around comfortably in it. I would someday like a nice tweed suit or sportscoat for shooting.

Perhaps you remember that I have been planning on using the same material as a jacket liner. How warm and heavy is the material - specifically, do you think it would be too hot or heavy for a liner? I am looking for something comfortable around 0 C - give or take some (about the 20s - 40s F). How rough is the material? Do you think it would be uncomfortable to have rubbing up against a shirt or sweater? (If it is not too bad, I would be willing to sacrifice a little comfort for the warmth and style.)

Harris Tweed as a lining? Whow that would be very scratchy I think. I wouldn't recommend that at all. Typically suits and trousers made from Harris Tweed require lining otherwise they would be a little uncomfortable. Having said I do have a Harris Tweed scarf and I can just about tolerate the scratchiness as the tweed seems to be a little softer. Some people can get away with it and other can't.

carldelo

One Too Many
Perhaps you remember that I have been planning on using the same material as a jacket liner. How warm and heavy is the material - specifically, do you think it would be too hot or heavy for a liner?

I agree with Tenorclef, I think Harris Tweed would not be a comfortable lining. I was looking through the tweed selection, and noticed they have a wool/silk tweed that is lighter and probably less scratchy:

http://www.harristweedshop.com/tweed-silk-wool.html

I think the beige or pink would make a good lining. In any case, I would write the Harris Tweed Shop and ask their opinion - they may have very warm liner material that isn't listed on the website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred