Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any thoughts or experience with unlined jackets?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don’t have any experience with an unlined leather jacket but I do with a pair of unlined leather shoes. They are an absolute pain to get on and off, they grip like superglue.

I’d never even consider a jacket (or pretty much anything else) unlined ever again because of this one experience....

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I have short deerhide unlined gloves for summer Harley riding.

One fawn and one black pair , bought in 2011 at Daytona bikeweek in Florida

I LOVE them , no fitment or on/off dramas. I wear "lined gauntlets" in what passes for our "winter"

I have never tried an unlined jacket myself but my gloves experience would not put me off

Peacoat

Bartender
Are you specifically thinking about getting an unlined jacket, or has one become available that you like and at a good price? If the former, my question would be, why?

red devil

Are you specifically thinking about getting an unlined jacket, or has one become available that you like and at a good price? If the former, my question would be, why?

It was recommended to me as worth trying, so decided to ask here about it. Never thought about it before

I ripped a he liner mg out of an old Brimaco once. Terrible move. Taking the jacket off was like trying to remove gum from the sole of your shoe.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Leather itself has very little insulation properties, so an unlined jacket may work well in the summer. I can see a white t with an unlined suede jacket working great in the summer without being too warm.

I repeatedly heard they are kind of sticky though.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
No long term experience, but i tried on an unlined Mr Freedom Campus jacket and it felt fine.
It wasn't super sticky or horrible to wear. Unfortunately it didn't fit me and i sent it back, but had it fit i would have kept it.

Gamma68

One Too Many

red devil

Unlined leather jackets look cool but don't seem to be practical.

There was a thread here on the topic of the Schott 571 (unlined CR) in which the consensus was they are uncomfortable.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/any-opinions-on-schott-571-mission-unlined-jackets.90332/

Actually, a Schott customer complained about the lack of a liner for this jacket at the Schott forum: https://www.schottnyc.com/forum/posts/p571_unlined_liner.htm

Thanks for the link, checking them out :)

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I picked up the unlined Levis Menlo this year, really happy with it. No issues with putting it on or taking it off, comfortable over a t-shirt or a shirt.

Not worn it that much over the summer here as it was really warm this year but have been wearing it the last couple of weeks and am really liking it in this kind of pre autumn/end of summer weather. For sure when it gets colder it wont be much use but as a lightweight jacket its filled a gap in my wardrobe and seems to be a keeper.

After owning an unlined jacket for more than six months now, I believe I can safely say that I don't have one single issue to report. For the most part, I'm not even aware of it being unlined anymore so people who see the jacket for the first time have to remind me of that fact.

The inside of the hide is very smooth, no more trouble putting the jacket on or taking it off than I would've have had with any other lined jacket - Thought that may not be the case with all leather.

But yeah, in any case, I see absolutely no drawbacks of wearing an unlined jacket. Some people comment how an unlined jacket doesn't seem "finished" to them but I don't see how this would be any different than any unlined textile jacket.

Also, I don't find it being considerably more wearable in a warm weather, though it is slightly bit more forgiving provided that the sun isn't baking. But you won't get much more wear out of it than from a jacket with a light, uninsluated lining, such as cotton drill. Leather gets hot. Real hot.

Here's my jacket. Aero's Jerky HH.

IMG_20180630_174752_1.jpg

Last edited:

red devil

Seems like it depends a lot on the other side of the leather

@Gamma68 I was surprised that Schott would not add lining retroactively. Not convinced that it can't be done

Edit: just wanted to add that these 2 links were very useful, thanks again :)

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
If it’s then”right” jacket.. meaning style & cut.. the absence of a lining makes no difference. I’ve had
A MF Campus, RRL Wellhouse And have an LVC Menlo and LVC Einstein all are specifically made without a liner and all were/are great jackets, very wearable look great no problems on or off.

Powerband

Practically Family
I own a Mr Freedom Campus jacket, which is unlined. I can report there is no problem with its use, unless you attempt to wear it while sweaty and shirtless... but then you’d have other problems to address.

It is very comfortable and versatile for greater weather and temperature variations.

Initially, however, the unlined leather tended to shed, but after a while of wear, the shedding stops.

Here is a thread about the Campus jacket.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/mister-freedom-campus-in-the-raw.94230/page-7#post-2463321

I owned a Schott unlined jacket and it was a nightmare to wear; it was like wearing a plastic sheet that had perpetual static cling. I am sure it was more a build quality between brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

red devil

I own a Mr Freedom Campus jacket, which is unlined. I can report there is no problem with its use, unless you attempt to wear it while sweaty and shirtless... but then you’d have other problems to address.

It is very comfortable and versatile for greater weather and temperature variations.

Initially, however, the unlined leather tended to shed, but after a while of wear, the shedding stops.

Here is a thread about the Campus jacket.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/mister-freedom-campus-in-the-raw.94230/page-7#post-2463321

I owned a Schott unlined jacket and it was a nightmare to wear; it was like wearing a plastic sheet that had perpetual static cling. I am sure it was more a build quality between brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing!

technovox

One Too Many
I own an unlined padded Bates motorcycle/flat track jacket. It hasn't got much wear yet, since I'm restoring it, but it's very light, and I'm definitely aiming to wear it during warmer temps when riding. Without a lining, it really is a very purpose oriented jacket- just leather and padding, nothing more than what is needed for road protection.

I also have a Schott/Restoration hardware cafe racer that was originally sold as unlined. I ended up putting a lining in it, and it's definitely more comfortable for just casual every day wear.
schott wide.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21